Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2005 Corolla XRS
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an annoying buzzing rattling sound of something metalic that occures around 5000rpms and continues to redline. When I accelerate, at 5K rpms the noise starts, and continues until the motor drops down to below 5K rpms, whether the clutch is pressed in or not.

I've taken the car to the dealer and all that did was allow a tech to fly around town in my car at high rpms trying to locate the problem.

I have decided to find the problem myself, but one problem.....where the hell do I start!?!

The sound seems to be coming from the far driver's side of the engine bay, but sounds can be decieving. It is not my intake rattling, my car has made this sound since I got it.

So....where would you start looking?

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
heat shield on the exhaust manifold would be my first place to look.They are very thin and will rust/break around the bolt holes that actually hold it onto the manifold or the bolts will jsut fall out or break. That would be my first guess.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
Are you sure you're not just hitting 'Lift'?

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Oh hell I didnt even realize he was driving a XRS. and you ahve hte intake. Hell there is waht youa re hearing probably then. It is normal engine noise because of the vvti-l and then you maihgt be getting some noise from the intake not being bolted down properly or something.

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
There's TONS of threads about that for XRS. It's normal noise of increased fluid rate through the heater coil and it sounds like a loose metal washer vibrating on a metal rod. Just irritating I agree.

·
2005 Corolla XRS
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've heard that before but no one could explain it to me, or why it only happens some times and not others, or why you can hear it from the drivers seat and not the passenger's.

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
Check to see if the noise happens when you hit lift around 5000rpm. That's it then.

·
2005 Corolla XRS
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't hit lift at 5K rpms, I hit lift at 6400 rpms like all the other XRS corollas....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts