Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks:

I've been trying to make a playlist that can play on enTune. No such luck. I am unsure the system can recognize it.

I've been successful in moving my iTunes files directly to USB. enTunes system sees Artists, Genre, Album, etc.. But, no matter what I do I can not get a menu option offering to play a playlist.

Anyone else push through success?

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Although the manual talks a lot about playlists from a USB stick, the fine print in the specs says that M3U is not supported and doesn't offer an alternative.

But that said, people are making M3U's work. I haven't tried it myself. Maybe this will help:
http://priuschat.com/threads/playlists-on-a-usb-flash-drive-or-hdd.112388/
See the third reply about editing the path to the MP3 file.

Plan B is to make a folder for each playlist with all of the songs and just pick the folder you want to play. That would work, but it would eat up a lot of storage space unnecessarily if you have the same songs in multiple playlists.

·
2014 HL AWD LTE Blk/Blk
228 Posts
Although the manual talks a lot about playlists from a USB stick, the fine print in the specs says that M3U is not supported and doesn't offer an alternative.

But that said, people are making M3U's work. I haven't tried it myself. Maybe this will help:
http://priuschat.com/threads/playlists-on-a-usb-flash-drive-or-hdd.112388/
See the third reply about editing the path to the MP3 file.

Plan B is to make a folder for each playlist with all of the songs and just pick the folder you want to play. That would work, but it would eat up a lot of storage space unnecessarily if you have the same songs in multiple playlists.
Hm...i don't even see an option to play songs from specific folders. There's options for artists, albums, and song names, but not folders.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ RockyT

I also have option for Genre. But like you- no folders.

@ toto

Thanks for the link. Perhaps, I did something wrong and someone else will be successful, but I tried what that fellow did and came up empty. Ugh. That sucks. No playlist on USB what was Toyota thinking? A must have a hundred 'albums' with only one song.

So off to some Apple toys I have...but...my direct connect iPod would never charge in the vehicle and when I turnoff the car and leave it in there overnight (or two), it would discharge and be useless. Never did this in my last car.

Guess, I' m back to streaming bluetooth from the iPhone since it appears to be my only choice for now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Folks:

I've been trying to make a playlist that can play on enTune. No such luck. I am unsure the system can recognize it.

I've been successful in moving my iTunes files directly to USB. enTunes system sees Artists, Genre, Album, etc.. But, no matter what I do I can not get a menu option offering to play a playlist.

Anyone else push through success?
I am having the same difficulty.

In a perfect world id like to keep my ipod plugged into entune via USB and use my iphone over BT to run the Entune suite. thats not possible, at least toyota made it official.

Given this info im trying to move my library onto a USB stick. i can get everything the OP talks about as well, albums, artists ect, all OK.. but for the life of me cannot get playlists to come up :headbang:

im trying M3U since people seem to have success with it. ive tried beginning each line with ./ and / or :/ and still cannot get the truck to see the playlist...

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
I've finally had an opportunity to play with this on 2014+ Entune.

I don't see any option for playlists, and I also don't see any option for selecting a folder to play when the USB is the input. You can choose folders on a CD but not on a USB device. Odd that the programming would be there for one source and not the other.

What I finally did was to put the music into folders on the USB drive, but that's only part of it. Yes, the radio seems to ignore the folders (it reads all of the files but doesn't show you the folders), but it helps organize the MP3 files and also makes the next step easier.

While it won't let you choose to play folders, it will let you choose a particular artist, album, composer, or genre. So what I did was to give the same album name to all of the MP3's in a given folder. To do that, I did a "select all" in Windows Explorer, and then just edited the file properties to set Album to a simple name (like "Group 1"). Repeat that process for each folder full of MP3's.

Then, on the car, you can choose the USB input device and then choose an album to play.

·
Registered
XLE Highlander AWD
134 Posts
You can choose folders on a CD but not on a USB device.
Excuse the dumb question, but how do you set up playlist folders on a CD ? I've read about setting the burn option to burn 'Data CD', but as an iTune user I don't see an option to drag and drop folders onto a playlist for burning. What program do you use for CD playlists ?

I've given up on Toyota on being able to offer a simple elementary option to play playlists. Maybe folks in Japan don't listen to user defined playlists ? Post-purchase, I now realise this was one of my top 10 criteria for vehicle purchase.....and I missed it on the test drive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Excuse the dumb question, but how do you set up playlist folders on a CD ? I've read about setting the burn option to burn 'Data CD', but as an iTune user I don't see an option to drag and drop folders onto a playlist for burning. What program do you use for CD playlists ?

I've given up on Toyota on being able to offer a simple elementary option to play playlists. Maybe folks in Japan don't listen to user defined playlists ? Post-purchase, I now realise this was one of my top 10 criteria for vehicle purchase.....and I missed it on the test drive.
to make a playlist on CD is easy. just use windows, dump the songs you want on your 'playlist' into a folder on the CD. CD can navigate folders but USB cannot. entune can easily pick out album and artist over USB but i cant figure out how to get it to recognize playlists over USB.

playlists from apple devices are fine. easy and well executed over entune. but this ONE apple device limit is killing me. no entune apps while an apple device is plugged in over USB while another apple device simultaneously is on Bluetooth.

if i can sort out USB playlists, then i can keep the USB for music, and use my iphone to run entune app suite and data services. until then im stuck...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I suppose the need for M3U has arisen out of the fact that people simply would rather not use their phone to control music. I can understand this and it is a little bothersome that you're not able to use a standard playlist file to do so. However, at least you have Bluetooth audio available and using a playlist from one of the apps on your phone shouldn't be an issue. Maybe a future update will allow the use of this over USB? They recently updated the system with the Slacker Radio app. No reason they may not add this functionality at some point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
to make a playlist on CD is easy. just use windows, dump the songs you want on your 'playlist' into a folder on the CD. CD can navigate folders but USB cannot. entune can easily pick out album and artist over USB but i cant figure out how to get it to recognize playlists over USB.

playlists from apple devices are fine. easy and well executed over entune. but this ONE apple device limit is killing me. no entune apps while an apple device is plugged in over USB while another apple device simultaneously is on Bluetooth.

if i can sort out USB playlists, then i can keep the USB for music, and use my iphone to run entune app suite and data services. until then im stuck...
Would this also be the reason my wife is having trouble using the Pandora app on ours? She always charges and keeps the phone plugged in via USB and keeps telling me that Pandora won't work. I've gotten it to work for her before, but I never paid attention if I had it plugged in via USB, or disconnected, when it did finally work correctly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I suppose the need for M3U has arisen out of the fact that people simply would rather not use their phone to control music. I can understand this and it is a little bothersome that you're not able to use a standard playlist file to do so. However, at least you have Bluetooth audio available and using a playlist from one of the apps on your phone shouldn't be an issue. Maybe a future update will allow the use of this over USB? They recently updated the system with the Slacker Radio app. No reason they may not add this functionality at some point.
exactly correct. the 'work around' is to simply use the system as most of society does, run your music over bluetooth, entune data services will work exactly as advertised along with the rest of your iphone. The problem arises for those of us who want dedicated apple music player plugged in over USB that stays with the vehicle for that sole purpose of music, and have an iphone connected over BT... i guess the system cant manage two apple devices at once and run entune apps/data connectivity. (at least thats what this most recent error dialog popup tells us)

Would this also be the reason my wife is having trouble using the Pandora app on ours? She always charges and keeps the phone plugged in via USB and keeps telling me that Pandora won't work. I've gotten it to work for her before, but I never paid attention if I had it plugged in via USB, or disconnected, when it did finally work correctly.
I think it depends... if her iphone is plugged in over USB, and no other apple device is connected over bluetooth, the entune system should work (pandora). if things like Yelp, traffic, Bing are working, then entune is connected successfully to the device and feeding data to it. if none of those things work, then entune isnt connected to the device. she should be able to open the entune app while plugged into the usb on her phone, and it should show the screen that says connected. If she opens it, and it shows the entune home screen with the app tiles on it, it is not communicating with the vehicle.

the error message dialog box in post #6 of this thread is a recent addition to this latest March '15 Entune update. Prior to this i had no idea why it wouldnt work. at least now they are telling us specifically.

·
Official TN Member
HL XLE AWD
119 Posts
While it won't let you choose to play folders, it will let you choose a particular artist, album, composer, or genre. So what I did was to give the same album name to all of the MP3's in a given folder. To do that, I did a "select all" in Windows Explorer, and then just edited the file properties to set Album to a simple name (like "Group 1"). Repeat that process for each folder full of MP3's.
Although not the best solution, but definitely serves the purpose. Thanks!:clap:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.