Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help guys... easiest way to remove the engine from the engine bay with tranny. I cant seems to find an online BGB for 2Gen Camry and not about to spend another bill on a book I'd prob just use once or twice.

Its a 1989 Toyota Camry Wagon Deluxe with Auto Tranny w/OD. Engine is the standard 3sfe. Need to take it out in anticipation of swapping another 3sfe engine :whatwhat: .

Please... machanically incline but not engine incline so... pics and detail instructions would be really be appreciated :clap: .

Or a link or resource for a 2Gen Camry BGB would be really nice too :D

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,208 Posts
Unhook everything easy. Pull wiring harness off of ECU and through firewall. Remove A/C and PS from block, unbolt mounts, lift out.

Its not that hard, and yes, it does come out of the top of the engine bay if you want it to. I just did it two weeks ago on my Camry.

-Charlie

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replacing the 3sfe with another 3sfe of the same generation. Dont want to remove the ECU wiring harness. I just want the engine itself if possible or the engine and tranny if not out. I am asking because I would like to keep all the wiring and whatnot intact. Dont want to have to replace the wirings harness and or misc wiring because it was cut hehehehe... I just want engine out with minimal removing of misc parts and pieces.

·
Grenaded piston
7,447 Posts
vuedoo said:
Dont want to remove the ECU wiring harness.
You got 2 options.

1. Unplug the wiring from the ECU, interior stuff (ac, heat, cruise control, etc..), and the fuse box (behind the battery) in the engine bay.

The fuse box unbolts (2 bolts), then you can get to the wiring that plugs into the bottom of it.

2. Unplug the wiring from the engine.

Option 2 is a pain in the ass, so I would pick option 1.

After you get the engine out, unplug the wiring harness from the engine, and plug it into your new engine.

This is the easiest way. I've done a engine swap and 2 tranny swaps on a friends Camry.

I just want the engine itself if possible or the engine and tranny if not out. I am asking because I would like to keep all the wiring and whatnot intact. Dont want to have to replace the wirings harness and or misc wiring because it was cut hehehehe... I just want engine out with minimal removing of misc parts and pieces.
I find it easier to pull the engine and tranny together. Then seperate the 2.

Your not cutting any wiring, just unplugging it.

Wiring harness
--------------------

ECU
-------

ECU is located here
--------------------------

Engine wiring harness goes into the interior through here
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Engine wiring harness goes into the interior through this hole (on the firewall)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you buy your engine, make sure you get the correct flex plate for it. Early 3S-FEs have a 6 bolt crank. Later ones have a 8 bolt crank.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Am doing this exact project on a '91 Corolla right now. What a pain. If you have an automatic, you MUST pull engine and tranny together, the engine won't 'come off' the tranny while installed. And I'm having a heck of a time with the removal of the driveshafts from the tranny, specificall the front hubs. I didn't think removing the wires from the motor one at a time was that bad, just label them nice.
Good luck

·
Registered
567 Posts
barthmonster said:
If you have an automatic, you MUST pull engine and tranny together, the engine won't 'come off' the tranny while installed.
Good luck
Yes it will! Do you think they pull the engine every time they have to do a tranny job!

Gary

·
JUST RE ENGINEER IT
98 Prizum
2,983 Posts
i took several yota fwd motors out of corollas and camrys, it makes it easier if ya take the crank pulley off though, undo the ecu harness from inside and out it goes

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
ive taken out a few motors myself... and all have come out WITH the tranny.

you should be able to get the tranny off without taking the motor out, but you dont need to, its easier to do it all together.

and gary... what do you mean by "tranny job"?
because, either you swap out the tranny for a different one, or you swap out the clutch, or flywheel, or flexplate or torque converter...
for any of those on MY car, i would pull the motor to do. (thats only because i like pulling the motor out of a car:)_)
but if you dont have a lift, or cant get the car up high enough on jack stands, it is almost impossible to remove the tranny without the motor.

·
Registered
567 Posts
zoni, tranny job= removing transmission for repair or replacement. I know he is swapping a motor but imho if he is using the same transmission it is almost as easier just to r and r the engine seperately.

Gary

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
it is definitely more work to do to try to seperate it like that... more wiring harness removal, more time under the car with the torque converter/driveplate or clutchflywheel bolts..., more time trying to position it out with another object in the way.

but hey, if you like doing that sort of thing, then have fun!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the reply guys... gonna pull it on sunday. Just to be clear on this... so... I pull the tranny along with the engine out. It is easier to remove the wiring harness fron inside the car and pull it out with the engine with the other way around. Is that right? hehehe

Ah... another thing. If I pull the tranny out with the engine, do I pull the drive shaft out of the tranny or disconnect from the wheel hub? If I do need to pull it out of the tranny... do I need to but something inside the hole where the shaft go in to stop the drive gear from falling out of alignment? (I've done that in chrysler mini-van. Had to get the tranny rebuild because the drive gear sliped due to it not being "held" up by anything.)

Thanks all!

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
first, yes.

second, unbolt the 10mm allen head bolts from the passenger side driveshaft, and remove that outer half... the inner half on the passenger side is easier to get out with the motor, and the motor mount. otherwise, you'd have to get that inner axle out of the motor mount (usually tough), and pull that inner axle out of the tranny too, but there is a snap ring, and all kinds of stuff to worry about... so dont do that.
on the drivers side, i'd suggest pulling that axle out of the tranny, you dont need any special tool, just pull hard (with some convincing from a prybar or hammer if need be). you should be prepared with a pan for the tranny fluid to spill out of the hole where you pull the axle out of, and then put a paper towel in the hole so no more fluid leaks out. you should get that axle out of the wheel hub first though, it will make the job easier.

·
Grenaded piston
7,447 Posts
vuedoo said:
so... I pull the tranny along with the engine out. It is easier to remove the wiring harness fron inside the car and pull it out with the engine with the other way around. Is that right? hehehe
Yes, pull the engine and tranny together.

Disconnect the engine wiring harness from the ECU and the interior (ect ecu, cruise control, a/c, heat, etc..). Then pull the wiring harness through the firewall (see pics above).

The passenger side dash needs to be removed to get to the engine wiring harness.

A part of the engine wiring harness also plugs into a fuse box. So don't forget about that to.

zoni said:
second, unbolt the 10mm allen head bolts from the passenger side driveshaft, and remove that outer half... the inner half on the passenger side is easier to get out with the motor, and the motor mount.
Actually you don't need to remove the outer half.

Its slightly different on a 3S-FE w/A140E. Theres 6 nuts instead of allen head bolts, that attach the outer half to the inner half.

Remove the 6 nuts, seperate the 2 halves, and leave the outer half hanging. You can remove the outer half from the hub if you want, but theres no need.

on the drivers side, i'd suggest pulling that axle out of the tranny, you dont need any special tool, just pull hard (with some convincing from a prybar or hammer if need be).
The axle bolts to the tranny with 6 nuts. No need to pry the axle out. ;)

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,208 Posts
zoni said:
good stuff 88, i guess there are a few gen 3/2 differences in this process. :)
Early auto trannies have bolt in axles, most other trannies have snap in axles - both my 3s-fe manual Camrys have had pop-in axles.

btw, for the wiring harness, you only have to remove the glove compartment and lower dash panel. Its only a few plugs inside the car to get the harness out once that has been completed.

If you unbolt the A/C and P/S, before you pull the motor, you don't have to deal with recharging the A/C or bleeding the P/S. On manual cars, you can actually unbolt the clutch slave cylinder and never have to bleed that also. :)

-Charlie

·
Grenaded piston
7,447 Posts
white90dx said:
Early auto trannies have bolt in axles, most other trannies have snap in axles - both my 3s-fe manual Camrys have had pop-in axles.

Do gen 2s with 3S-FE and auto tranny (A140E/A140L) have pop in type axles or just bolt on?

My 88 Camry has bolt on type axles. The passenger side inner half (jack shaft) pops in though, but other then that their bolt on (6 nuts).

By the way, hows your swap going? I'd help you with it, but So. Cal. is a little far from Sacto.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.