Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all

I want to install some LED turn signal bulbs and lights but the flasher will flash twice as quick because of the burnt-bulb detector.

I have taken the flasher apart and tried all the tricks on the book to isolate each pin on the IC and changed the timing resistor without avail. I do not want to put in load resistor on the bulb end to fool the detection circuit.

Can anyone help me on this one if I want to modify/cut off the detection circuit please?

Many thanks.

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,396 Posts
Purchase a special flasher, or load limiting resister from Superbrightleds.com

·
Joined the dark side. :D
8,839 Posts
Y don't U want to put in the load resister? Maybe the power regulator for the LED will help simulate this load.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Y don't U want to put in the load resister? Maybe the power regulator for the LED will help simulate this load.
Hi, I don't want to put a resistor in because it will need to consume a large power, which (1) generate a lot of heat and (2) defeats one of the purposes of using LEDs to reduce power consumption.

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,396 Posts
The power consumption between a standard filement bulb, and an LED is extremely minimal. Not even worth it if thats the only reason you switched.

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,396 Posts
You need this:

ELECTRONIC LED FLASHERS
We now offer 2-Pin and 3-Pin (1/4 inch spade lug type) LED compatible Flasher Units in this category
You should definitely use one of these instead of Load Resistors if we have one to fit your vehicle
They operate at the correct flash rate with LED or standard filament bulbs
10~15 Volts DC - Flash Rate: 80 per minute

Note that some of these flashers operate silently, they do not make the familiar clicking sound when operating. One solution is to connect a common automotive relay to the output along with your LED bulbs
Also note that these flashers do not replace all flasher units. Before you order, please see the pin outs of our flashers in the "more info" page below and compare with the one you are replacing. Click the part numbers for complete spec sheets. You can usually find your flasher pin out printed right on your flasher. Failure to check this and installation in an incompatible vehicle can blow your fuse, destroy the flasher and void the flasher warranty

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I finally have it sorted.

After reading a lot of articules on the Internet and applied my long-lost knowledge on electronics, I have figured out that the chip is detecting certain voltage drop across the bulbs (which would now be different because of the low power consumption of the LEDs). I have therefore isolated the detection pin and wired it to a variable resistor taking an adjustable voltage between 12V and the ground, and slowly turning the variable resistor until chip detects the expected voltage drop, and, bingo!

I used a 500K ohm variable resistor so the current drain is minimal and quite a lot less than even the LEDs, thus maintaining my power-saving purpose. This also saves me from buying the special purpose flasher. It is working in the simulated environment (no load, no bulb, no LED) and I will be testing the flasher over the weekend with some home-made LED bulbs. I expect it will just work beautifuly because the variable resistor is now fooling the circuit and it won't matter what I do with the bulb ends.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The power consumption between a standard filement bulb, and an LED is extremely minimal. Not even worth it if thats the only reason you switched.
I beg to differ. The standard indicator bulb at the back of the Camry is 8W, drawing 0.66A from the 12V battery. My home-made super-bright LEDs of 9 LEDs is drawing less than 0.1A (1.2W) so there is a huge difference in power consumption in my case.

It's not my main reason of switching over but I'd still like to think that it is also helping to save the power.

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,396 Posts
What do you need the power savings for?

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,396 Posts
:ugh3:

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
:rofl2:

:kookoo:
It's true, probably not so much with the flashers but if you have your 4 ways and taillights on for a few hours, you notice how much harder it is for the battery to turn over. I had just my 4 ways on for about 4-5 hours and I had some serious trouble trying to start my car.

·
Leviathan
187 Posts
noob question, but where is this module located on a 5th gen camry?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
noob question, but where is this module located on a 5th gen camry?

Sorry abou the late reply. For some reasons I have been barred from accessing toyotanation from work.

Anyway, the relay is located behind the kick panel at the foot well of the driver's side. Now, for my right-hand drive Camry, it is behind the right-hand side kick panel in the right-hand side driver seat. I am not entirely sure where it is for a left-hand drive Camry. It can be either way...

·
Registered
120 Posts
is there any harm in letting the blinkers flash quickly? thinking about just leaving it the way it is if its not hurting anything. my wife thinks they look cool when they flash quickly lol

·
must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,234 Posts
is there any harm in letting the blinkers flash quickly? thinking about just leaving it the way it is if its not hurting anything. my wife thinks they look cool when they flash quickly lol
You may have issues with inspection. I think by law, blinkers should not be blinking fast. Thats why all blinkers blink at a certain rate.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts