Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
2014 Super White Rolla S
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, another quick little install guide on putting in the OEM Toyota splash/mud guards. It was super easy and only took me about 45 minutes. I bought mine from my local Toyota dealer parts department, I am friends with him so he gave me a deal on them, 64 bucks. Your price may vary, list is like 85 bucks on them. Antomir mentioned that he got them cheaper (55) when he bought the front and back separately rather than the 4 piece set, so that might be worth looking into.

The tools you will need are pretty simple.

Phillips screwdriver, stubby preferred.

Drill with a 5/32ish drill bit. Could be a little bigger or smaller, I chose this size because it was just smaller than the threads of the screws, I'm sure 7/32 would work fine too as the kit comes with screw thread things.

Sharpie or other marking device to mark the holes for drilling.

Floor jack and wrench to take rear wheels off. You can use the spare floor jack and tire iron if you have to. Socket size is 21mm. I also reccomend a torque wrench to tighten the lugs to spec (76 lbs-ft) when you are done.

Time to complete: less than an hour
Cost: ~65 USD
Difficulty: Easy 2/10
Special tools required: None

Here is the installation manual from Toyota in PDF form. I didn't follow this as it is pretty straight forward. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0176/5842/files/PU060-12114-P1.pdf

The front is super easy and only takes a minute or two for each side. turn your steering wheel all the way to either the left or right depending on what side you want to do so you have more room. Line up the mudguard and screw it in. There are 3 screws for each side. The screw that has the 10mm/phillips head goes on the bottom and the two smaller phillips go on the inside lip. Clean where it will go before hand because it will be your last chance.

For the back side we need to remove the tires. Use either a jack or the one that is in the trunk to replace the spare tire to lift the car off the ground. If you have jack stands you should put the car on them for safety, I didn't and I am still alive so yeah.

You should lift the car from the bottom pinchweld or the axle.

Hold the new mudguard in place and use something to mark the holes for drilling. The two bottom holes already have a small indent where you need to drill so really you only need to do the top one.

Drill the holes just enough to go through the bumper, do not drill through the plastic wheel well housing. I used a 5/32 drill bit but anything close should work.

Next slide the screw retainers from the inside lip of the bumper. The three small ones go on the side of the bumper and the bigger one goes on the bottom.

The three smaller screws (RED) go on the vertical side. The larger screw that has the 10mm socket/phillips head goes on the inside (BLUE). And the large phillips goes on the bottom (GREEN)

Before you put them on you should clean all the road grime and dirt off, after all this will be your last chance to get under there.
Screw order doesn't really matter just screw them in while holding the mudguard tight to the car.

Throw your wheel back on and tighten the bolts before lowering the car. After the car is on the ground torque to 76.

Rinse and repeat for the other side.

Finished product:

List of all of my DIY's:

How to upgrade your front door speakers.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/377-11th-gen-corolla-2014-scion-im-2016/1326313-how-upgrade-your-front-door-speakers.html

How to install a QI wireless charger hidden inside the dash cubby.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/377-11th-gen-corolla-2014-scion-im-2016/1313225-how-install-qi-wireless-charger-hidden-inside-dash-cubby.html#post10926033

How to paint the interior trim accent pieces.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/377-11th-gen-corolla-2014-scion-im-2016/1323121-how-paint-interior-trim-accent-pieces-your-rolla-project-red-part-1-a.html

How to install the OEM Mudguards.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/377-11th-gen-corolla-2014-scion-im-2016/1317641-how-install-oem-mudguards-your-2014-toyota-corolla.html#post10963009

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey guys, another quick little install guide on putting in the OEM Toyota splash/mud guards. It was super easy and only took me about 45 minutes. I bought mine from my local Toyota dealer parts department, I am friends with him so he gave me a deal on them, 64 bucks. Your price may vary, list is like 85 bucks on them.
Your friend ripped you off. I got mine for $55. The key is to order the front kit separately from the rear kit. If you buy all 4 mudguards together it's more.

·
2015 Corolla LE
507 Posts
My dealer said they would install for $25. I fair price as far as I'm concerned. I don't feel very good about drilling holes into my new Corolla. I changed my mind and gave them to the parts dept. I my well put some on in the future. I will gladly pay $25 for someone to do it.

Good guide anyway. Thanks for all those who do their own work.

·
2014 Super White Rolla S
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your friend ripped you off. I got mine for $55. The key is to order the front kit separately from the rear kit. If you buy all 4 mudguards together it's more.
Eh, still happy with them nonetheless. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
My dealer said they would install for $25. I fair price as far as I'm concerned. I don't feel very good about drilling holes into my new Corolla. I changed my mind and gave them to the parts dept. I my well put some on in the future. I will gladly pay $25 for someone to do it.

Good guide anyway. Thanks for all those who do their own work.
Ya, that's a good deal considering it's normally minimum 60-90 for labor.
If I were still 30 and enjoyed crawling around under my cars, I'd laugh at $25.
Today, it's worth $25 to avoid dragging out the jack.

The Toyota instructions are always very clear, but better pictures from users are always a big help.
Thanks!

·
2014 Super White Rolla S
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya, that's a good deal considering it's normally minimum 60-90 for labor.
If I were still 30 and enjoyed crawling around under my cars, I'd laugh at $25.
Today, it's worth $25 to avoid dragging out the jack.

The Toyota instructions are always very clear, but better pictures from users are always a big help.
Thanks!
Yeah, that was my mentality when making the guide, it's always easier to look at real pictures rather than the 2D computer made ones in the guide.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
Also very helpful because more and more, Toyota is not including instructions with the parts, instead referring to TIS.
While most sheets are available if you Google them by part number, I imagine sooner or later the pdf's will dry up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts