Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
Tacoma, Prerunner
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my write up on how to change the color of your steering wheel controls.

Tools needed:
10mm Socket setup
Small flat blade screwdriver
Medium Phillips screwdriver
T-30 Hex driver
Soldering iron
Solder sucker
Solder
Needle nose pliers or tweezers
3 SLT-773 LED's in the color of your choice (same LED's as the gauge cluster)

***If you do not know how to solder or properly remove soldered components do not attempt this, serious damage could occur. I am not responsible for any damage, you are taking the fate of your stereo controls into your own hands.***

First, disconnect your battery using the 10mm socket setup.

Next, using the small flat blade screw driver pop off the little covers on the side of the steering wheel.

Now you can use the T-30 Hex driver to remove the two T-30 Hex bolts. These are the bolts that hold the airbag in. Once you have loosened these two bolts completely you can pull the airbag away from the steering wheel. You can just let it hang and do not need to disconnect it.

Now you should be able to see the entire control unit. There is one Phillips screw holding the control unit to the wheel. Remove this screw and pull the unit away from the wheel. Cut the zip-tie that is holding the cable to the control unit and disconnect the cable.

You can now take the unit to a bench to disassemble it. There are two Phillips screws and 4 clips that hold the unit together. Remove the two screws and pry the two halves apart. It is easier to start with the two clips on the back towards the center and work your way to the outer two.

Once you separate the two halves the PCB will come right out. Take note of the direction of the LED's, the triangular notch that is missing is the cathode side. Make sure you place your new LED's in the same direction.

Unsolder the old LED's, tin your pads and solder in the new LED's. When you are ready to reassemble the control unit, place the PCB in the button side first and then put the back on.

Snap the two pieces together and install the screws. You can now reassemble the truck and test it out.

Good luck and enjoy!

· Tacoma Enthusiast
230 Posts
Excellent write-up, I did something similar to this in my old Ford Ranger cruise control buttons that were mounted on the steering wheel.

· Taco Salad!!
2007 Tacoma DC LB
557 Posts
Awesome write-up...going outside to do this to my truck right now!

EDIT: DONE!! Took me all of an hour to do...very simple! I will be posting pics when I get my 4x4 switch lit up also, along with the guage pod done in blue that I already did. Thanks again!

· Registered
1 Posts
Finding LEDS!?

Tools needed:
10mm Socket setup
T-30 Hex driver
Soldering iron
Solder sucker
Solder

***If you do not know how to solder or properly remove soldered components do not attempt this, serious damage could occur. I am not responsible for any damage, you are taking the fate of your stereo controls into your own hands.***

Next, using the small flat blade screw driver pop off the little covers on the side of the steering wheel.

Now you can use the T-30 Hex driver to remove the two T-30 Hex bolts. These are the bolts that hold the airbag in. Once you have loosened these two bolts completely you can pull the airbag away from the steering wheel. You can just let it hang and do not need to disconnect it.

Now you should be able to see the entire control unit. There is one Phillips screw holding the control unit to the wheel. Remove this screw and pull the unit away from the wheel. Cut the zip-tie that is holding the cable to the control unit and disconnect the cable.

You can now take the unit to a bench to disassemble it. There are two Phillips screws and 4 clips that hold the unit together. Remove the two screws and pry the two halves apart. It is easier to start with the two clips on the back towards the center and work your way to the outer two.

Once you separate the two halves the PCB will come right out. Take note of the direction of the LED's, the triangular notch that is missing is the cathode side. Make sure you place your new LED's in the same direction.

Unsolder the old LED's, tin your pads and solder in the new LED's. When you are ready to reassemble the control unit, place the PCB in the button side first and then put the back on.

Snap the two pieces together and install the screws. You can now reassemble the truck and test it out.

Good luck and enjoy!
HEY! where can you get all the blue LEDs for the Tacomas? also too, have you done your shifter column aswell? if so, where did you get all the bulbs at? thanks.... Michael

· Registered
Tacoma, Prerunner
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HEY! where can you get all the blue LEDs for the Tacomas? also too, have you done your shifter column aswell? if so, where did you get all the bulbs at? thanks.... Michael
The LEDs are the same as the cluster, I get mine from LC-LED.com. Part number is in the first post. I build my own shifter lights.

· Registered
Tacoma, Prerunner
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

· Registered
20 Posts
so i just tried this and the LEDS didn't like up. any idea what might have happened? and do i have to put the whole thing back together before i can test? can I leave the air bag out or disconnect it? any help please.!!!!!

So i figured it out. I geuss I had some bad LEDs or i burnt them out. I replaced them with new ones and it looks SWEEEEET!!! now onto the dash :)

· Registered
3 Posts

Tools needed:
10mm Socket setup
T-30 Hex driver
Soldering iron
Solder sucker
Solder

Good luck and enjoy!
I see you have changes the fog lights and traction controls on the left of the steering wheel as well. What type of bulbs or led's do you need for that? Is there a link to this mod here somewehere? I would love to do this. Thanks Tim

· Registered
2010 Tacoma TRD Spor
9 Posts
Thanks for posting this. After I swapped my gauges and clock I was like hmm... how to change the steering wheel buttons..

I probably would've tried prying and breaking them, So I really appreciate you sharing this with us!!

· Registered
5 Posts
Lots of questions.....

I'm a little concerned now. My 2009 model has the stereo button controls but have never been illuminated. Perhaps they didnt illuminate after the year model you have. Not sure how to determine whether this mod is good for anything after your year? Im not good at soldering either and being an OLD guy, my hands are not as steady as they were when I was younger. What kind of skilled person should I seek out to do any mods like this.

Different topic.
I have been trying to do some research into whether or not the driver power window and lock key panel can be illuminated or not as well as all the other doors window switches.

And the other would be the pwr side view mirror controls on the left on the dash.

Seen any mods on these two?

My 2009 came with blanks where controls would have been opposite of the stereo controls...would these have been for the bluetooth controls for the stereo maybe?

· Registered
7 Posts
indeed i have stereo controls on the wheel. however they do not seem to be lighting up very bright and I cant use them because my faceplate is off my deck at the moment and my gf forgot to bring it back so I cant truly check till like friday. psshh women. Everything worked just fine before the mod though, nothing was hit, banged, jolted or otherwise mangled in anyway during the install. put it back together and bam....airbag light is on and not going off. Is it simply a matter of letting it run to recharge or a plug not fully engaged? the only plug I pulled was the one to the steering controls. I didn't mess with any springs or anything like that either, heck i dont even remember seeing anything in there but the wires and controls

· Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,093 Posts
The only reason I asked was because of the spiral cable recall, but it doesn't apply to trucks with the steering wheel controls. Maybe disconnect the battery to reset it and see if it's still a problem? (IIRC someone said there's a fuse you can pull to reset it too, but no idea which one)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.