Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Mr. Ed
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was wondering about the people who have lowering springs installed.

Q: Did you guys happen to do it yourself? If not, and took it to the shop, how much did they charge u? any shop

I asked the dealer, of course they are always more expensive, but they quoted me somewhere like $700+

I asked National Tire & Battery(NTB) and they quoted me $500+

Is it possible to do it yourself? If so, what kind of tools do I need and does anybody happen to know exactly step by step? PM me if its not to any trouble,or you can post it here

pix would always be nice :) Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
6,508 Posts
i got my installed for 270... try to find a good place. if you're a noob at it, chances are you'll botch the job. Pay under 300, and ull be happy u did.

·
Mr. Ed
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had it done at the dealer: $667 parts and labor, not cheap but easy. They ordered them for me as well.
parts and labor? man..sounds like a good deal compared to what they quoted me, they said 700 was jux labor! i was like fuck that sh*t! or maybe i misunderstood, i hope i did :hammer:

ill try n do my homework

anybody in Dallas got it done for cheap?

·
Premium Member
6,508 Posts
parts and labor? man..sounds like a good deal compared to what they quoted me, they said 700 was jux labor! i was like fuck that sh*t! or maybe i misunderstood, i hope i did :hammer:

ill try n do my homework

anybody in Dallas got it done for cheap?
lol i like how you bleeped the S word, but not for the f word hahahaha.

Tolbeit got a GREAT deal, esp. since he has full warranty on his car AND his springs under Toyota. Try to get a quote from the dealership sex & trd. Thats the best way to go!

·
Take it easy... :-)
'08 XLE
3,018 Posts

Tolbeit got a GREAT deal, esp. since he has full warranty on his car AND his springs under Toyota. Try to get a quote from the dealership sex & trd. Thats the best way to go!
Peach is right...I did it at the dealer where I bought and service the car so that I never had to argue about warranty. Oh, to make it complete that price also included $80 bucks or so for alignment, which the dealer required. But it sounded like Toyota has a standard price to do that work. Your dealer should be able to do the same.

·
Mr. Ed
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

:D lol didnt realize that

Peach is right...I did it at the dealer where I bought and service the car so that I never had to argue about warranty. Oh, to make it complete that price also included $80 bucks or so for alignment, which the dealer required. But it sounded like Toyota has a standard price to do that work. Your dealer should be able to do the same.
yea the alignment is like $89, but yea ima call em up again n check to make sure i heard wrong cause $700 for just labor is crazy, maybe ill try n tlk to them on waiving the alignment fee lol who knows

·
Mr. Ed
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i got mine installed for 150 at a local motorsport shop. just gotta fidn the right places. see if anyone on the forum is willing to install it for a cheaper price. look aroudn the off-roader section. there usually geniuses about suspension.

oh alright, will check on that, do U wanna do it for me?! :D lol jk jk

yea i hope i can find a cheap place to do it

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
I did it myself and with 2 other members here, the dealer was going to charge about $450 I believe ($75 an hour)

·
07 Camry SE V6
82 Posts
i got mines installed for $150 at a local shop...

dealer was going to charge $450 plus $105 for alignment...

·
2GR FTW
2007 Toyota Camry SE
1,543 Posts
Try to get ahold of a service manual or repair manual for your car, there should be some diagrams in there. But it's not extremely hard to do, all you mainly have to do is rent out a spring compressor. It may be only about 10 bolts to remove including the wheel for each strut and it should be off.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I did it myself with a copy of the service manual by my side. All you really need is a spring compressor and some basic wrenches and sockets. Took me a good half day to do it taking my time, having lunch and reading the manual over and over again. If your good with your hands and have worked on cars before you should be fine. I had never worked on cars with struts and it wasnt that bad, you just have to use common sense. This really isnt a DIY write-up but heres some pics and what you need to know.

First off, make sure your working on a flat surface and have the wheels blocked and the e-brake engaged (Again the common sense remark). I worked on the front first then moved to the rear, its up to you how you want to tackle it.

Heres a pic of what your trying to install

Once you have the car jacked up and the wheel of, this is what it looks like

You will want to remove the bolt right above the rotor in the pic. Theres another one right below that one, you just cant see it in the pic.

You will also need to remove these 3 nuts in order to pull the strut off.

Once you remove the strut, you have to use a compressor to remove the spring pressure and you can take off the top piece of the strut. Refer to your manual for this. Once you remove the stock spring, compress the TRD spring and put it back in there going backwards of the dissasembly. This is what it will look like installed.

Make sure you seat the spring in the pocket.

Its pretty much the same to do the rear, but its a lot harder to get to the top 3 nuts of the strut because there behind the seat under the rear plastic cover. This would be the end result.

Obviously Ive left out A LOT of steps and stuff you have to do but like I said, refer to the service manual and take your time. Theres no need to waste your money having it installed by someone else. Do it yourself.

·
Touge Star
2000 Toyota Camry LE
2,691 Posts
Got mine installed at a local wheel and tire place for roughly $150. I remember that the guys screwed around with one of my ABS sensors, and I had to go back and tell them to fix it several times. They never did so I ended up taking it to the dealership to get the problem fixed. If you don't install them yourself, make sure the shop does it right the first time.

·
Mr. Ed
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh thanks a lot eddie, yeah i wanted to do it myself but i jux dont have the time, maybe when spring break comes around i can but we'll see

man everyone is getting some good deals on the installation, i called a couple of my dealerships n they quoted me $700-800+ just for labor, some was with alignment but still, hearing a few ppl gettin theres for like 600 with alignment or parts or both! stupid texas!

i know this is a stupid question but if i was to look in the yellow pages, exactly where would it be under? :D cause i mean i was looking through it today and i called a few companies that advertise repairs or something but saw that they do struts n i called in n they said that they dont do lowering kits :confused:

eddie, thanks for the finishing pix, i was thinking about asking ppl to show a pix of their car that is a non SE n w/out a lip and on top of that, my friend's brother in-law has an IS and fixed it up big time n was seeing if i wanted his rims, never heard of him, but was curious on how it looked like, very nice :)

·
Mr. Ed
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got mine installed at a local wheel and tire place for roughly $150. I remember that the guys screwed around with one of my ABS sensors, and I had to go back and tell them to fix it several times. They never did so I ended up taking it to the dealership to get the problem fixed. If you don't install them yourself, make sure the shop does it right the first time.
oh really? how could you tell?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts