Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there all,
I am currently rocking the 1997 Avalon XLS, ovbiously from the login name, I have a clarion drx9575xz as my head unit it's going to a directed 600d mono amp pushing my dual Kicker CompVR's the dvc ones, and to a Phoenix gold 200x2 amp that's pushing my MB Quart reference series coax/components. The interior speakers are running as two channels, L and R. The main reason that I joined this forum, aside from talking with other toyo lovers, is to ask for suggestions/ advice about how to deal with my subs. I love the CVR's and I am a big fan of fifteens in general, they are however in a slightly undersized sealed box and I think I am losing more of the lower end than I like. I was wondering if anyone out there has built any box/ boxes for two fifteens I have them running in series, bridged to a 1ohm load. My major concern is not about interior trunk size, but about getting this in the trunk, the biggest box I've gotten in there is 17x14.5, height and depth (the length isn't really an issue, my current box is 36 inches, but at least 42 could fit. Give me any suggestions you have. thanks

·
nub
313 Posts
i heard that putting pillow/blanket stuffing in a box will make it act like its bigger...doesn't really make sense to me though truthfully.

i believe there are programs out there that will allow you to put in the max dimensions for a possible box and what you need for volume and it will pump out the specs.

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
^Yeah I also heard about stuffing the box, but I heard about putting crushed up newspapers in it. The pillow or balnket sounds more practical to me though.

·
I get angry when Im sober
1,858 Posts
you're supposed to use polyfill... what size are the subs you currently have? 12s will (most likely) play all the way down to 20 Hz (which is the lowest most people can hear). Maybe you should just build/buy a new box for the subs.

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
i just threw a piece of wood i had into my trunk and drilled a hole:eek: mine sounds great for a speaker i pulled from the trash and an amp i found it next to

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
stealth,
I have 15's and I used polyfill. I can definately hear an improvement, how much should be in the box? I filled the chamber about 2/5 of the way and batted it down a bit.

·
Registered
392 Posts
It's not the box it's the subs. I have heard and played lots of 12in kickers and the lower frequency bass just doesnt satisfy most people. Don't get offended but if you got 15in subs and your low end is not any sufficient that's not good. 15in subs will play as low as 15 hz. Because you have 15in subs i will say maybe you need a crossover to help you get the low frequencies you want. Also you may want to go to a ported box. I think this will help you get the sound you want.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
You can basically build the box as big as you can, as long as you have a min of 1.8^ft net per sub, the larger the box the deeper the sub will go. A crossover will do nothing to improve your low end...does you amp have a subsonic filter? if it does turn it off.

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I truely don't know much about amps, electricity was always my weakest area of physics, as a result, I have always just gotten by knowing as little as I need to about my amps. That said, I have a Directed 600d that is pushing the subs, does anyone know about what if any subsonic filter it may have?

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
Do you have D2 or D4 ohms, it seems that you might not be getting all the power out of that amp. That amp is rated 600 at 1ohm, I do not believe it has a SSF. If you bought dual 2 ohm subs that would be cool, cause then you just need to add another 600D amp and each sub will get 600 watts each :thumbup: Im sure your lowend would definitely come alive. Let me know so I can help.

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how can I tell what type of ohm rating the subs are?

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
look at the back of the sub

1 - 13 of 13 Posts