Toyota Nation Forum banner

how to tell if california or fedral emissions

55K views 22 replies 2 participants last post by  Perkins 
#1 · (Edited)
hey everyone, i got a 2000 camry 5sfe 4 cylinder AT car. the head just had some problems and im looking to order a new head i know there is a difference in the head between CA vs fed emissions. i also know there is a sticker under the hood saying which one it is (but it appears that sometime before me it had a new hood put on because all the stickers are non existent). how can i tell the difference between the two without the sticker? any dead give aways? certain vin codes etc? i tried searchin but i didnt come up with any advice. thanks. all help is appreciated

here is a picture in case it helps. thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Look on the bottom side of your hood at the vacuum routing diagram.. if its federal it will say FED. if its California it will say CALI.

Another way to tell is to look at the injectors. The California Injectors have an Insulator on the thick section of the injector, right around where the injector fits inside the head. the Federal do not.

There are also extra vacuum lines underneath where the VSV goes for Emissions Purposes.

#3 ·
i cant see the injectors before removing them theyre covered in grease and oil from a valve cover leak. also as i stated before, all of my stickers under the hood are gone. that is why i cant figure it out. i have no wiring or vacuum diagrams or any of it. any ways to tell by the vin or multiple cats or any dead blow giveaways?

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
CALIFORNIA:
REMOVE AIR TUBE
(a) Disconnect the following hoses:
(1) w/ A/C:
A/C hose (from ASV) from air tube
(2) 2 air hoses (from PS pump) from air tube
(3) California only:
2 vacuum hoses from VSV (for fuel pressure
control)
(4) Vacuum hose from air intake chamber
(b) Remove the 3 bolts, wire clamp and air tube.
21. DISCONNECT 2 ENGINE WIRE GROUND STRAPS
FROM INTAKE MANIFOLD
22. DISCONNECT KNOCK SENSOR AND VSV (FOR
EGR) CONNECTORS
23. CALIFORNIA ONLY:
DISCONNECT VSV (FOR FUEL PRESSURE CON–
TROL) CONNECTOR
24. REMOVE VSV OR VSV ASSEMBLY

This is for CALIFORNIA ONLY. Thats why I said if you look where the VSV is its your Dead Give Away.

If you dont know your motor is Original, its hard to tell by VIN #

The California VSV Is almost like two VSV's stacked on top of each other with a vacuum line running to each one.

reach behind the intake and feel in the middle of where it attaches to the head.

You will probably have to remove the intake tube to reach it easily.

You could also locate the ECM if that doesn't confirm it for you. The Computers are Different for CALI and FED.

#13 ·
i iwll check that, but im pretty sure they should be under the hood. the hood insulation has cutouts for the stickers theyre just not on there and i can see the hood has been repainted so who knows what happened to them.

if i just call the dealer in the morning and give them the vin they should be able to tell me what emissions shouldnt they? thatll be alot easier than tearing apart the car in the rain

#14 ·
If you have your VIN # and you think your motor hasn't been changed, you could also check http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/ and look up your VIN.

It may show you what model you have, if not then check for Injectors as the part #'s will be different

numbers for automatic tranny, non-japan made
a) federal
23209-74100

b) california
23209-74140

#15 ·
i typed my vin in on that site and clicked fuel injection parts and it said california next to part numbers so im assuming its a cali car. i think im just going to order the california head worst case scenario i just plug the extra port. better than not having what i need. and i live in california so it wont hurt

#19 · (Edited)
As you can see from the pictures below, The concave section of the piston, and the concave section on the head is what makes this motor non-interference.

I'm not trying to throw you in the wrong direction though so don't think that..
I just dont want to see you buy this head, and it not solve your problem. It would be a waste of money, and time

In a 5sfe its not a well known problem to have bent valves.

#20 ·
to be honest im not exactly sure whats wrong with it i havent dove into it at all. i jus tknow it clanks really bad and runs rough and i can hear it really bad with my stethoscope through the valve cover and the noise is non existent in the oil pan. and i dont have time to tak eoff the head drop it off let it sit and get rebuilt id rather just pay the buck for a new one and have it here and swap em out in a day

#22 ·
ya i know how to tak eout cams and whatnot im a certified diesel auto tech i just dont do toyotas often. i just did a new head on a 96 tacoma 4 cylinder its a dual overhead cam too so it wasnt bad. i can dive right into an engne no problems im fine but as for where a computer is inside a camry i couldnt tell ya

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.