Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today i went to the junk yard and i came out... i didn't even noticed till i came home and began working on my car to noticed 1 lug was missing from each wheel.. first i thought it fell off but all 4 of the same one?? impossible... the ones that's missing where bull locks wheel locks..
http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/m...PROD&Product_Code=bulllock01&Category_Code=L1 i got from here locally.... the rest i had was muteki lug nuts.. http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/m...en=PROD&Store_Code=EM&Product_Code=Muteki-Blk these.. i bought them because they match :) .. but the muteki remained on the car

well from the site it said it's impossible to take those bull locks off w/o the key.. but apparrenty it's not.. and i know muteki are pretty popular my friend even has a set and i can use my key on his.. so it's just a universal key..for all of them. I only bought the bull locks because i thought it'd be hard to take off but that's not the case... i'm just glad i keep my car in the garage all the time..

so the question is which wheel locks do you use? i prefer some black ones that matches the rest... now i'm all paranoid :sosad:

·
ASE Master, now Realtor
A 1989 Camry
368 Posts
I decided about 20 years ago that I needed wheel locks.

I had parked my three year old Supra outside a friend's townhouse, and I heard a car pull up outside. My friend was certain it was her younger sister trading saliva with her boyfriend before coming inside. The vehicle pulled away, and no sister. A half hour later I went out to my car to go home and found the whole thing sitting on some wood that had been stacked nearby. I had nice Dunlop D-4 tires on the nice Supra wide mags. At least, I used to. Now, someone else had them.

$1,987 later I had a new set from the dealer, with wheel locks in place.

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^^ how does that help me ?

·
ASE Master, now Realtor
A 1989 Camry
368 Posts
Fair question.

Clearly, these guys were not just driving by. They had seen my car there the night before, and noted the lack of wheel locks. Had I had the set of locks on the wheels, they could have served as a deterrent.

In the shop, I had a set of tools used to remove wheel locks when a key was lost. Using those tools required a heavy hammer that would wake the dead. It was a lot of time and work just to remove one lock.

So, how well do wheel locks work?

Well enough that those new wheels stayed on my car until the day I sold it.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,894 Posts
thats weird they arent different. when ive been in stores and when comparing wheel locks by the same manufacturer, they had different keys. i was curious to compare 4 together, and none of them matched. maybe check out other companies? i would be worried to have the same lock as everyone else with that brand lugs. but its better than having no locks at all!

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
there's got to be some overlap in keys...that, and they do make tools just for removing wheel locks

in the case of oem wheel locks, there are only so many types as well- hell, you can buy the entire set of something like, 20 or 30 off of ebay

in short, they work as well as an alarm does- acts as a deterrant, but if somebody REALLY wants your wheels, you better have your car parked inside

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Grenaded piston
6,602 Posts
^ Looks like they have a hex shaped section on the end. So someone most likely just used a normal socket and wrench on your wheel locks.

I used Gorilla wheel locks. They came in a 20 pack, guess they worked cos no one ever tried to jack my wheels. That along with a alarm and a .45 ACP with jacketed hollow points is all I need. ;)

http://gorilla-auto.com

http://www.mcgard.com/automotive

·
ASE Master, now Realtor
A 1989 Camry
368 Posts

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^^^ too expensive :lol:

·
Registered
232 Posts
what are those epsilon?

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
make sure you get them flat/angled/conical depending on your wheel (ie the standard factory steelies use 60 degree angled nuts). if you get the wrong ones, they wont 'bite' and will just rattle and fall off.

·
Under Reconstruction
4,349 Posts
atobe said:
I don't see how those RAYS are wheel locks it just looks like any other nuts... i think i'll get these
http://gorilla-auto.com/products/?sfID1=259&sfID2=260&productName=ACORN+BLACK+CHROME&image=5713.jpg to match the black spline lugs i have on right now
Rays lug nuts feature one 7-sided nut per wheel. These heptagonal nuts look stock from a distance, but can only be removed with the specially designed socket that comes with the set. There are several different key patterns of lug nuts to ensure the security of your wheels.

·
Bullitprooph
1991 Celica GT-S
1,501 Posts
Epsilon said:
Rays lug nuts feature one 7-sided nut per wheel. These heptagonal nuts look stock from a distance, but can only be removed with the specially designed socket that comes with the set. There are several different key patterns of lug nuts to ensure the security of your wheels.
Those are good. Every time a car comes in with them on the rims (not often) we have to send the car to over to the welders to torch them off. Cheap 'n fast way to remove them when all you care about is scrap metal value, but no amateur thiefy will be getting yer rims.

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
my deterrent is even better, you cant even see my wheel nuts :) youd have to spend extra time guessing what kind of wheel locks i got behind my cover :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts