Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the signs of this.. I dunno its kinda weird for me. in my camry driving down bumpy roads i get a weird somewhat of a hallow feel and sound from the rears shocks, i'm assuming its the shocks sinces i'm going over bumps and what not. The front makes no sounds what so ever but the backs do. Is it possble for them of have blown?

·
Registered
750 Posts
It's possible, but I'm not sure what a hallow sound refers to. You could always check them for signs of leaking and do the push test. Push down on the corner of the bumper and the car should return smoothly and not bounce more than twice.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hallow like a knock on the a very light and thin door. thats the sound i get on like the return bounce from the shocks

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
The sound could be from blown rear strut mounts... those tend to go after a while as well.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ideally how much are rear struts and mounts ?

should i change them as a set, like front and back?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just recently replaced the front struts on my 86 Camry LE. It's not too bad of a job, just make sure to use a proper spring compressor, and take your time. A hollow sound from the rear end doesn't always mean shocks...

The commonly accepted method for a pre-drive test of shock absorbers is as follows;

Press down on one corner of the car, compressing the suspension. Release. If it bounces excessively, the dampers/shocks are worn and should be replaced. Also, a noticeable change in how the car drives can determine if a shock should be replaced. "It drives like a wheeled pogo-stick."

EDIT: Ideally, the shocks should be replaced all at the same time. If one is going, the rest may or may not follow. If you replace two at a time, do both front struts or both back struts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts