Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be a tutorial on how to make a housing and apparatus for placing LED's under your car. This method protects the lights from extreme cold moisture and snow. I have used this for one Canadian winter so far and they have come through it with no damage and have shown great durability.
THIS IS WHAT WE ARE GOING TO MAKE:

THESE ARE THE MATERIALS YOU WILL NEED
(you will also need electrical tape and scissors)

CLEAR TUBING

LED LIGHTS

PLASTIC BACKING

CABLE TIES OR OTHER FORM OF SECURING THEM TO YOUR CAR

STEP 1 MAKE LIGHTING APPARATUS ACCORDING TO DIAGRAMS SHOWN BELOW:

STEP 2 FIT 2 CLEAR TUBES TOGETHER AND ASSEMBLE LIGHTING APPARATUS WITH CLEAR TUBE HOUSING

STEP 3 PACK THE ENDS WITH PLASTIC BAGS AND TAPE SECURELY TO WATERPROOF THE ASSEMBLY

STEP 4 MOUNT ON CAR (i find that running the wires up one of the floor gromets and under the carpet works well and provides close proximity to the fuse panel)

OTHER PICTURES BELOW TO GIVE A MORE ACCURATE PICTURE OF THE PROJECT ONCE IT IS MOUNTED.

Hopefully this has been informative and helpful. I mounted them last year so I was unable to take pictures of them being made but I trust the diagrams make it straightforward.

· Slip-Slap in my Camry
@007 camry se v6
869 Posts
i just got the 7 color underbody kit, i was going to go this route but the light s were to refined to certain spots, i guess if you added more lights it would be more even together but having the lights just look light lights rather then a bar was a turn off, so maybe i will do a diy for installing the premade underbody kits, and yes it is all illegal here to in california, but i will only have them on when i am parked or at a show

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya I'm never sure about the nuances of the law when it comes to accent lighting, I just usually restrict their use to the downtown strip or parking lots. But ya I always liked the look of the individual LED's personally (and btw you can put as many lights along the tube as you want. 5 actually looks more complete [just buy 2 packs of lights and wire a fifth to the chain of lights] thats the way I did my sisters car and it looks more finished) but the individual ones attaching to the underbody just weren't durable to last through the snow drifts as the tube housing I ended up constructing so thats why I went this way.

But glad to see it is informative to yall and thanks for moving it over to the master LED section.

· Goes Against The Grain
02 Camry SE V6
22,886 Posts
Personally i think they would look better as pure white, like puddle lighting when you unlock or open the door.

Have one under each door as accent lighting.

· =]
nasa space shuttle
4,703 Posts
hrm thats a different approach at this. I was looking into this a year or two back ... couldnt find white led lights locally and didnt want to order stuff.
But the method I was going to do really discouraged me from doing it. Taking teh side skirt off, cutting holes etc.

Maybe when the weather gets nicer I'll see

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
Instead of buying tubing and puddle lights, you can buy weatherproof LED strips. Might cost as much and less work.

Click on image to go to products links at Oznium

Pre-wired Waterproof Ribbon LED Strips

Silicone Encased LED Strips

Beefy LED Strips

Surface Mount LED Bar

No need to daisy chain, all are 120° angle, durable and flexible. Additional images and lights in action can be found via link.

I dont work for them but I love their products and customer service is great. All items have 1 year warranty, no questions asked. Even if you dont use it within the year and want to return, you can. Instead of cathodes for footwells, I'm going to use LED strips.

· Not-So-New TN User
2007 Toyota Camry SE
5,606 Posts
Instead of buying tubing and puddle lights, you can buy weatherproof LED strips. Might cost as much and less work.

Click on image to go to products links at Oznium

Pre-wired Waterproof Ribbon LED Strips

Silicone Encased LED Strips

Beefy LED Strips

Surface Mount LED Bar

No need to daisy chain, all are 120° angle, durable and flexible. Additional images and lights in action can be found via link.

I dont work for them but I love their products and customer service is great. All items have 1 year warranty, no questions asked. Even if you dont use it within the year and want to return, you can. Instead of cathodes for footwells, I'm going to use LED strips.
Yea, but can you vary the distances between the LEDs with the strips? You want 5 max per strip

bc the puddles light they only use 4-5 each side. i love this mod, need to do it in white
With your car being that low... i don't know how much good it will do... hahaha... the higher up you are, the bigger the circle of light... you just have 5 dots, hahaha

G

·
With your car being that low... i don't know how much good it will do... hahaha... the higher up you are, the bigger the circle of light... you just have 5 dots, hahaha
haha true that, ill look into it soon. but im happy with something like this

man spring is here soon, cant wait to mod again

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
Yea, but can you vary the distances between the LEDs with the strips? You want 5 max per strip
You can no vary distance. The LED strips would have a different look than the puddle lights. Rather than circle lights, it would be an even output. Simliar to that of footwell/trunk. There will be no circle light aimed at the ground. I believe the LEDs from the strips are smaller than those of the puddle lights so it would require more than 5.

I knew I saw puddle lights on Oznium and their waterproof...

High Intensity LED Flood

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.