Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can Someone PLEASE help me. I need to have the check engine light turned off but dont want to spend $500 at the dealer. Does ANYONE know how I can manually turn this off. I did the battery thing, it worked for a day, then came back on. Any suggestions??:confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
reset ecu

go to 6gc.net they have a couple of tricks just for your 6th gen celica. look in the how to part of the home page.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Can Someone PLEASE help me. I need to have the check engine light turned off but dont want to spend $500 at the dealer. Does ANYONE know how I can manually turn this off. I did the battery thing, it worked for a day, then came back on. Any suggestions??:confused:
If you did the "battery thing" and it come back on, something is wrong with your engine. Spend the money to get it fix or save up for new engine.

·
Raging Raven
05 Dodge Neon SRT-4
1,095 Posts
Go to AutoZone. They check your CEL and can turn it off for you... all for FREE!
Really they arent allowed to erase the code (i work at AZ). I was told that AutoZone got sued over a code be erased and something happened to that car (which is really stupid btw) and so now we can't unless that problem has been fixed, and beileve or it not, need actual proof you got it fixed or you bought the part to fix it with. Just a lilttle FYI. Don't know if it's true or not.

Do I need to go to an AutoZone mechanic, or just the store and ask them?
Thanks soo much!!
just go in and say you need your car scanned.

then you have a problem that needs to be fixed. Now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
for liek 90 bucks you can get a little handheld code reader, that will also shut off or reset the light. Then once you have the code reader, you will have it for future use.. Go check all your friends' check engine lights for fun.

·
Registered
1990 Turbo All-Trac
225 Posts
Even if you erase the code with the code reader or by disconnecting the battery, the light will come back after awhile. The reason your having that issue is because thier is something that wrong with your car, and needs to be address. Once its fix the engine light will go off by itself. The ecu will have it in its memory that you had that issue before, but if the battery is disconnected it reset that memory. In other words just get that issue fix. Chances are that it's an easy fix anyway as your car still seems to be running OK.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts