Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Toy. 4runner
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used '99 4runner off a dealer. Problem is I only have the valet key with it. I took it to Toyota and they ran the VIN # and couldn't find info on it to make me a key, and said i Would have to disassemble the passenger door to get the info for making a key. What? So I was wondering if anyone has advice on how to get a key made. Would be nice to lock my glove compartment box.

Thanks!

·
Registered
251 Posts
The dealer ran the VIN and couldn't find it? lol, uhh, try a locksmith. They can run the VIN too. Maybe they'll have better luck...

·
Registered
1999 Toy. 4runner
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The dealer ran the VIN and couldn't find it? lol, uhh, try a locksmith. They can run the VIN too. Maybe they'll have better luck...
Exactly, Toyota couldn't find the specs on it to make a key. What foolishness is that? I just stared at the Parts person dumbfounded and wonder what this is about. I remember now why I stopped dealing with the morons at parts and service for Toyota in the first place. Can't make a key for a Toyota? Are they THAT stupid?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm sure even if the locksmith can't find info on it for whatever reason, it shouldn't cost much to put in a new lock for the glove box. That way you'll have a separate key.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts