Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All -

I'd like to get on a waiting list for the RAV4 PRIME. This is a very compelling vehicle and I expect there will be many others who which to buy this vehicle.

Can I do that through a dealership? Are there any "Gotchas" for signing up on a wait list through a dealership?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Sincerely,
Scott Alexander
Gilroy CA

·
Registered
Corolla, Camry, Tundra, Camry, Avalon, Highlander, Venza, Highlander
3,910 Posts
I'll wait a year for demand to settle. And, if it is overhyped, will get the regular hybrid RAV4.

No way would I ever overpay for a vehicle.

·
Read Only
3,919 Posts
Hello All -

I'd like to get on a waiting list for the RAV4 PRIME. This is a very compelling vehicle and I expect there will be many others who which to buy this vehicle.

Can I do that through a dealership? Are there any "Gotchas" for signing up on a wait list through a dealership?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Sincerely,
Scott Alexander
Gilroy CA
In the USA, new cars are only sold through dealers (with minor exceptions in some states granted to companies like Tesla). Being on a "waiting list" is no guarantee of availability or price.

When you go to the Toyota dealer, make sure you take a jar of Vaseline.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the USA, new cars are only sold through dealers (with minor exceptions in some states granted to companies like Tesla). Being on a "waiting list" is no guarantee of availability or price.

When you go to the Toyota dealer, make sure you take a jar of Vaseline.
That's pretty funny, and yet a little sad! However, this vehicle should qualify for the $7,500 federal tax credit, and (probably) a state tax credit as well, so I fully expect the RAV4 PRIME to be AT LEAST $7,500 more than the XSE or the Limited. Some sources on the web were speculating 2-3K more, but I do think that's very optimisitc. Also, I have signed up to be notified for updates on this vehicle (of course). I wish Toyota handled their waiting lists more like Tesla - if they had an immediate 30K signed up on the waiting list, that's a pretty good indication of what the future demand will be. I don't mind paying full sticker, but I'm not going to pay $5K more
Sincerely,
Scott

·
Read Only
3,919 Posts
I wish Toyota handled their waiting lists more like Tesla - if they had an immediate 30K signed up on the waiting list, that's a pretty good indication of what the future demand will be. I don't mind paying full sticker, but I'm not going to pay $5K more
As I explained above, that is not permissible by law in many states. In most all states, auto dealers cannot be owned by the manufacturer, and the auto manufacturer cannot sell direct to the consumer. Tesla got a special exemption to sell direct in some states (but not all).

You can read about Tesla's ability (or inability) to sell direct to the consumer in various states here:

Not only cannot Toyota sell direct to the consumer (or even take orders from consumers) by law, they only sell to regional distributors, not directly to the dealers. Then the dealer buys the vehicles from the regional distributor. Even today, there are two regional distributors (Gulf States Toyota, and Southeast Toyota) in the USA that are not owned by Toyota and are completely independent companies. Toyota granted them perpetual distributor licenses more than 50 years ago (when all Toyota's were imported from Japan), and they cannot force those distributors to sell the distributorship back to Toyota USA.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's pretty funny, and yet a little sad! However, this vehicle should qualify for the $7,500 federal tax credit, and (probably) a state tax credit as well, so I fully expect the RAV4 PRIME to be AT LEAST $7,500 more than the XSE or the Limited. Some sources on the web were speculating 2-3K more, but I do think that's very optimisitc. Also, I have signed up to be notified for updates on this vehicle (of course). I wish Toyota handled their waiting lists more like Tesla - if they had an immediate 30K signed up on the waiting list, that's a pretty good indication of what the future demand will be. I don't mind paying full sticker, but I'm not going to pay $5K more
Sincerely,
Scott
The Prius Prime starts at only about $3k more than the Prius standard hybrid. I expect the RAV4 Prime SE trim to start therefore at around $33k-$35k max. In Norway, the pricing is out, and the cheapest RAV4 PHEV starts at 6% more than the cheapest RAV4 Hybrid trim. In the USA, this would mean closer to $30k for the SE trim RAV4 Prime, but trims aren't the same from country to country. I think that dealerships will sell the RAV4 Prime for MSRP with little or no discounts, but in my state, the RAV4 Prime will be eligible for $9000 in federal tax credits plus state rebates, so if the SE trim comes out to $35k, say, we'd be paying only about $26k for it after credits/rebates.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just so you know. The federal tax incentive is only available to the original first owner. If the RAV4 prime is 16kwh then the rebate will be just above $7000,

·
Registered
16 Posts
BamaGuy is correct, it won't qualify for the full 7,500$
Call your dealer and fill out an order form, sales begin june 20

·
Registered
RAV4 Prime XSE Premium, Venza Limited
30 Posts
How do you know sales begin June 20th?
Wow you are as desperate for info as I am! I've noticed your posts at Torque News, RAV4World and here. I was told a couple of months ago that it would be the end of this year or later for deliveries but things have changed. Normally the order info is released two or three of months ahead of the first deliveries. I now believe the June date for pricing and orders may be true. Please note that nothing official has been released by Toyota. Good luck to the both of us.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
1,159 Posts

I’m curious as to whether everyone who buys one plans on plugging it in. The battery can be charged with the ICE but it’s not known how long it takes to fully charge the 18kwh battery. Plugging it in to regular household current takes 12-14h to charge up.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I’m curious as to whether everyone who buys one plans on plugging it in. The battery can be charged with the ICE but it’s not known how long it takes to fully charge the 18kwh battery. Plugging it in to regular household current takes 12-14h to charge up.
My commute (when we actually return to the office) is about 22 miles round-trip, so I think I could keep it in EV mode, plug it in when I get home to a standard outlet, and start each morning with a full charge. And if I forget, or it's not convenient to do so, not a big deal since I can switch it (or put it in "auto") to HV mode.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts