Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'98 Camry
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys. 1998 4 cyl. I checked the EGR modulator and it's nice and clear. I tested the VSV valve down way down under the engine (the one that's a bi*ch to get to) and that is working also. The rubber tube from the EGV valve to the bottom of the EGR modulator was 100% gunked up with carbon. I had to use a 1/4" drill bit to get in there and clean it all out (I could have replaced the hose but I saved a couple bucks and the trip). Also, the steel nipple on the EGR valve that that hose goes on was also carboned up. I used I think a 3/32" drill bit to clear that.

I can't, however, remove the EGR valve because I broke of the head of one of the nuts on the bottom of it and due to the angle I can't get in there to drill it out. I know the bottom of the appx 5/8" pipe is not 100% carboned up because I can feel air flow though, but I'm thinking it might be kind of carboned up. And, where the EGR connects to the intake might also be carboned up. I CAN remove the EGR from the intake, but I can't move it too much because it's stuck on the pipe. I could take the intake off to access that hole between intake and EGR but that wouldn't solve cleaning out the pipe itself. So, how the heck do I get that pipe off? I can see the nut down there, but it's not going to be easy!

·
Registered
'98 Camry
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can someone help me with this? I really need to get that EGR pipe off of the engine. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,412 Posts
So there's two studs with nuts which attach the EGR to the intake manifold and a large 5/8" nut holding the exhaust supply tube to the EGR - correct?

You stripped the head of one of the nuts?

Picture(s) would help.

·
'93 LE Wagon V6 '94 LE I4
'93 V6 wagon, '94 I4
795 Posts
The big nut on my '94 is 24mm. I used a large basin wrench with a vice grips on the handle to turn it.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,969 Posts
EGR exhaust tube should be held to EGR valve with a couple nuts or maybe bolts (and the same holding EGR valve to intake). I'd unbolt EGR valve from intake, undo the big nut holding the tube to the head, and wiggle the two out together, then do your extractions.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,412 Posts
I'd unbolt EGR valve from intake, undo the big nut holding the tube to the head, and wiggle the two out together, then do your extractions.
I can't, however, remove the EGR valve because I broke of the head of one of the nuts on the bottom of it and due to the angle I can't get in there to drill it out.
I think OP is referring to the nuts on the studs holding EGR to intake manifold.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,809 Posts
The bottom bolts fix the valve to the tube. The side nuts attach valve to intake.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
At the bottom of my post https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/2000-camry-ce-4cyl-vsv-switch-replacement-p0401-code.1667431/post-14150240 there is a section on "EGR Valve".

In the second video ("Toyota Camry EGR Lesson - P0401") at first he said to get the pipe from the bottom (I am not sure if he meant from under the car), then he said "get underneath here" and "down the side there".

(In my first post in that thread, there is a video titled "EGR system parts info 5S-FE Toyota Camry 2.2". At around 1:35 he was doing it from the side.)

In the first video, you can see that 1A Auto also broke a bolt.

This was how I removed my EGR Valve (but probably not relevant to you anymore, sorry):

First soak bolts with penetrating oil.

Use 10mm "combination wrench", ring end, to turn two bolts:
  • On the driver side, the open end should be lower (vertically) than the ring end.
  • On the passenger side, the open end should be higher (vertically) than the ring end.
Observe which side of washer should be up (the bottom side should be dirtier).

Use 12mm ratcheting wrench, without extension, to turn two nuts.

It may be easier to remove EGR Valve and EGR Vacuum Modulator together, then when outside the car, disconnect tubing between the two.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,969 Posts
Oh ok, I mistook it because he said "bottom" and "broke the head off."

If it is indeed those 12mm nuts, I'd soak them and use those fluted socket rounded-bolt extractors.

I think OP is referring to the nuts on the studs holding EGR to intake manifold.

·
Registered
'98 Camry
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm sorry if my original post was confusing. The EGR valve is removed from the intake. But I cannot remove the EGR valve from the steel EGR pipe because I broke the head off of one of those 10mm bolts that connects the EGR valve to the EGR pipe. So now I believe my only option is to remove the entire pipe that runs from the bottom of the EGR valve down into the engine about 12 inches below. There's a big nut on there that is appx 7/8 of an inch. That is what I think i need to get off. I put a wrench on it it but could not get in there to apply enough leverage. I've been soaking it with PB Blaster but I can't get in there with any heat nor can I really get in there to cut it off. And with that type of nut when you have to use the Crowfoot open-ended wrench to get around it, I often end up breaking the wrench before the bolt breaks loose. So this big nut on bottom of the pipe is what I need to remove unless if somebody else has a better way. Thank you!

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,412 Posts
There's a big nut on there that is appx 7/8 of an inch.
15/16" or 24mm

And with that type of nut when you have to use the Crowfoot open-ended wrench to get around it, I often end up breaking the wrench before the bolt breaks loose. So this big nut on bottom of the pipe is what I need to remove unless if somebody else has a better way.
I've always used a crows foot 1/2" drive with long extension and 1/2" drive ratchet - all plenty stout enough. You may be able to remove surrounding components to use box end.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts