Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What mods are not too expensive and would provide a noticeable increase in track driving performance without completely eliminating the drive-ability? Thanks!

·
Still confused...
95 camry coupe v6
2,304 Posts
none, really. anything good will cost you money.

for track, lose any un-neccesarry weight --> free
lightweight wheels and good tires --> at least 800
good set of coilovers --> roughly 1.2k
automatic tranny won't be any fun for this, so you'd want to go 5 speed --> 600ish at least
for noticeable power on the 5S-fe engine you'd need a lot of work, an intake and exhaust won't do you much.

don't try to track-drive a wagon... i can see the body roll being an epic issue.

·
slowamatic noob
1996 Toyota Camry
3,857 Posts
^ good advice, and yea preparing for autocross or circuit track racing isn't going to be cheap...

but i'll add that upgrading brakes help, and so does a racing seat + harness as well...

·
O-Dark-30
93 Camry Le
409 Posts
hmm

Manual trans and cams will wake up the 5SFE nicely.:thumbsup: Around $1500

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
1: Lowering springs
2: TRD Rear Sway Bar for the 97-01 Camry/99-03 Solara. All you need are the 97-01 Camry bushing brackets to make it fit, and it;s like $10 at the dealer.
3: 94-96 V6 front brake setup with the twin piston caliper.
4: Rear drum to disc swap (assuming you have drums)
5: There is a 97-01 Camry/99-03 solara from lower brace, and we are goign to know soon if it will fit the Gen 3 (92-96). It;s under $200.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
minor thread jack... :slap:
2: TRD Rear Sway Bar for the 97-01 Camry/99-03 Solara. All you need are the 97-01 Camry bushing brackets to make it fit, and it;s like $10 at the dealer.
i got mine to fit with all the OEM bushings on my '96. is that bad? :eek:
5: There is a 97-01 Camry/99-03 solara from lower brace, and we are goign to know soon if it will fit the Gen 3 (92-96). It;s under $200.
keep us posted!

to the OP- check out the for sale section... theyre some TRD RSB's for $100 new there...great deal. http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291725

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
minor thread jack... :slap:

i got mine to fit with all the OEM bushings on my '96. is that bad? :eek:

keep us posted!
Do you want the real answer? :lol: Yes, it is. The bushings on the Gen 4 are a little shorter, so they do not hold the RSB tight. Only some of the very very last '96 models may have the Gen 4 brackets.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Do you want the real answer? :lol: Yes, it is. The bushings on the Gen 4 are a little shorter, so they do not hold the RSB tight. Only some of the very very last '96 models may have the Gen 4 brackets.
:headbang: i knew it was tight when i installed it! dealer run tomorrow... and uhm. part number...? :disappoin (i think mine was manufactured in January of 1995 in japan.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We'll unfortunately i do have the wagon. So the body roll would be an issue. rear sway bar would help though. maybe ill stick with modding the mustang!!

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
We'll unfortunately i do have the wagon. So the body roll would be an issue. rear sway bar would help though. maybe ill stick with modding the mustang!!
My next car is going to be a Gen 3 wagon, built for performance. ;)

2WickedToyz here on the forum:

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
good brakes, grippy tires and a rear sway bar is all you really need.

·
Old fogey
1,429 Posts
Take 94 2.2.

Sell.

Buy used Miata.

Done.

Or:
17" wheels with performance tires (200-300 treadwear max, e.g. Kumho XS), coilovers with a high camber alignment, and decent brake pads and fluid.

·
O-Dark-30
93 Camry Le
409 Posts
Take 94 2.2.

Sell.

Buy used Miata.

Done.

Or:
17" wheels with performance tires (200-300 treadwear max, e.g. Kumho XS), coilovers with a high camber alignment, and decent brake pads and fluid.
Threadjack. An impromptu drag race between a Ferrari F430 and Corvette powered Miata gets interesting when it becomes clear the Miata is packing some serious firepower. 3rd video down the list. Saw the guys on the powerblock build one of these a couple years ago. Awesome vid.
http://www.spike.com/video/f430-takes-on/3075728

·
1MZFE Marauder
'01 Solara SLE
150 Posts
TRD RSB, Whiteline FSB, Ultra Racing 4-point front tie bar & rear tie bars, and some decent spring/strut combo. Plus some good tires, should make for a decent AutoX setup.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts