Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2004 Camry LE
Cars
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I drained my antifreeze last time couple of years ago I drained the radiator, closed the drain cock, and then drained the block.
Filled up the system. It took only one gallon.

Yesterday, while draining the radiator, the antifreeze stopped flowing, like couple of years ago, but I decided to let it go and opened the block drain with the radiator drain cock still opened.. The antifreeze started flowing AGAIN. With the block drain closed it must have created a negative pressure and the old coolant was still in the system.

So.

Open the radiator drain cock.
Let the antifreeze drain.
DO NOT CLOSE THE DRAIN COCK! Open the block drain tube.

I hope this will help somebody.
Sam

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
1,550 Posts
When I drained my antifreeze last time couple of years ago I drained the radiator, closed the drain cock, and then drained the block.
Filled up the system. It took only one gallon.

Yesterday, while draining the radiator, the antifreeze stopped flowing, like couple of years ago, but I decided to let it go and opened the block drain with the radiator drain cock still opened.. The antifreeze started flowing AGAIN. With the block drain closed it must have created a negative pressure and the old coolant was still in the system.

So.

Open the radiator drain cock.
Let the antifreeze drain.
DO NOT CLOSE THE DRAIN COCK! Open the block drain tube.

I hope this will help somebody.
Sam
That is exactly how I do it somick.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When I drain my wife's 2006 Camry (2.4L 4-cyl) it is a little more than a gallon and a half that comes out. The theoretical capacity (from the manual) is 6.6 quarts so this is nearly everything.

Some other hints: if you lift the hose a crack but leave it in the overflow tank and do not take off the radiator cap, the first thing to drain will by suction will be the overflow tank. AFTER the overflow tank is empty then remove the radiator cap and open block drain, to speed up draining.

It is very easy to lift the overflow tank out in this particular car and turn over to drain any remaining. I recall there's no screws or bolts at all holding it down, you just lift it straight up and out.

·
2004 Camry LE
Cars
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And, make sure heat is turned to full blast on? To drain heater core?
Funny! I have been servicing my cars for almost thirty years but that was the first time in my life I remembered it.
Some other hints: if you lift the hose a crack but leave it in the overflow tank and do not take off the radiator cap, the first thing to drain will by suction will be the overflow tank. AFTER the overflow tank is empty then remove the radiator cap and open block drain, to speed up draining.
I should try in next time. Thanks for sharing.

Sam

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
1,550 Posts
Funny! I have been servicing my cars for almost thirty years but that was the first time in my life I remembered it.

I should try in next time. Thanks for sharing.

Sam
And, make sure heat is turned to full blast on? To drain heater core?
Doesn't matter where the heat is set. Coolant circulates through the heater anytime the engines operating. Heat setting is obtained by mixing incoming air going through the heater and around it by servo motor.

·
2004 Camry LE
Cars
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doesn't matter where the heat is set. Coolant circulates through the heater anytime the engines operating. Heat setting is obtained by mixing incoming air going through the heater and around it by servo motor.
Good to know.

Sam

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have another car that uses a combination of a flow control valve and mixing flaps, along with the AC compressor, to regulate temperature.

Am I understanding correctly that the Gen 4 and later Camrys and the Solaras of the same era use no flow control valve at all for coolant through the heater core and all temperature regulation is via mixing flaps and the inclusion or exclusion of AC at the same time?

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
1,550 Posts
I have another car that uses a combination of a flow control valve and mixing flaps, along with the AC compressor, to regulate temperature.

Am I understanding correctly that the Gen 4 and later Camrys and the Solaras of the same era use no flow control valve at all for coolant through the heater core and all temperature regulation is via mixing flaps and the inclusion or exclusion of AC at the same time?
That is correct. See if you can find a valve in the heater inlet/outlet hoses. There isn't such. Regards

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mr. George,

Thanks much. Would you mind taking a look at this topic, techinfo.toyota.com and TIS (Technical Information System) , that I started in the General forum about a month ago? (Anyone else who wishes to, please do as well).

I can't believe that after 600 eyes (and counting) have been on this topic that no one has the answer to what I thought was a reasonably straightforward question.

I'd love to download my technical service documents - workshop manuals, service bulletins, etc. - straight from the horse's mouth but am uncertain whether I can or not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts