Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to take a road trip from Florida to New York with my kids in the Corolla 2007. I'm trying to think of a way to use digital audio books instead of the CDs. There's no kind of jack or anything to plug any kind of device in. Is there any easy way to do this? Or do I need to just stick with the CDs and their scratches?

·
Marie the Fox
97 Posts
Do what I did and spend about $180 on a new stereo, theres a lot of youtube videos on how to put it in. If you order from crutchfield they throw in the wiring kit and brackets for free plus custom install instructions

my pioneer stereo has USB and you can control your iphone/ipod/whatver directly from the buttons on the radio, it also has built in Pandora if you have the app on your phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
09 Matrix, 09 Camry
362 Posts
Unfortunately without an aftermarket headunit there not much you can do.

I know there are FM transmitters you can buy, it basically broadcasts a separate channel for you to play something through an aux cable, although my experience with them before was poor.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Just a data point:

If you search, there is info on modding a stock head unit to add a 3 mm (1/8") mini-jack to accept a "headphone" cable. I personally have not done anything so ambitious. Benefit might be no one rational would break in to get stock head unit? Good luck. I do know that its easy to damage the ribbon cable on stock radio.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Do what I did and spend about $180 on a new stereo, theres a lot of youtube videos on how to put it in. If you order from crutchfield they throw in the wiring kit and brackets for free plus custom install instructions

my pioneer stereo has USB and you can control your iphone/ipod/whatver directly from the buttons on the radio, it also has built in Pandora if you have the app on your phone.
why not a unit able to show images or backup camera?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I need to take a road trip from Florida to New York with my kids in the Corolla 2007. I'm trying to think of a way to use digital audio books instead of the CDs. There's no kind of jack or anything to plug any kind of device in. Is there any easy way to do this? Or do I need to just stick with the CDs and their scratches?
Easiest way, but not even close to the best way, is to use an FM transmitter. They're generally pretty cheap. Easy to setup. Down side is the audio quality is sometimes poor and one sometimes has to change FM channels.

Next option is to use an "aux plug in adapter" that plugs into the CD changer port on the stock OEM radio on the Corolla.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ITHJ5BQ/

Best option is to replace the radio. There are a number of install guides both on this site and elsewhere. Its fairly easy to do. If you go with someplace like Crutchfield, you'll find one compatible with the Corolla and the recommended accessories/dash kit needed to perform the install.

I've been using an FM transmitter to play back audio books from my Sansa Clip for many years. Works fairly well since typically with audio books one doesn't need the best sounding audio quality.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts