Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, 99 Camry 4 cylinder I can see the oil filter, how do I remove it? I tried to turn left with my hand, did not move. Do I need a special tool? Also, once I remove it, and replace it with a new one, is it as easy as just turning it in right? Anything I need to keep in mind when installing a new one? Thanks. Any special tools needed?

·
97 Camry
211 Posts
mailzz2000 said:
Hello, 99 Camry 4 cylinder I can see the oil filter, how do I remove it? I tried to turn left with my hand, did not move. Do I need a special tool? Also, once I remove it, and replace it with a new one, is it as easy as just turning it in right? Anything I need to keep in mind when installing a new one? Thanks. Any special tools needed?
You can puncture & turn with a screwdriver but oil filter wrench is the way to go. They are cheap. When installing new I never go more than real handtight. This makes next change a breeze & I have never leaked

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Oil filter wrenches are usually needed. I have found the cap style wrenches that attach to a 3/8" socket and extension to be the best. Be aware that when you do remove it oil will probably spill out due to the angle it is installed. Many people put rags underneath the filter first to catch as much of the oil as possible. I spray the area with a lot of brake-clean to clean up the spilled oil.

When installing the new filter spread some fresh oil around the rubber gasket seal at the base of the filter. Then hand tighten only, as tight as you can get it by hand. Do not use the wrench to tighten the new filter.

Mike

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Oil filter Cap Wrench is the way to go. This is what it looks like. You can find them in most auto parts stores. Like Mike says, you attach the 3/8" socket and extension.

If you wait 30 minutes after you shut the engine off to remove the oil filter, you won't have any residual oil spilling out and creating a mess.

·
Registered
1997 Camry
91 Posts
Wow I didn't know they had such parts. I'll get one soon.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
93 BMW 525i
395 Posts
I don't understand, you already asked that question in your other thread, and the answers given were the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts