Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm removing my transmission in my son's 93 corolla and can't get the driveaxles out of the differential. Does anyone have any tricks for getting them out? Thanks.

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
i'd reccomend buying a haynes manual for the specific car, this way you know you haven't forgotten anything, but if its got a splined inner shaft you should be able to get it out by just yanking on it, or prying lightly against the transmission case

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nick...I am using a Haynes manuel. Tell you to pry them out but they wouldn't budge. Last night I was at my bosses house and his father in law suggested using a 3 lb sledge hammer to gently tap a pry bar, AND IT WORKED!!! I labored for hours trying to pry with just a pry bar and my muscles but they wouldn't move. A few taps with the sledge and they just fell off.

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
Yeap... thats the usuall therapy for removing axles, my monkey has had to use the sledgehammer even when fitting them in, it seems the axles fit is VERY tight so it's much of a pain to get them as well as get them out

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully I'll have the new tranny in by this weekend and I'll keep the sledge handy for the axles!!!

Terry T.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Drive axle problem

I had the same problem on my car and finally figured out the problem. When you pry with only one bar the axle cocks at an angle and won't budge. It can be a total pain in the ass but you need to use two pry bars to evenly distribute the force. Set them 180 degrees apart and apply even pressure. The second bar can be pretty short as it is only balancing the force and the main bar is doing all of the work. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts