Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Registered
PRIME IS NOT GOING TO SAVE MONEY

Assuming the national average cost of electricity at .12 cents per kWh it will cost $2.17 to fully charge the 18.1 kWh battery to travel 42 miles.

Does anyone see a problem with these numbers?

My current 2019 Rav 4 hybrid can travel 42-44 miles on one gallon of gasoline which cost me just over $2 per gallon 馃

I understand gas fluctuates more than electricity but even if gasoline goes to $4.17 a gallon it will take 56,000 miles before I would recoup the price difference I paid for my XLE ($27,900) and the Prime SE after the tax rebate of $7,500 assuming you can purchase for msrp.

Registered
PRIME IS NOT GOING TO SAVE MONEY
You鈥檙e probably correct; if you鈥檙e looking for the least expensive RAV4 to own, it may not be the Prime, even if fuel savings (if any) are factored in.

Seems to line up with how Toyota is positioning it around the performance aspects of the Prime, and how it鈥檚 equipping the SE and XSE.

I鈥檓 wondering what will happen when the federal tax credit winds down or goes away. Is some of the premium between the hybrid and the Prime just so that the pricing 鈥渕akes sense鈥 when you compare the two, net of the credit?

Registered
2016 Highlander LE +, 2004 Highlander Limited 4WD
Curious how many are interested in this, not necessarily for any $ savings, but to reduce your carbon footprint (?). My commute is around 25 miles round trip. I would love to go full EV, but I really like the fact that this still has ICE/Hybrid for those times where I need to drive more than the EV range (maybe unexpectedly). I鈥檓 also the kind of person who plans to keep a vehicle a while (my current car I鈥檝e had for 17 years). With EV technology constantly changing and improving, I feel like the RAV4 Prime might a good middle ground until EV is fully mainstream. Maybe I鈥檓 not thinking it through enough.

Registered
OP, I don't know why you would want to be on a waiting list. That rampant enthusiasm to have a Prime (for whatever reason) will cost you $5100-10,000 over MSRP (in San Jose, 15 miles north of you). Or... wait 6-9 months and let the over eager buyers pay out the nose for initial inventory and then investigate pricing when things cool off. Of course, if you have $10,000 you just want to throw away...

straight cash homie

Registered
After a brief break, I have been taking a peak at prices again for an XSE. In general, around norcal, hybrids are typically running about $36-38K. Primes are running $49-54K. There are a few dealers trying to tack on an extra $8K beyond that with most "only" adding $2-3K I find the rationalization of getting a $7500 fed tax credit bogus. If I spend an incremental $12-15K I can get 7500 back? Lose a little on every buy but make it up in volume? The one advantage is getting a FasTrak pass for commuter lanes. Is that worth $6-8000? Maybe things will cool down in late December.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts