Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Avalon Ltd
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 XLE has about 10,000 miles on it. Today I noticed a scratch on my wifes seat about an inch long. It looked like a black pen mark. Upon close inspection the tan surface of the leather has been scratched off.

She has no idea how she did it of course. I wonder how well these seats will wear.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My 2012 XLE has about 10,000 miles on it. Today I noticed a scratch on my wifes seat about an inch long. It looked like a black pen mark. Upon close inspection the tan surface of the leather has been scratched off.

She has no idea how she did it of course. I wonder how well these seats will wear.
So far, the leather seats in my 2013 XLE are fine. The leather seats I had in my 1996 XLE lasted for the entire time I had the car, with no issues at all. The same is true for the leather seats in out 2005 Mercedes CLK320, and also for the Jeep Cherokee we previously owned.

Not sure how that could have happened with your car, and hopefully it is barely noticeable. Myself, I do use a leather cleaner when I clean the car (winter is just about impossible to do that, although I did clean the interior a few weeks ago).

·
Registered
2019 Avalon Ltd
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure how that could have happened with your car, and hopefully it is barely noticeable. Myself, I do use a leather cleaner when I clean the car (winter is just about impossible to do that, although I did clean the interior a few weeks ago).
My wife has no idea what she did. I think I'll see if I can get it fixed. It's not real noticeable but I see it, you know how that is. These are the coated leather seats so I don't think it hurt the leather, just the coating. I just don't want it to grow either.

·
Registered
see below
251 Posts
A couple of months ago I was devastated when my son exited my TCH, only to leave an 8" V from a ball point protruding out of his backback. The mark was on the ultrasuede between the leather panels, and using 70% alcohol, I was able to totally remove it. On leather, I don't know if the same process should be applied especially if you think some of the protective coating might have already been compromised.
Best of luck,
elliot

·
Registered
2019 Avalon Ltd
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A couple of months ago I was devastated when my son exited my TCH, only to leave an 8" V from a ball point, protruding out of his backback. The mark was on the ultrasuede between the leather panels, and using 70% alcohol, I was able to totally remove it. On leather, I don't know if the same process should be use especially if you think some of the protective coating might have already been compromised.
Best of luck,
elliot
Mine has an actual scratch where the protective coating is gone. I have an appointment with Fibrenew on Friday to have it repaired.

This is my winter car but I'm still a bit fussy about it. My wife says I'm a perfectionist. Oh well. I do try hard to keep things nice.

·
Registered
12 Camry, 19 SantaFe
203 Posts
Tiny tiny cracks OUT from stitching

I have a 2012 XLE I4 30k miles with grey leather seats. I noticed some really small cracks on especially the drivers seat seeming to come from the stitching in the center lighter colored leather last summer. I just treated my seats for the first time since it got cold in early Dec and really can't see they are getting any worse, but will inspect them in a month when it's (hopefully) warm enough to do a really good interior clean & exterior wax. The photo does not really show them well due to macro using a flash.

The reason I'm paranoid is the same thing happened on our 2007 Jeep Gr Cherokee leather and it's expanded to full hairline cracks over the interior of section on the entire driver seat. The leather in that series of "daimler cheapened" Jeeps is known to have problems, so I am hoping Toyota uses better products ... but then again it's a Camry, not Avalon, not Lexus so how good is it really? Also I mentioned this at the dealership last summer when I first noticed it and they w/o looking said just mention it for a warranty fix right before the 36k mi warranty is up, but when I had them look at it 2 months ago during an oil change they thought I was crazy, so I don't expect to get much help from the dealer.

Based on reviews and recommendations I started using Voodoo conditioner on the Jeep and now also the Camry on a monthly basis during warm months; both seats really absorb the solution and are real slick & supple for a few weeks so it seems to be working. Why Toyota uses such light colored leather is beyond me, may be they want to be sure we wash it since we can see the dirt?!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't blame you, RockHam, for being paranoid about the leather. Hey, all of us that have leather seats paid good, hard-earned money for it, and unless we don't take care of it (you certainly do, as do I), there is no reason to expect the leather to have any issues. In fact, just the opposite is true. That is, the leather must have no issues!

So far, the leather seats in our 2013 XLE V6 fine. In reality, the back seats hardly get used, so of course they are just about perfect. But, we always use the Camry whenever my wife and I go someplace, and thus both front seats are being used.

We've had leather seats in all of our cars sine 1988. Started with a 1988 Honda Accord, then a 1992 Jeep Cherokee, a 1996 Camry V6 XLE, a 2001 BMW 525i, a 2005 Mercedes Benz CLK320 (still have it), and most recently, the 2013 Camry. We have never had any issues with our leather seats except for some "stains" on the ones in the BMW. I suspect that is something I did. I do use Armour Leather Cleaner every other time I clean any of our cars (when the weather is nice), and I'm hoping that is one reason why we have no issues. (I also use it on our leather furniture (couch, matching chair, and computer desk chair, and they seem fine)).

As far as "higher end" vehicles (Lexus, ?Avalon?, etc.), based on my experiences with the CLK320 and 525i, and the "lower" end Camrys and Accord, I don't see any differences.

That Voodoo cleaner, though, looks interesting. I might start using it. But, for now, I think I'll stick with the stuff from Armour All.

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
8,848 Posts

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
8,848 Posts
Yes, if you tend first sit the on the corner the seat and then slide over, the leather will crack. I just first sit directly in the middle of the seat and have no cracking in my 99 Avalon.
Haha cool, never knew you could limit those cracks. Thanks :thumbsup:

·
Account canceled
530 Posts
2012 with 45k miles - the front leather is destroyed, despite trying to keep it clean and using conditioner. I think the oppressive heat we have out here in Yuma, AZ has a lot to do with that. I'll never buy leather again.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,944 Posts
Yes, if you tend first sit the on the corner the seat and then slide over, the leather will crack. I just first sit directly in the middle of the seat and have no cracking in my 99 Avalon.
It might help a bit, but the coated "corium" leather that they use these days is much less crack resistant vs "top grain" leather used on older cars.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.