Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 highlander v6
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In hot weather like Texas ot Florida. ??

My cars have always had mechanically driven air conditioners.

·
Registered
48 Posts
In hot weather like Texas ot Florida. ??

My cars have always had mechanically driven air conditioners.
My wife thinks the ac works fine in our 2019 hybrid.

It defaults to recirculate, eco mode and half power on the fan to conserve the battery.

It has been 97 degrees in Utah lately and I set my side to 70 and my wife sets hers to 75 and we never turn it off at stop lights and it seems cool. In the 80 degree weather I have been operating at 74 degrees.

Fuel economy doesn’t seem to go down with the ac. We are averaging 41 mpg freeway and city.

My 2000 Chev pickup ac is an ice box and the Rav 4 can’t compare but the Rav 4 is fine.

·
Registered
Rav4 Hybrid
84 Posts
In humid NJ, fine. It's been in the 90s the past week. No problem and I have the engine on ECO. I have a Hyundai hybrid too, nare a problem.

·
6,631 Posts
You have electric AC compressor. thus, it does not take any power away from the engine, to lower mpg. It is hybrid battery power supplied. So if you drive normally and recharge battery, you should see no drop in mpg.

●Outside/recirculated air mode may automatically switch depending on the
temperature setting or the inside temperature.
■When the outside temperature exceeds 75°F (24°C) and the air conditioning
system is on
●In order to reduce the air conditioning power consumption, the air conditioning
system may switch to recirculated air mode automatically. This may also
reduce fuel consumption.
●Recirculated air mode is selected as a default mode when the power switch
is turned to ON mode.
●It is possible to switch to outside air mode at any time

·
Registered
2004 highlander v6
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife thinks the ac works fine in our 2019 hybrid.

It defaults to recirculate, eco mode and half power on the fan to conserve the battery.

It has been 97 degrees in Utah lately and I set my side to 70 and my wife sets hers to 75 and we never turn it off at stop lights and it seems cool. In the 80 degree weather I have been operating at 74 degrees.

Fuel economy doesn’t seem to go down with the ac. We are averaging 41 mpg freeway and city.

My 2000 Chev pickup ac is an ice box and the Rav 4 can’t compare but the Rav 4 is fine.

my non hybrid older nissan maxima switches to outside air when it is shut off, so for short trips and hot days you have to manually select inside air every startup to get max cooling. really dumb.

·
Registered
604 Posts
The electric A/C compressor on our Prius works fine. It's especially cool (pun intended) to be sitting at a traffic light in silence with the gas engine not running and cold air flowing from the vents. I've waited for probably 15 minutes at a car wash for a bay to free up on a hot summer day with the engine off and the A/C running - it's my favorite feature on hybrid cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2017 Limited Hybrid since new. The a/c is as good as it gets. A lot of high eighties and nineties (f) here in northern Indiana this summer and last. The dual zone auto setting makes everyone comfortable. I drive in eco most of the time. On days when the RAV sits in the sun I change to Sport mode. This lets the compressor and circulation fan run on high. When in eco the fan runs one notch below max when temp is set to lowest setting. As the inside temp gets lower, the fan runs at slower speeds.
plenty of high ninety degree temps here to test the system. The auto system does a good job of keeping the comfort level stable.

If I set to recirculate, it stays when shutting off and restarting. The system does sense when the humidity level is high and will switch to outside air.

I’ve taken a trip to Florida in the summer and had a very comfortable trip. A previous trip to Louisiana and on to San Diego with two passengers in May was also without complaints. If anything, it would probably be more comfortable if it had a/c vents in the rear console. This has been corrected in the 2019 models.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't have to worry about decreased air at stop lights(no belts), or high altitudes, HV/ac works super dupper no drain on ICE, but really expensive to replace because electric components. My 2013 Sonata HV limited a/c been working great just make sure cabin filter is clean or decreased a/c abilities but that goes for any A/C.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also real nice if stopped for long periods (like waiting outside hospital for friends appt), less ware n tare on ICE, which is off most of time, yea baby.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts