1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plugging off auxiliary battery?

Hey all,

New here :D

I have a 2009 camry hybrid. I am going overseas for three weeks and leaving my vehicle behind. The last time I have done this, I had to jump-start the car. I called a Toyota service department and the guy told me to plug off the auxiliary battery. Now, I am in no way a car expert. Actually, I don't know much about cars period. How do you go about doing this? Or is there anything else to make sure that my car starts when I get back?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
205 Posts
Go into the trunk, open the battery compartment (located on the right side) and disconnect the negative terminal on the 12 volt battery. When you get back, open the trunk with your key, reconnect the battery and drive home.

Note! You will lose any pre-set radio stations.

·
Registered
205 Posts
mspeasl,

Toyota recommends that you do this if the car is to be parked for two months or more. Mine has been parked for 2 to 3 weeks at a time without any problems. As to why, the "smart key" system is still active and hunting for a key. Over time it will drain the small 12 volt auxiliary battery in the trunk.

Remember that the hybrid only uses the 12 volt to boot the computers and the traction battery along with MG1 starts the car. A lot of the Prius guys carry a "booster" type battery in their cars not only to help others but also themselves. The Prius battery is not much larger than a motorcycle battery.

I know of one guy whose "emergency boot" battery consists of (4) 3v SF123A Lithium flashlight batteries from our tactical Surefire lights. It's smaller than a small cell phone and if everything is turned off in the car, he claims it will boot the computer and let you start the Prius.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update,

I dropped off my car for maintenance and the guy there told me NOT to mess with the batteries as it can potentially damage or spoil the car's electrics. He says I am better off just jump starting the car. Also, he taught me to plug off the negative of the 15v and not the 12v. What is the difference?

I am actually leaving my car outside since I don't really have a garage. It can get pretty cold here. Is my car doomed not to start anyways? hehe.

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid
1,442 Posts
Greetings:

At around 2 pm I approached the car with the key fob. The
security system did not detect our keyless entry. Then I opened
the door and noticed something peculiar. Nothing would work.

We attempted to start the car using the push button -nothing.
Pressed on the brake for a few secs and did push button button -nothing.
I own a 2007 TCH and have two places in town where I have keyless problems. One is a Denny's restaurant and the other is a Convenience store on the main drag in the north part of town. Both times this happened at night. I had lots of trouble getting either door to recognize either of our fobs. That one time at Denny's I had to hold my fob up to the button to get it to start the car.

A few days later we ate at Denny's again this time during the day. I looked around and saw a 150 foot tall cell tower about 200 foot from the back corner of the restaurant. One day driving by the convenience store is another tall cell tower in behind it.

Evidently it was the cell tower RF causing my fobs to barely work. Next time this happens look for a nearby cell tower. I have no other fob or starting issues as long as I'm over a block from those cell towers. I now park at Denny's as far away from the tower as I can get. We no longer stop at that particular convenience store.

Things to know - When you press the brake pedal pedal, a small green led should light in the start button. It's then you press the start button and hold it for a few seconds for the car to start. Another is when you shut off the car to get out, always look at the clock on the dash, it should be off or dark. This way you know for sure the ignition and power are turned off.

Let us know if you have any more starting problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Auxillary 12v battery charging procedure

Hi,

I want to charge my TCH 2008 aux 12v battery using external charger, I would like to know:
1) If I can connect the charger without taking of the battery ?
2) I heard if you take off the battery everything needs to be reset and programmed - smart key fob, TPMS, I do not want to get into this as I want to do it myself.

Can I use an AGM battery charger similar to Schumacher XCS15 directly with the battery installed in my car (without disconnecting) ?
I will ensure not to turn on the vehicle while it is charging.

Here is what happened:

I have 2008 Camry Hybrid (TCH), it was left for about 3 weeks with 15 minutes start every 6 days, but somehow, the aux battery still discharged.
When I came back everything was dead (reading on the multimeter showed 0.84v).

I followed the TCH manual and got the vehicle jump started,
1) Making sure voltage doesn't exceeds 14 volts while jump starting.
2) Removed the jumper cable.
3) Ran the vehicle for about 45 minutes and some 40 miles.
4) Measured the voltage in the morning and it is still at 11.48 V when in power off position.

It looks to me that I need to recharge the aux battery with an external charger to bring it to full charge, but since it powers all the computers, I do not want to disconnect and lose the settings.

Please suggest what is the right approach to charge the battery.
The charger has AGM mode with all the protections to save battery, is it safe to connect to the battery while battery is still connected to the car ?

Please help!

·
6,410 Posts
1. 12V battery has none to do with startting; it's auxiliary back up for electronics
2. it is a deep cycle battery. you can possibly choose to fork for a deep cycle charger.
3. no, you can charge it "in situ". without removing
4. i charged mine with a regular charger. it took FOREVER to do that though. those can take a lot of charge in. took me good day and a half to get to green light on charger.
5. smart folks hook up a small 12V back up battery, parallel to the main one, if they need to remove it for replacement or such.
6. in case yours is d-e-d, dead, best replacement is yellow top Optima from Sam's. best price around. does not have hydrogen vent provisions though , with tubes. has only evacuation plugs. you can attach tubes to them, if you want to, with some resin. your call. OEM deep cycle is much more expensive dealership item. shy of $300.
7. you can use regular battery instead, but I'd not recommend this. there's good reason they put deep cycle one in.
8. after fully charged, battery should show above 14V on voltmeter.
9. temp sensor you simply peel off and place onto a new battery. just in case. hope you can still charge it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Charged the battery installed

Thanks ukrkoz,

I was able to get an AGM battery charger, it had 10A and 15A mode. I do not have a spare 12v battery pack, and didn't want to reset the TPMS / Computers and Smart Key fobs, so I charged with vehicle off and battery installed/connected.

I chose 10A to deep/slow charge the battery, it took about 7-8 hours to come to 100%, the voltage now reads at 12.85 V when engine is off and ACC is off, when engine is running it is 14.20 V.

I will continue to monitor the reading for next 3 weeks of usage to determine, if the battery is able to retain charge.

Will keep you posted, I used Schumacher XCS15 charger it has AGM mode and it has 10A / 15A mode as well.

If you use the regular slow charger, it will not charge, I heard 2A charge take forever at least 10A of current is need to charge AGM and < than 14 V. This charger maintained current at 12.80 volts, so I am hoping that my battery will not have been further damaged.

This was the first time it got drained, I am hoping this should get it back to work, will keep you guys posted on my battery revival :).

Thanks !

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid and have a couple of questions.

1. There's no jump terminal in the front of the car to hook up the charger to. Do I simply attach the charger directly to the battery terminals in the trunk? If so, should I leave the trunk open?

2. If I should keep the trunk open, would it be OK for the trunk light to come on or should I remove the bulb while charging the battery?

Jasusa: Has your battery been good since you recharged it? Mine is showing about 11V. While it currently works, I suspect it's on the way to getting completely discharged unless I charge it using a charger. My commute is 3.7 miles each way so I doubt the 12V battery is getting charged for an adequate period by the car.

Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
google "TSB PD020-06", it's a TSB on how to charge the battery. There's a section on how to charge it without using a trickle charger (assuming it's not completely dead) Note that it's the Hybrid Battery that does the charging to the 12v and not the ICE . Charging time also varies with the SOC of the aux battery.

3. If the Automatic Battery Trickle Charger is NOT available, you may charge the 12-volt
battery by turning the vehicle on to “READY.”
&#56256;&#56320; Ensure there is a sufficient amount of fuel for vehicle during this run time.
Run time will vary depending on the state of charge.
&#56256;&#56320; If this method is used, you MUST confirm that the battery is charged to 12.8 volts
using a DVOM.

It's up to you to charge it mounted in the car but for safety reasons they recommend taking it out.

CAUTION:
&#56256;&#56320; Do NOT charge with the battery
mounted in the vehicle.
&#56256;&#56320; Charge in a well-ventilated area.
&#56256;&#56320; Do NOT allow sparks or fire near
the battery.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid and have a couple of questions.

1. There's no jump terminal in the front of the car to hook up the charger to. Do I simply attach the charger directly to the battery terminals in the trunk? If so, should I leave the trunk open?

2. If I should keep the trunk open, would it be OK for the trunk light to come on or should I remove the bulb while charging the battery?

Jasusa: Has your battery been good since you recharged it? Mine is showing about 11V. While it currently works, I suspect it's on the way to getting completely discharged unless I charge it using a charger. My commute is 3.7 miles each way so I doubt the 12V battery is getting charged for an adequate period by the car.

Thanks.
You can charge it with the trunk open. The light will put a little extra load, but should be minor. Maximum charging rate according to Toyota is 5 amps. Here is a quote from the 2012 Specifications in the Owners Manual, that may be of some help:

12.6 - 12.8 V Fully charged
12.2 - 12.4 V Half charged
11.8 - 12.0 V Discharged
(*: Voltage checked 20 minutes after the engine and all the lights are turned off, at 68 deg. F)

If you fully charge it and get it back to specifications. You may want to buy a small automatic trickle charger of 1-2 amps capacity. And plug it in overnight once a week or so. Automotive places should have them. They are intended to be left on the battery for long periods of time without damaging it.

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid
1,442 Posts
The XLE TCH manual says, The power outlet can be used for 12 V accessories that run on less than 10 A. My thinking is the 20 A portable compressor is for gas powered vehicles.

You might try calling Toyota Customer Service toll free number in California. Sometimes they are good at answering questions such as yours. A good toyota dealer service person might know the answer.

Think of sitting still with your engine off, headlights on. They draw lot of amps from the 12 volt battery. Same for the AC on, engine off, the cabin and AC cooling fan next to the radiator both pull lots of amps from that same 12 volt battery.

I don't think I would try it till finding more information from a few phone calls.

B

·
0 Posts
Just talked with the service department about using an air compressor running direct off the battery. I was told as long as it is fused, no problem. I just placed the order with Amazon and will pump my tires to 40 psi cold before heading to Massachusetts this weekend.

·
Registered
2012 Camry
27 Posts
TCH storage

Has anyone stumbled on any information on long term storage of the TCH. By long term, I mean 4 months or so. I know when the Prius first came out, this was a serious issue, but I am assuming this has been ironed out.

I asked our selling dealer and they said they did not think it was an issue. I couldn't find anything in the manual, and searched this forum and came up empty.

We purchased our TCH about 2 months ago and in the summer months we go to Colorado and normally leave our car here, garaged, in Texas. Any experience, links, or information would be much appreciated.

This is my first post on here and I love this car!!! I go wayyyyyy back with Toyota and this is the finest one, yet! How far back?? 1966. :thanks:

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I found this in the Hybrid Systems section of the owners manual:

"As the gasoline engine charges the hybrid battery (traction battery), the
battery does not need to be charged from an outside source. However, if
the vehicle is left parked for a long time the hybrid battery will slowly discharge.
For this reason, be sure to drive the vehicle at least once every
few months for at least 30 minutes or 10 miles (16 km). If the hybrid battery
becomes fully discharged and you are unable to jump-start the vehicle
with the 12-volt battery, contact your Toyota dealer."

This is the best bet, as there is no good way to charge the 245 volt hybrid battery. On the 12 volt, apparently one of the main draws on the battery is the Smart Key system. Check through the manual. I recall reading that there is a way to disable the smart key system so it does not consume power.​

·
Registered
2012 Camry
27 Posts
Reply from Toyota

Following is the reply I received from Toyota:

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. We appreciate the opportunity to address your inquiry regarding storing your 2012 Camry Hybrid.

In addition to the "storage tips" for our conventionally-powered vehicles, our hybrids require additional steps for each battery, as the hybrid vehicle battery and auxiliary battery will discharge and their condition is liable to decline.

To prevent excessive auxiliary battery drainage, charge the battery at least once every two weeks by powering on the hybrid system for 20 minutes with all non-essential electrical accessories (such as air conditioning and audio equipment) turned off. It is not necessary to drive the vehicle, but do not start the hybrid system in an enclosed area unless the tail pipe is connected to an exhaust hose to prevent harmful buildup of fumes. As an alternative, you may disconnect the negative terminal of the auxiliary battery.

For the hybrid vehicle battery, charge the battery at least once every two months by starting the hybrid system for about 30 minutes*. Check that the "ready" light is on and all lights and electrical accessories are off. As with the auxiliary battery charging, it is not necessary to drive the vehicle, but the steps to prevent exhaust buildup must be taken.

*If the auxiliary battery was disconnected, it will have to be reconnected before the hybrid system is started.

We hope you find this information to be helpful. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us at http://www.toyota.com/help/contactus.html.

Sincerely,

Kym Strong
Toyota Customer Experience
"

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
About the only thing would be to disconnect the 12v battery or put a good quality trickle charger on it. The 12v has a rather small capacity and would probably be depleted over the 4 month period.
Toyota used to use Panasonic NiMH batteries, and now I believe make their own under license from Panasonic. The self discharge of these batteries varies quite a bit by temperature. High temperature makes them discharge faster. See page 16 of this Technical Manual. The good news is that they seem to lose charge rapidly in the first few weeks and flatten out after that.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Can TCH be jump started via cigarette lighter?

Using one of those cheap 12V jump starters that plug into the Cigarette Ligter adapter?

Has anyone tried doing this?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.