Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 01 xcab trd v6 for just short of 3 years now with no major problems until now. I took my truck to the dealership with 92 miles left on the warranty. they called me and said bad news. The rear pinion shaft broke spreading metal shavings all throughout the rear diff. Luckily I had the warranty because they wanted 3400 to fix it until i told them i had the warranty. The guy called the warranty claim in and they fixed it for the 100 deductible. Basically i now have a new rear diff with seals and everything. I just want to know if anyone has had this type of major problem and what i can do to prevent it. I have never driven my truck extremely hard and i pull a light box trailer every once in a while but would not expect that to be the problem. I have put roughly 40000 miles on my truck which is now at 895xx miles. This just seems strange considering i had an 87' with 214xxx miles with no problems before trading in for this truck. Any input would be great. Thanks

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
The TRD rear end with the e-locker has a slightly weaker ring and pinion. You aren't the first to break one. Not much you can do.

·
Registered
114 Posts
TcmaBoy said:
The TRD rear end with the e-locker has a slightly weaker ring and pinion. You aren't the first to break one. Not much you can do.
Would using a good synthetic gear lube help this?

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
todds21 said:
Would using a good synthetic gear lube help this?
I don't put much stock in the hype surounding synthetics. They all conform to the same ASE standard. Just change it on a regular basis and you will be fine.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The new type of toyota tranny fluid is synthetic.I think they call it world standard fluid typeIV.It came in my 04 an the 06 taco.My 02 came with dextron 3 type from the factory.I run royal purple in the 02.Shifts smoother and dosent get as hot when towing a trailer!The only reason I use that brand is because a Buddy of mine sells it and I get pretty cheap.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, just wanted to know if it was unusual. Hopefully I can get 100,000 out of this one.

·
Registered
531 Posts
You said you got 89,500miles on the truck just wanted to know if you ever drained the Differentials for routine maintainence intervals(every 30K) or not. Kind of curious to know if the factory installed gear oil in was still in the truck at roughly 90K miles it should have been changed at least 3 times.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i changed it right when i got the truck, so one time at 50,000 and then again at 75,000. I dont know about the previous owner.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Man something doesnt sound right unless the previous owner was hauling heavy loads or abused the the truck its hard to believe a Toyota truck ring and pinion grenaded like that,50k miles isnt too bad to change out gear oil but Toyota recommends every 30k replacement,unless the oil level was low and ran for 50Kmaybe. If thats true it doesnt say too much for Toyota Diffs,Ive had 2 Toyotas both clocked over 200K miles only 1 needed ring and pinion replacement and it was my fault never changed out oil and ran it too low but it didnt grenade that was a 1983 4x4 that was my first truck and I didnt pay attention to service intervals then.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have serviced the truck at the right times ever since i have owned it. I planned on having this truck for years. I guess the original owner did not do any maintinence. Hopefully there will be no other major problems due to neglect form the previous owner.

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
That is the thing with buying used vehicles. There is no telling how hard it was used.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The good side of this is that you had warranty coverage on the repair,so you got an almost new rear end out of it. I will definetly be paying attention to my service intervals after hearing this story as of now I'm off warranty on my truck and closing rapidly on the 60K power train part of it. Hopefully this doesnt shy you away from Toyota Trucks because its definetly out of character for this to happen unless it was the previous owners neglecting or abusing the truck not yours,my last 2 Toyotas clocked over 200K hang with it.:thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts