Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed bottom gauges reflecting at the top of the windshield?

·
Registered
2020 RAV4xse hybrid 2020 Highlander Pl
541 Posts
I occasionally get a reflection of the side edges of the HUD display dependent upon the angle of the Sun, but they are always in the same plane of the HUD display and never high up on the windshield like in the photo.

Actually appears to be a reflection of other gauges from the dash cluster not normally displayed in the HUD. Normally would appear to be in defiance of simple laws of Physics because of the main cluster shroud. However appearances are deceptive...........My .02 is either the driver was wearing dark or mirrored glasses OR the sunroof shade of the platinum was opened and the angle of the Sun was just right to accommodate a bounce back reflection.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I occasionally get a reflection of the side edges of the HUD display dependent upon the angle of the Sun, but they are always in the same plane of the HUD display and never high up on the windshield like in the photo.

Actually appears to be a reflection of other gauges from the dash cluster not normally displayed in the HUD. Normally would appear to be in defiance of simple laws of Physics because of the main cluster shroud. However appearances are deceptive...........My .02 is either the driver was wearing dark or mirrored glasses OR the sunroof shade of the platinum was opened and the angle of the Sun was just right to accommodate a bounce back reflection.
No glasses and picture is at dusk/night.

It is not intentional as the gauges are backwards and I only notice it in the night time. If I hunch over or put the seat very low it disappears, but then the driving position is uncomfortable (I’m not abnormally tall, just 6’1”). It seems that extending the gauge top overhang by an inch or two would have solved it. I think I’ll just have to get used to it…..

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
1,074 Posts
This is a new one!

Must be reflected or projected from somewhere!

Put your hand in front of one and move your hand so you might locate the source of the reflection.

The back of the steering wheel comes to mind as a possible reflector.

I have seen mention that the silver trim above the touch panel sometimes reflects in the windshield too. If I try I can see it from time to time.

My sunglasses make the HUD vanish. Wear some night driving glasses, maybe the the anomalies will disappear…. hee hee

·
Registered
541 Posts
If it happens at dusk when the gauges are lighted, likely it is a reflection off the moon roof. Close the shade and see if it disappears.

Same goes for sunroof reflection in the digital rearview mirror and have to change mirror position.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good suggestion, I will try closing the moon roof shade.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it happens at dusk when the gauges are lighted, likely it is a reflection off the moon roof. Close the shade and see if it disappears.

Same goes for sunroof reflection in the digital rearview mirror and have to change mirror position.
Tested again tonight, it is not from the moonroof (had shade closed). It does actually appear to be straight from the cluster to the top part of the windshield.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Tested again tonight, it is not from the moonroof (had shade closed). It does actually appear to be straight from the cluster to the top part of the windshield.
Easy enough to verify. Slide piece of cardboard over a portion of the HUD projector cluster and see if it disappears. If so there may be an adjustment to a portion of the system.

HUD projector generates graphics of some constant portions like the line bar of the tach, but some info portions like the LKA, NAV directions, and speed limit rotate only display when there is an alert to the driver. I never saw what appears to be your reflections, i.e. gas and temp gauges, (I never had an overheat or low gas) but these maybe only shown on the display when relevant. Just a wild guess, but maybe the" reflector mechanism" is out of adjustment and certain portions available, and not meant to be shown are also being projected. Might explain why it's not being projected in the upper area of the windshield instead of that dedicated rectangular portion in the HUD windshield designed to prevent ghosting of the images from the two layers of laminated glass.

Dealer should know if there is an adjustment, likely not, but at the least a responsible dealer would follow-up with factory techs.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Platinum - Moon Dust
503 Posts
Has anyone else noticed bottom gauges reflecting at the top of the windshield?
Are you looking at the reflection or are you looking at the HUD information?

Train your eyes to look at the HUD information and the reflection won't be there. :)

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
1,074 Posts
Train your eyes to look at the HUD information and the reflection won't be there. :)
LOL

I guess I am trained. I hardly ever notice the HUD. A near useless gimmick in my book. But I suppose some prople find it useful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts