Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 89 Camry LE 4Cyl/auto that I can't get to start. Battery has juice and wont start even with a jump. Nothing really happens when I turn the key. I'm assuming it is a bad connection with the starter. Where do I hook the positive jumper cable to the starter to "pop" start it. I just need to drive it about 3 miles back to my garage for teardown.

Thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
96 Camry Coupe
1,291 Posts
There is a positive connection on your starter. Place the (+) of the cable there and the (-) on the battery, then try to jump it.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Pop starting can only be done on Manual transmission cars. Thats where you roll the car while your foot is on the clutch and then you drop it and turn the car over using the wheels and not the started.

If theres a way to do it in an Auto, then please tell me.

When using a portable booster/charger thats called "Jump Starting."

·
Mitsubishi Diamante Owner
'03 Diamante
1,743 Posts
He's not talking about that Gridlyne. There is a way you can hook up a wire from the starter to the battery or whatever and start your car if your ignition is bad. I've seen it done in installing car stereos a few times when customers said we messed up their car.

·
Grenaded piston
6,594 Posts
You'll see a black wire with a brown plug on it that plugs into the starter. Its not the big cable that goes to the starter.

Anyways you unplug the black wire, shove a wire into the slot on the starter where the black wire was, and touch the other end of the wire to the positive (+) terminal on the battery.

The ignition needs to be on though. Otherwise the motor will just crank over, but not start.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys.

Still having trouble getting it to do anything. Ignition was on, then I hooked up the jumper cables from the other camry, it just made a clicking noise so today I'm taking the battery and starter to autozone so they can test them, plus I'll need to check all the fuses. Thanks.

·
Grenaded piston
6,594 Posts
The clicking noise is from the starter. Its usually from worn out starter contacts.

Have you tried doing what I said above?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just went thru something similar. Clicking noise from the starter. Took it in, checked good. Thought it was the battery, took it in, checked good. Turned out to be the alternator. It was draining the battery which in turn wasn't able to supply enough current to the starter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts