Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I am replacing a leaky seal for my Chevy Prizm 99 (same as Corolla) at the manual tranaxle. It's the oil seal for the shift selector shaft to the transaxle housing. I removed the linkage but cannot remove the arm from the shaft that slides in and out and also rotates. I have to remove the arm to get the old seal out and put the new on in. The only pin can possibly be the key to release the arm is in the indentation on the broze arm (see picture). But I couldn't move the bolt inside the indentation. It looked round. Tried hex wrench but it did not grab. Has anyone done this before? Am I doing it right? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Beware of pigs
Little Pig
2,446 Posts
You need to remove a lock bolt above the shaft on the housing before it will come out.

It will be easier if you can remove the whole shaft and work on a bench.

Good luck.

EDIT: That lock bolt is partially visible in your pic, top right corner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Need to take shaft out?

Thanks for the reply. Is there a need to take the shaft (shiny silver colored cylinder in the picture) out? I could see the seal on the shaft already. It's behind the black rubber bellow in this picture. I just need to remove the bronze arm from the shaft on the outside of the housing to get to the seal. If I take the entire shaft out, how do I know what orientation to put it back in? There is no need to open the housing, is there?:headbang:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts