Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
99 Solara
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, y'all, just joined the forums. I just bought my 99 Solara Saturday and the guy I bought it from gave me 1 key, that's it, no keyless entry remote. He said that was all he had. I found several replacement remotes on ebay at reasonable prices, with programming instructions, but I'm not for sure that the car even HAS remote keyless entry. Is there a way to tell before I spend my money? I looked up the VIN but it doesn't get that specific.
Ideas?

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,243 Posts
There was a website that specialized in selling keyfobs and other accessories.They might be the ones to contact ... get their input.
Will have to look for it later. Try a forum search ... little box ... top right of main page.

·
Registered
99 Solara
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Thanks, y'all. I think I'll just try the remote programming instructions, and if it goes into programming mode, then it must have keyless entry.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've been wondering the same on my 98. Same boat as you getting just a key with the car. Couldn't find the sticky in DIY section. If you find out how to check if it came on the car, please report back on here how to check.

·
Speedkar99 on YouTube
2003 Camry
1,853 Posts
I just bought my 99 Solara Saturday and the guy I bought it from gave me 1 key, that's it, no keyless entry remote.
Congrats on the purchase! How many miles?

Is your car an SE or SLE? If so I suspect is does have remote unlock, the LE was the base model.

Also you could double check the owners manual, it gives an overview of the keys you get with the car.

·
Registered
99 Solara
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it!

First things first, I successfully entered programming mode on the Solara tonight by following these steps:

http://www.programyourremote.com/classified/DisplayAd.asp?id=1218

and it worked, because after I did all this stuff the locks cycled twice, telling me a) that it has RKE, and b) that I was in programming mode. I didn't have a remote to test it with, but I'm ordering one tonight and when it comes in I'll report back. I was tempted to see if I could program the spare key from my Tacoma to open it, but in all likelihood it won't work.

Second, thanks speedkar9! It's the SE model, V6, 5 speed. Everything works. It's got 232K and change, so it's just getting broken in. I drove it over 125 miles tonight just bringing it home, and I'm in LOVE. Rides great, runs great, unless it blows up real quick it was a steal at $1500. First step is new timing belt since I have no maintenance records, next is bodywork cause from the looks of the sides of the car, this dude scraped the side of the car next to him EVERY TIME he went to the store.
I'll get some decent pictures up soon cause you know, we all love to show off our toys.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Easiest way to tell if the car has factory remote entry:

There will be a small panel on the left side of the steering before the knob for the dashboard lights dimming control. It will say 'security' on it and have an LED and small vent looking hole.

For an aftermarket system:
You could also look under the dash by the steering wheel for a 'brain box' or near the driver kick panel, beneath the hood release for this same device.

You said you only received 1 key with the car, does it have a chip in the key (usually a black plastic end) or is it a plain metal Toyota key?

·
Speedkar99 on YouTube
2003 Camry
1,853 Posts
Second, thanks speedkar9! It's the SE model, V6, 5 speed. Everything works. It's got 232K and change, so it's just getting broken in. I drove it over 125 miles tonight just bringing it home, and I'm in LOVE. Rides great, runs great, unless it blows up real quick it was a steal at $1500.
Enjoy your 'lara!

The reason they sell so cheap is because its a 2 door. There isn't much demand for 2 door cars because of its inconvenience and generally higher insurance (depending on who's driving). If it was the 4 door Camry, it would have sold for a grand more. They come better equipped than the Camry's (you can't get wood trim and auto climate control on a 99 Camry).

I got mine for $2100 after tax with 252K km (156K miles) on it. I love how it drives, smooth and very fast.

Looking forward to seeing some pics. Keep up on the maintenance and mods ;)

·
Registered
99 Solara
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keyless entry remote came in the mail today, programmed it second try, everything works but the trunk. Some clown must have tried to break in the trunk before I bought it cause the locks punched out. Im assuming the motor's wasted too but I guess it may be the remote.
Now just waiting on the spare key blank to arrive, I'll take it to Ace and get it ground, then I'll need to program that too. Tuesday it's off to the mechanic to get the timing belt changed out, then the bodywork starts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
Highlander(s)
659 Posts
Easiest way to tell if the car has factory remote entry:

There will be a small panel on the left side of the steering before the knob for the dashboard lights dimming control. It will say 'security' on it and have an LED and small vent looking hole.

For an aftermarket system:
You could also look under the dash by the steering wheel for a 'brain box' or near the driver kick panel, beneath the hood release for this same device.

You said you only received 1 key with the car, does it have a chip in the key (usually a black plastic end) or is it a plain metal Toyota key?

Is this on all years? I have a 99 so would I be looking for same thing?

·
Speedkar99 on YouTube
2003 Camry
1,853 Posts
Keyless entry remote came in the mail today, programmed it second try, everything works but the trunk. Some clown must have tried to break in the trunk before I bought it cause the locks punched out. Im assuming the motor's wasted too but I guess it may be the remote.
Hahah, guess what? Its neither!

The 1999 Solara's never came with a remote trunk option, they started those in 2000. My 99 remote doesn't have a button for the trunk.

·
Registered
97 Camry LE
192 Posts
i was under the impression the camry/ solaras of this vintage came with the rs3000 system. the alarm ecm is under the drivers seat, a small black box the size of a wallet. i have looked under the seats on the 4th gen cammies ive found at used lots and boneyards, and some just have the connection under the seat, some have the box cable tied to a slit in the carpet. and, of course, the LED and glassbreak sensor next to the s wheel.

i know there is a difference in the grey remote and the black remote for the rs3000 system. they dont interchange.

... and my car was a lease car... dealer installed pop up sunroof... and that hideous damn 'wood' trim around EVERYTHING. first order of business was getting that out. LOL.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ah the old wood trim. I peeled that off the next day after I bought mine. Get yourself some goo b gone to remove the residue. I used the factory heat on high for an hour to warm up all the trim pieces. Used a old gift card to lift it up. Took some love and time but it's all gone.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Speedkar99 on YouTube
2003 Camry
1,853 Posts
i was under the impression the camry/ solaras of this vintage came with the rs3000 system. the alarm ecm is under the drivers seat, a small black box the size of a wallet. i have looked under the seats on the 4th gen cammies ive found at used lots and boneyards, and some just have the connection under the seat, some have the box cable tied to a slit in the carpet. and, of course, the LED and glassbreak sensor next to the s wheel.
Interesting...I ripped up my entire interior (seats, carpet, etc) for sound proofing and did not see any black box in my Solara. I know mine has an alarm system with keyless entry. I thought that the keyless entry / remote system was in a box mounted on the C pillar, or maybe thats just the Gen 5's.

·
Registered
99 Solara
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hahah, guess what? Its neither!

The 1999 Solara's never came with a remote trunk option, they started those in 2000. My 99 remote doesn't have a button for the trunk.
Well ain't that a pain. Glad you told me before I started tearing the trunk lid apart looking for the solenoid.

I didn't see any box either, mine has a security light on the tachometer and a blinking light on the dash. Here's how I checked the keyless entry:
1. Start with key out of ignition, drivers door open, all others closed and unlocked.
2. Insert key into ignition and remove.
3. Cycle power door locks 5 times with drivers side door lock switch.
4. Close and open drivers door.
5. Cycle locks 5 more times.
6. Insert key into ignition, turn to on (not start) then back to off, then back to on, then back to off.
7. Remove key.
8. The locks should cycle. You are now in programming mode.
9. To program keyless remote, press and hold lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for 1 second.
10. Release both buttons and immediately press lock button and hold 2 seconds. Locks should cycle automatically.
11. Repeat steps 9 and 10 for each new transmitter. If you wait too long, you'll have to go through steps 1 through 8 again.
12. Go have a beer to celebrate saving yourself over $100 from what the dealership would have charged you to do this.

·
Speedkar99 on YouTube
2003 Camry
1,853 Posts
Here's how I checked the keyless entry
I picked up some remotes from the junkyard recently. I followed your steps to program them in my Solara. Same as those outlined here:
http://www.programyourremote.com/classified/1999-toyota-camry-solara-listing-6085.aspx#.U1R4A1eXPHg

My car has factory alarm and keyless entry. The serial number on the back of the remotes is FCC ID CO43VT14T. I know that the Solara and Gen 4.5 Camry remote will interchange, as I pulled one of the remotes from a Gen 4.5 Camry in the junkyard.

Here's how I did it:

·
Registered
2013 Toyota Camry L
6 Posts
I went to carandtruckremotes.com looked up the remote for my car and wasnt sure if it was the right one, so the have a contact link you can give them your vin and they will tell you if it is the right one or which one you need. and they are cheap

1 - 20 of 20 Posts