Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what size socket would fit on the hub/axle nut on a 92 Tercel?

I plan to replace both axles and the front right wheel hub on my daughter's car (the wheel bearing is getting noisy). She is away at university, so I don't have the car here to check for myself. I want to make sure I have everything I need beforehand. I have both axles, and a wheel hub (all from a junkyard), a fairly good socket set (but the largest socket is 22mm), a breaker bar, and assorted other tools. I have read the Haynes manual, and a few threads on here about replacing the axles. I am also wondering if I should replace the transmission seals, or just leave the old ones in and keep my fingers crossed.

Or do I even need a socket for that hub nut? How much force is usually needed to get one off? Would a regular wrench do the job?

Anything else I should get in advance?

Thanks for any advice.

·
The Mad Scientist
Lexus GS300
849 Posts
30mm I'm pretty sure. You'll need the breaker bar. Make sure you tigten it good too.

Get new seals, but if your careful you won't need them. Have them on hand anyway to be safe.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OOps! Somehow I missed seeing your second post, tercelsuperfast. I bought a regular 30mm socket from Sears, but unfortunately it was too shallow to fit over the axle. I eventually found a deep 6 point socket (don't buy the 12 point) for $25 Canadian at a serious parts store. The hub nut came off OK, with both me and my daughter hanging on a 3 foot breaker bar!

Replacing the axle and hub was relatively straightforward, though it took a lot of leverage to get the left axle out of the transmission. And even with one side of the car jacked up, a lot more oil came out of the transaxle (mtx) than I had anticipated. A bit over a litre (a quart). For future reference, you will also need a large (24mm) socket or box wrench to undo the tranny oil filler nut.

The only annoying bit is that I bought a used hub from a wreckers, and the damned thing has some bearing noise in it too (not as bad as the old one, but still bad enough). So I will have to redo the hub at some time. I'm not sure if I should take the old hub to the Toyota dealer, and ask them to press in a new bearing, or else buy a remanufactured hub. Any ideas on the cost of each option?

Thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
136 Posts
to get the wheel bearing replaced, you would save a decent amount of cash dissassembling the hub assembly(disconnecting the knuckle from ball joint, tie rod, axle, strut) yourself, and taking the whole hub/knuckle to any auto repair place to get the wheel bearing replaced. You don't have to take it to Toyota, most shops have bearing presses or hydraulic presses. And if you take the hub/knuckle there yourself, you won't have to pay them for assemble/dissassemble which would be like around $200. They would just press in the new bearing and you'd pay like maybe 1 hour labor, instead of 3 hours.

www.rockauto.com is a great site, and if you shop around, you'll find for the most part they have the best deals...

WHEN YOU GET A NEW WHEEL BEARING, MAKE SURE YOU REPLACE THE INNER AND OUTER WHEEL SEALS!!! if you don't the bearing will go bad again in a year ALSO GET NEW COTTER PINS FOR THE TIE ROD END bolt/nut, and you DON'T have to take the axle back out of the transmission, (so you don't waste the oil) you can just pull the hub/knuckle off the one axle end and leave the transmission side in...

I would think if you took the knuckle to an auto repair place, the total cost of parts/labor would be around $140. If you just let an auto repair place do the whole deal, it would be around $300.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the information and advice, but OUCH! $140 is a lot. I paid about $40 for the junkyard hub (though, of course, look how that turned out!) I am going to have to think about this. The bearing is not too noisy, so should be good enough for a few months. Maybe I can find a better one at a junkyard, and try again.

As an aside, I have been really impressed by my daughter's 92 Tercel. Despite high mileage(now 270,000kms), and years of abuse, with very little maintenance, it has run superbly. And it's quite easy to work on too, I've found. These are GOOD cars. Pity it doesn't have a bit more legroom for me!

·
Registered
136 Posts
$140 was a high estimate, i had mine done and it took a half an hour(to press out old one and press in new one), my estimate was for an hour...so i would guess more realistically like $100 and that's USD, so i don't know what it would be canadian dollar wise...

or you could try another junk yard hub...but i would never recommend a used wheel bearing...here's an idea of a new wheel bearing cost...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-1...ryZ33729QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Remember if you get a new wheel bearing though, replace both inner and outer wheel seals

this would be my opinion...for 2 junk yard hubs it would be almost as much as a new bearing ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts