Toyota Nation Forum banner

How to spot counterfeit Ford/Motorcraft parts (video)

6K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Greasymechtech 
#1 ·
This guy is a great source of information:

Could be applicable to any make by paying attention to the fine details.

#3 ·
Happens to Toyota related parts as well!

#7 ·
This guy is a great source of information:

Could be applicable to any make by paying attention to the fine details.
I watched the video about fake Motorcraft parts. My thoughts or observations as follows:
  1. The threads on the "real" plugs were horrible compared to the "fake" plugs. Hmm.

2. I don't think the guy who made the video is actually an expert on the subject, and is just looking at two examples of a part and noticing some very minor or obscure differences. In the case of the coils, the differences may be because Motorcraft switched suppliers from one Chinese company to another, or that Motorcraft makes sure they have more than one source for parts. I am talking about the first "fake" and not the second fake, which is obviously quite a bit different.

3. The observations in the video only apply to particular parts (plugs and coils), and cannot be applied to all Motorcraft genuine vs fakes.

4. I realize that fake auto parts a big problem, but I would only take information from the company who makes them, and not just some random guy on the Internet who has a video camera.

5. It seems to me that the best way to get genuine parts is buy from an authorized retailer. Many parts manufacturers will tell you who the authorized retailers are.

#8 · (Edited)
I watched the video about fake Motorcraft parts. My thoughts or observations as follows:
  1. The threads on the "real" plugs were horrible compared to the "fake" plugs. Hmm.

2. I don't think the guy who made the video is actually an expert on the subject, and is just looking at two examples of a part and noticing some very minor or obscure differences. In the case of the coils, the differences may be because Motorcraft switched suppliers from one Chinese company to another, or that Motorcraft makes sure they have more than one source for parts. I am talking about the first "fake" and not the second fake, which is obviously quite a bit different.

3. The observations in the video only apply to particular parts (plugs and coils), and cannot be applied to all Motorcraft genuine vs fakes.

4. I realize that fake auto parts a big problem, but I would only take information from the company who makes them, and not just some random guy on the Internet who has a video camera.

5. It seems to me that the best way to get genuine parts is buy from an authorized retailer. Many parts manufacturers will tell you who the authorized retailers are.
You make some good points for sure. I didn't notice the difference in threads. I'll have to check it out again. Does Ford use Chinese suppliers for some parts? I know Toyota and some other makes do, but didn't know that about Ford.

He's not just some random guy, though. He's a pro mechanic who specializes in Ford (unless you mean that he's not an official spokesman for Ford?).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.