Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Camry XSE 6Cyl.
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard a humming (motor) sound coming from my trunk area today. Car was off since previous evening. Sounded like maybe electric fuel pump? Has anyone else had this happen? It stopped when I pressed smart key button and is not doing it now, but......

·
Registered
261 Posts
I know that the 2012 is a first year vehicle essentially, and that is why I bought the extended warranty (8yr/125k Platinum Toyota care OEM).

Figure it won't expire until 2020... By then we'll have flying cars anyways. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I heard the same motor sound as you reported which seemed to come from the trunk area. The car (Camry XLE) had been off for several hours. I opened and closed the door and it stopped. I also thought it might be the fuel pump. Haven't heard it since, but only had it for a week. Anyone else had this happen, any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
humming fuel pump?

hi,
i heard the same thing yesterday. when i turned on the key (before ignition) it stopped... have not heard since.
my car is parked uphill. maybe that is the issue?

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,785 Posts
Someone mentioned in another thread on this that its in the manual(haven't read this part yet). Supposedly some sort of pump to pump fuel fumes out or something and it is a normal sound. I hear it on occasion when I go out to the garage for a beer in the evenings

·
2013 Tacoma
2010 Yaris 4-Door LB
612 Posts
It is emissions related. Both our RAV4 and Tacoma do this. In fact, the other night I stepped out to the garage and they were both humming away.

·
Mr D
2012 Camry SE
75 Posts
The Camry is smelling its own trunk checking for gas emissions. It's normal for your Camry to do this. :horsepoop-1:

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's normal. I used to work at the factory in the shipping department, TLS. There is a paper or booklet that mentions a sond may be heard about 30 minutes after shutdown that is an emissions device.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dealership was clueless

It's normal. I used to work at the factory in the shipping department, TLS. There is a paper or booklet that mentions a sond may be heard about 30 minutes after shutdown that is an emissions device.
Went to the local Toyota Dealer and they were completely clueless about the noise...Wanted to keep the car over night.:rofl2:

·
EE Man
114 Posts
This is the EVAP purge valve operating. It is spelled out in the Owner's Manual. Don't ask me what page but I saw it in there yesterday. This sound can occure up to 5 hours after the car is turned off. If you remove the gas cap the sound will stop, but it is normal.

·
Registered
see below
249 Posts
Rear Nuclear Reactor !!

Check the manual

Maybe there should be a forum exclusive to the noises people hear. 95% of them are usually explicable. Well the noises are anyways.

·
Registered
15 Highlander Plat
1,925 Posts
it could be the flux capacitor warming up...

·
Joined the dark side. :D
X - Camry '07 SE
6,240 Posts
especially summer, I would hear humming sound coming from under my car, I look down and 2 cats were both humming away. I get a stick or a rock and fix the humming sound. :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts