Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
500,000 + Miles
406 Posts
Hopefully you are on the way to a solution via Cosmo's advice but here is something I THINK you can do fairly easily to see if your IAC is sticking or stuck....and you should be able to do this without removing the entire throttle body and all of the life support tubes attached to it.

This is theoretical (key-word to invite more experience folks to chime in if I goofed in the below steps) based on my observations when I did remove my entire throttle body and did a deep cleaning of the IAC valve with a toothbrush recently. While I was doing that job, it struck me that I thought there could be an easier, but less thorough, way that might be good as preventative maintenance or could be used for troubleshooting.

Sorry I don't have a photo but look at the photo or even the first few seconds of the first video posted at the beginning of this thread. There is an electrical plug (already removed in the video) immediately below the throttle body intake opening (may need to remove the rubber intake hose from the throttle body). If you disconnect that electrical plug and then remove the two screws that hold the sensor on the throttle body, you can remove the sensor. There is a little stickum but no gasket that I know of. The part that sticks out when you remove the sensor is what rotates and changes your idle. Gently check to see that it rotates freely back and forth through its range. If it's stuck or sticky, you may be able to do a quick clean by removing the vacuum line attached to the lower part of the throttle body....there is also a line for coolant so pay attention to which line you disconnect. Now you should be able to introduce your IAC cleaner into the vacuum port and/or the port in the lower half of the intake port AND you can now hand-turn the IAC valve while the cleaner is there. This won't be as good as you can do by removing the throttle body and doing a good clean with a toothbrush and solvent but it might help trouble shoot your problem and be sure you can exclude a stuck IAC valve.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,899 Posts
Speaking empirically, nothing is as effective or long-lasting as removing the IAC to clean.

Use Purple Power, diluted 4:1. It will start dissolving carbon as soon as you pour it. Also supposedly biodegradeable, woohoo.

·
Almost 1/2 Million Miles!
1,758 Posts
Also, if your Camry (especially the 5S-FE) has anything above 150,000 miles, I would REPLACE both the IAC Coolant Hoses, especially if you are going to go through ALL THAT TROUBLE of removing the Throttle Body and IAC assembly to clean. Yes, I do realize you don't have to remove the Coolant lines but, PLEASE DO YOURSELF a BIG Favor and buy new IAC COOLANT hoses at the Toyota Dealer and use new clamps!

Why?

These Hoses will create a break at the bend when they get OLD and they are a BIG TICKING TIME BOMB when it comes to a Leak under Pressure!

They will KILL your Distributor in a Heart Beat and you will find yourself WALKING!

Attachments

21 - 23 of 23 Posts