Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
You can try adjusting the tensioner. Pump it 3x and see if the screeching goes away.

This screech could be that the tension is not right.
My mechanic adjusted the tension yesterday morning. They suggested that if this doesn't solve the problem, then I will have to get the belt replaced.

The current belt was put by another mechanic who is no longer in business. My current shop has adjusted the tension twice. This is a dayco belt I had bought from Advance auto almost 2 years back and given to the original mechanic to put on. I doubt a serpentine belt goes bad after 20k miles?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I see. Take a look at the pulley to see if there's any material on the surface from the belt.

The belt seems to have stretched and the tensioner can't remove the slack out of the belt.
Just curious. What sepintine belt did you use on your Corolla?

·
Slow AF
2012 Matrix
311 Posts
Any noise issue on cold starts during the winter especially?
I don't have vvti sounds but my belt started squealing on start in the winter. For what it's worth my car was squealing in the underground parking that was heated. Changed my belt when I did my water pump and it would squeal occasionally after that. When I changed my alternator my squealing stopped but it took me a little while to get the belt tension just right.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't have vvti sounds but my belt started squealing on start in the winter. For what it's worth my car was squealing in the underground parking that was heated. Changed my belt when I did my water pump and it would squeal occasionally after that. When I changed my alternator my squealing stopped but it took me a little while to get the belt tension just right.
I guess the tension is key to try to eliminate any noises.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts