Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Corolla Veteran!
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to install an aftermarket rearview backup camera. There is a seperate thread already addressing this project, but no one is explaining how to remove the rear seats and get underneath the carpet, in order to run the wiring.

I am also thinking about getting the remote starter (i already have the regular keyless entry remote, but not SmartKey), and either the VIP OEM alarm system or the Viper aftermarket alarm system. I don't know if those installations would require that I run wire from the front to back, but regardless, I need to know what kind of difficulty I'm up against.

So...can anyone provide pictures and/or a youtube video to remove the seating?

·
Registered
40 Posts
All you need to do is grab the seat bottom near the center of the left seat and right seat and give it a swift pull upwards. That will unclip the seat from the frame. I did it a couple weeks ago. Just pull upwards. There are no buttons to push.

·
Corolla Veteran!
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All you need to do is grab the seat bottom near the center of the left seat and right seat and give it a swift pull upwards. That will unclip the seat from the frame. I did it a couple weeks ago. Just pull upwards. There are no buttons to push.
Do I first need to pull the lever from the trunk to fold the seats down, and then follow your instruction?

·
Corolla Veteran!
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I understand how it works. Not hard to figure out, actually. After you fold down the seats, lift up the carpet mat that extends from the trunk. Underneath is a long styrofoam piece. Take it out and you'll see the nuts & bolts that secure the rear seats to the metal.

So the guys on this forum who have been performing their own wiring installation for the backup camera and other electronics probably had to remove their seats as well.

I'm going to remove them and leave in my garage for a few days to see how this affects my fuel economy, and also for installing the camera. I'm not really expecting a huge leap in MPG but let's see...

·
Registered
148 Posts
To remove the back, you don't have to remove the floor brackets. Just raise the lower carpet from the seat back [held there with Velco], and you will see a bolt on each side of the seat. The brackets can stay there.

I never could get the lower seat off my LE. :ugh3: I just used a fish tape and routed the wires under the seat.

·
Corolla Veteran!
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I a few hours ago I removed the screw nuts from the back of the rear seats...

Basically I was able to remove half of the seat (back/headrest). Not the bottom seat itself. I can't figure out where it's secured so that I can get to it and unscrew or unlatch...
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6hpgaaMN4NHVh6h1lne9wy-vDOS8rHIa9b_Ze58rEtc?feat=directlink

Also notice that the side pieces (leather) are still there. Not sure if I'd somehow have to remove those first before I can remove the bottom cushions? Help?

·
Corolla Veteran!
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
There is an airbag in the side pieces that you havent removed yet, I would leave those alone.
really? so those are separate airbags in addition to the side curtain airbags in the plastic panel around the windows?

I agree with you. Definitely don't want to mess with the airbags...that's dangerous.

But is there any way to lift those cushions out of there?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I see this thread is a few days old, if your still having trouble getting the rear seats out post back up and ill can give you detailed instructions on how to do it. Considering I work for tmmk and build the camry everyday. This happens to be one of the jobs I do.:D

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
If the rear lower seat comes out like most of them I've seen then do as instructed in the 2nd post. You might be surprised how much force is needed but you really do just pull up. Kind of a quick jerk may work best. The catches are usually just to the outside of each seat center. (Closer to the door slightly than the actual center of the seating area.)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
......Considering I work for tmmk and build the camry everyday. .......
Cool! Can you tell me which sections of the Camry SE seats with factory leather/ultrasuede is leather? The ultrasuede part, I got, but I'm not clear on the remaining sections. Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I just bought a new toyota camry 2015 and trying to remove the rear seat to install seat covers. The instructions say to unclip hooks beneath front of seat base from their respective latches. But I can't seem to do it. I'm lifting up very firmly but it's not disengagement. Does anyone have any info or me????

·
Registered
2 Posts
i'm trying to remove the rear seat cushion to install a new seat cover for my 2012 camry LE, but not able to remove the rear seat cushion. I followed the instructions per post #2 , but no luck. anything different for my model and trim? Please help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need Help

I see this thread is a few days old, if your still having trouble getting the rear seats out post back up and ill can give you detailed instructions on how to do it. Considering I work for tmmk and build the camry everyday. This happens to be one of the jobs I do.:D
Hi bud, not sure if you're still active, can you please help me. I have a 2015 Camry Altise (base model ASV50R) and no matter how much I yank, I can't lift the bottom seat. I need to install seat covers and while I can manage the front ones, the rear ones are giving me a hard time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.