Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
My first Hybrid
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi..

Did any one opened and cleaned the HV battery cooling fan? I read that it is monitored and will show error code if not working..

My car is approaching 50k. Thought of cleaning it. Saw some videos like need rear seat, then the trims etc (on a Camry). Nothing found for Avalon.

Thanks

·
6,664 Posts
Well, I have seen some stories about traction battery fan going dirty. That usually comes with some sort of concurrent aggravating condition. Car is trashed inside, garbage everywhere. Driving in dusty conditions a lot. Rear shelf always covered in junk. So on. For Highlanders, fan intake grills are down to the floor, that does not help, as it collects dirt from there. But for regular clean vehicle - why bother. Keep vent intake clean of obstructions.

I'd say, just for the sake of it, inspect vent. If it has noticeable dirt build up on grill, I'd be concerned.

·
6,664 Posts
Appears to be so:

https://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/p/TOYOTA__AVALON/Battery-Vent-Tube-Duct/10811734/G92D107010.html?partner=googlebase_adwords&kwd=&origin=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnY_jBRDdARIsAIEqpJ0k-pDXZufmddyJIMeJThAP1cCiHPHTZSSliEdMyuORle1nMzoCI9AaAh3CEALw_wcB

1.Is the vehicle subject to any of the operating conditions detailed below?
(1)The vehicle is used for over 15 hours per day.

(2)The vehicle is used over 6days per week.

(3)The right rear seat is used over 50 times per day.
(4)Is vehicle used in a dusty environment or driven in dusty roads

YESGo to step 2.

NOThis Service Bulletin does NOT apply.

·
Registered
292 Posts
This was a big topic for discussion on the Prius forum when I owned one of those. A significant number of people, including myself, took apart the back seat area to inspect the cooling fan. The conclusion was that unless you have a consistent source of contamination the cooling fan will not get dirty enough to need cleaning. The worst source of contamination is a long hair shedding dog. If you have a dog or other such animal you may need to clean the fan at regular intervals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts