Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Corolla DX
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 96 Corolla DX (65k miles) with everything stock as far as the engine is concerned. How can I get better acceleration and speed? Cold Air Intake? Seafoam? Any suggestions? I'm a noob by the way.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yeah!

The only bad thing to happen to mine in 7 years owned was at about 80,000 miles when I drove eradically on the way to my sister's wedding. I was gunning the engine with the ac blaring at about 95 degrees for an hour because I thought I would be late. Then on the way back home that night I guess I didn't get over it and gunned it again pretty hard while going up a long hill. I thought I had a race car. The tranny broke ($1300).

My point: this is not a race car. Whenever I go over 60 mph I worry that something bad will happen. This is a grandma car:eek:: But with the uncertainty of fuels in the Obama future, I am pretty happy that I don't buy something better. I am proud of this beater:smokin:

·
Registered
1996 Corolla DX
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I don't want it to be a race car and I know its not a race car, I just want to do little, low cost things that would give it better acceleration and MPG. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
567 Posts
If you don't know the status on the following, change it anyway:

iridium plugs: get ngk (cheapest)
wires: toyota (expensive)
cap and rotor
seafoam: brake booster, crankcase (then change), gas tank, throttle body (toothbrush too)
k & N air filter (less resistance)
You can drill holes in the air filter box on the inward side.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla CE
160 Posts
If you don't know the status on the following, change it anyway:

iridium plugs: get ngk (cheapest)
wires: toyota (expensive)
cap and rotor
seafoam: brake booster, crankcase (then change), gas tank, throttle body (toothbrush too)
k & N air filter (less resistance)
You can drill holes in the air filter box on the inward side.

In addition to that, you could upgrade the exhaust and add OBX headers, but that could take a dent out of your wallet.

Although my 1997 CE doesn't have the acceleration and quickness comparable to my Stang or my 350Z, with a manual transmission, this car definitely has a little pep to it when driving around town.

JT

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
Honestly, there's not much that can be done to xA-FE engines as they don't really respond that well to modifications since it's an engine built for economy and reliability. IMO, if you're serious about improving your car's performance, then you should save up for an engine swap, 4A-GE or 4A-GZE.

I/H/E and any other bolt on's you can think of won't get you that 60hp increase that a swap can.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Personally I wouldn't run k&n filters but a fresh OEM yota one would do the trick just keep in top of changing it!

·
Registered
1996 Corolla DX
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know what, you guys are right, I think I'll just leave it alone, I'll do seafoam and that's it. Thanks though.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Have you taken apart your upper plenum and cleaned it out?

·
Registered
1997 Corolla CE
160 Posts
Personally I wouldn't run k&n filters but a fresh OEM yota one would do the trick just keep in top of changing it!
I've used K&N filters in every car I've previously owned, and currently own, and I've noticed at least a 2 MPG increase over resrtictive paper air filters. I think it's a good investment because, for the cost of one K&N ($44.99 - Advance Autoparts), you save money in the long run because you don't have to replace it since it's cleanable and reusable as compared to say the cheapest paper filter (Purolator $10.89 - Advance Autoparts).

To equal the cost of one K&N, one would have to replace a paper filter 4 times. However, I'm sure that that paper filter will be replaced more than 4 times if that person maintains the car regularly. So if you add up the cost of frequently replacing a paper filter, it will add up and total more than the cost of the K&N.

The K&N is cost effective and, like I said, will improve MPG.
There are places online where you can get a K&N for a few dollars cheaper you just have to shop around for the best price.

·
Registered
398 Posts
JT I too use to believe the samething and put K&N in alot of the vehicles I previously owned. I still have one on my supra that I'll change out eventually.

But when I had an 04 F350 w/ K&N it killed 2 VGT turbo's. Alot of guys on the Diesel forums have tested the K&N agianst alot of other filters. Although it doesn't have much restriction it does not filter well. Intake tube was always nasty.. I did not over oil it and know how to properly take care of it. I sold the truck of course and bought on 04 Tundra(best truck I've owned)..
Also on Tundrasolutions.com there was a fellow that tested the K&N agianst the yota filter. Although it offered almost 1 psi difference in flow it filtered horribly compared to stock and didn't offer any performance nor fuel mileage savings.
Although the Intake on the 4.7 is very effective stock on the 1st gen Tundra. The only aftermarket filter cleanable filter that showed better flow and filtering was made by trueflow filters. It is an oiless dry filter.
As far as the tundra went like I said the intake tract was the best you could get so all it did was replace the tube with a slightly bigger one and kept the air box and of course a drop in filter.
I went that route with a Napa gold 1515 oil filter and synthetic oil for a few years before selling it earlier this year and for 120k miles no problems and oil drained as clean as it went in needless to say i was impressed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Do youself a huge big favor and stay away from the likes of seafoam. Change your oil regularly and check your tire pressure before any long trips. I'm running 195/60R14's and I'll inflate to 40psi. I've found that gives me the best gas mileage. Check your air filter and you should be fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts