Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Monster Energy
2010 Corolla S
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi , i was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to disable the Tire pressure monitior system yet ? i read on other forums for other toyota's that there is a wire you can cut and ground? does anyone know ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
why would you disable the tpms? its just a light that pops up.
Because you don't want to see the light when you have your winter tires on. And you refuse to pay $400 for new sending units and a service appointment every spring and fall to reprogram the computer for the different sending units.

TPMS is the biggest money grabbing scam going!

·
Registered
09 Corolla S
2,598 Posts
i see. i woulda just deal with the light but if you guys find out anything tell me. i wanna take the tpms out so i can change the tires myself instead of paying 20 per.

·
2001 Camry XLE 1MZ-FE
2001 Camry XLE
1,622 Posts
hi , i was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to disable the Tire pressure monitior system yet ? i read on other forums for other toyota's that there is a wire you can cut and ground? does anyone know ?
I don't know if this will work or not. I read it on one of the forums, it sounded plausible, but I can't be 100% sure it will work.

The guy said he took the TPMS sensors and wrapped them in bubble wrap, and then went to Home Depot and got a 12" length of 3" ABS pipe, maybe it was 4", I can't remember for sure. Along with the ABS pipe he got two 3" end caps. Then he drilled and tapped the endcap with threads to accept a schrader valve, Then he stuffed the TMPS sensors in the ABS pipe, sealed both ends, pressurized the ABS pipe with the TPMS sensors in it to 32 lbs and stuck the pipe in the trunk. All the sensors transmitted to the ECU, and all was well. If the TPMS sensor light comes on, just add some air to the pipe.

If this really does work, and I see no reason it shouldn't, then you can do this once, and never have to worry about programming the damn things, just let them live happily ever after in your trunk, none the wiser.

·
Registered
09 Corolla S
2,598 Posts
I don't know if this will work or not. I read it on one of the forums, it sounded plausible, but I can't be 100% sure it will work.

The guy said he took the TPMS sensors and wrapped them in bubble wrap, and then went to Home Depot and got a 12" length of 3" ABS pipe, maybe it was 4", I can't remember for sure. Along with the ABS pipe he got two 3" end caps. Then he drilled and tapped the endcap with threads to accept a schrader valve, Then he stuffed the TMPS sensors in the ABS pipe, sealed both ends, pressurized the ABS pipe with the TPMS sensors in it to 32 lbs and stuck the pipe in the trunk. All the sensors transmitted to the ECU, and all was well. If the TPMS sensor light comes on, just add some air to the pipe.

If this really does work, and I see no reason it shouldn't, then you can do this once, and never have to worry about programming the damn things, just let them live happily ever after in your trunk, none the wiser.

ive read something similar but it was drilling holes in the pipe and mounting all 4 onto the pipe then filling it up to 32psi.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,628 Posts

It sure sounds like this would work okay.

ive read something similar but it was drilling holes in the pipe and mounting all 4 onto the pipe then filling it up to 32psi.
And it sounds like this would be an even better solution. :thumbsup:

·
Monster Energy
2010 Corolla S
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the ideas but i think im just going to do it the right way and swap out the sensors from my original rims to my new ones , its $100 to do it at the dealer , then i know its done

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,628 Posts
thanks for the ideas but i think im just going to do it the right way and swap out the sensors from my original rims to my new ones , its $100 to do it at the dealer , then i know its done
I had America's Tire Company switch mine when I bought my new wheels for nothing. Why should you have to pay to switch the stems? :confused: They don't need to have anything done at the dealer if you are using your original sensors. ;)

·
Owner of much Obsolete
1986 Corolla GT-S
2,286 Posts
Take a little piece of paper tape it on the dash to cover that TPMS light...and you are good to go.
You'd rather look at a piece of tape on your dash than seeing a light on? Yuck.

Tire pressure light wire is pin 7 on the combination meter (pink on USA/Canada made cars, purple on Japan made cars).

Use that information however you want to.

Jeff

·
Registered
Toyota Corolla XRS
111 Posts
my experience with the metal stems has been a war. as they get older the aluminum gets brittle and just snaps like an old ladys hip. I personally would love to disable the tpms and replace the metal stems for rubbers. remember rubbers never hurt anyone. always practice safe tire inflation. lol:naughty:

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
I'm completely ANTI government nanny typically but TPMS has saved me twice from ruining a 20 inch wheel and tire while on road trips.

Good and bad.

·
Ask your Mother
2009 Corolla XRS
2,035 Posts
You'd rather look at a piece of tape on your dash than seeing a light on? Yuck.

Tire pressure light wire is pin 7 on the combination meter (pink on USA/Canada made cars, purple on Japan made cars).

Use that information however you want to.

Jeff
Best answer on this topic to date...

I just deal with the light personally. The TPMS is handy to have though on my summers. Its a shame they don't offer the ability to program two sets of sensors into the Corollas.

I would leave it though. The light isn't that annoying. But to each their own.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,628 Posts
Best answer on this topic to date...

I just deal with the light personally. The TPMS is handy to have though on my summers. Its a shame they don't offer the ability to program two sets of sensors into the Corollas.

I would leave it though. The light isn't that annoying. But to each their own.
+1

I don't even notice the light after a few days with my winter tires. :thumbsup:

·
markymark975
2009 Corolla XRS
113 Posts
You'll eventually get used to the light. I used to have a 91 supra turbo and one day the airbag light came on and for a whole week, I drove with my head as far back from the steering wheel as possible thinking the airbag was gona bust out any second, but I got used to it after a while. I guess it was just the sensor...was too poor to have it checked out then lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How I disabled TPMS in my 2010 Corolla

After reading on this forum and a couple others mentioning cutting the pink wire (7) on the harness going into the instrument cluster I tried this method but it did not work, I grounded it and it still didn't work....

In the end I read somewhere that it had to be held at 5v. I tested this with a 110v inverter with a 5VDC adapter and touched the + to the pink wire coming out of the cluster and within 3 blinks of the TPMS light it went out and stayed out. I tried to find a 5v line ANYWHERE in the entire car and other than it listing a 5V regulator inside the cluster itself I was pooched it seemed. I ended up tearing apart an unused cigarette phone charger and jury rigging this to create a 5v signal. In the end it works A+ but it was a bit of a hassle. If I had a piece of bread board I would have used a LM7805 regulator and it might not have been so ghetto.

In Canada it's not mandated that we have a working non-modified TPMS system (thank f*@#)
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/roadsafety-1158.htm

I can probably go into more detail if someone requires more instructions on this one.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,628 Posts
After reading on this forum and a couple others mentioning cutting the pink wire (7) on the harness going into the instrument cluster I tried this method but it did not work, I grounded it and it still didn't work....

In the end I read somewhere that it had to be held at 5v. I tested this with a 110v inverter with a 5VDC adapter and touched the + to the pink wire coming out of the cluster and within 3 blinks of the TPMS light it went out and stayed out. I tried to find a 5v line ANYWHERE in the entire car and other than it listing a 5V regulator inside the cluster itself I was pooched it seemed. I ended up tearing apart an unused cigarette phone charger and jury rigging this to create a 5v signal. In the end it works A+ but it was a bit of a hassle. If I had a piece of bread board I would have used a LM7805 regulator and it might not have been so ghetto.

In Canada it's not mandated that we have a working non-modified TPMS system (thank f*@#)
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/roadsafety-1158.htm

I can probably go into more detail if someone requires more instructions on this one.
Amazes me the steps people take to make this safety feature not work. I don't feel that it's a necessary feature but I wouldn't ever try to disable it n a car that has it installed.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts