Toyota Nation Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I looked up the Optima blue top batteries, they seem pretty reasonable at around $175 at Amazon. As much as I would like to save some money with a regular battery, the risks seem a bit too high.
In one thread or another a representative for Optima got involved in this discussion. He confirmed that there is no basic difference in the blue top and yellow top size 34 battery. The blue top which is intended for marine service has some extra wing nut lugs on each terminal, but that is it. There is a difference in the guarantee, and I recall the yellow top guarantee is better. Not sure on price.

But neither size 34 has a vent connection. The Prius model does, and while a little smaller and lower in capacity it should work fine. It would be the safest choice. This battery doesn't start the motor. The only need for capacity and it would be best represented as Reserve Capacity is to power up the security and smart key system when the vehicle is turned off. A bigger battery could be left longer without it going flat. But we are probably talking months, not days.

I'm hoping by the time mine fails in 2020 or so, Optima or someone else will be making a size 34 AGM battery with a vent connection.

·
6,500 Posts
1. trunk is not sealed. It's not space ship or airplane.
2. AGM batteries produce very little, if any, byproduct exhaust.
3. so far, no one reported a single instance of non vented batteries catching fire or causing any other issue. Many had them installed though.
4. with little hand skill and a bit of ingenuity, exhaust tubes can be installed onto porous vents yellow tops have, and connected to OEM vent tube. Optimas do have porous vents.

·
6,500 Posts
I'd start with cleaning terminals. THAT is more plausible cause.
My OEM Panasonic was well into 8 yrs of service without any major issues, when I swapped it for Optima. But I keep my terminals clean.
12V is charged off traction battery, and continuously. Even if the car does not run. So something might have burped in that charging system.
Deep cycle battery like this should last LONG time.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Other possible reasons:

1. Repeated short trips causing the 12V not getting charged back up and thus slowly going down on charge with each trip.
2. Possible loose or rusted connection of the negative cable to the chassis.

I would check the cable connection in 2 above and charge it overnight with a battery charger that doesn't exceed the recharge specs given in the manual. If the battery revives this way, you are probably fine for some time but if 1 above is the reason, you would want to put it on the charger periodically so it doesn't remain at a low SOC and sulphate or you don't run into a dead battery again.

If you find the battery still acting up, apart from getting another OEM battery from Toyota, another choice is the Exide Edge AGM batteries. They all come with the vent port on each side (switchable using the provided cap), but make sure to request they include the "elbow" so you can connect the vent tube to the battery using that elbow.

·
Registered
201 Posts
One precaution I take both on my Prius and the TCH is to switch off ALL electricals including the radio, A/C, head lights, interior lights, etc., and then further remove my foot from the brake pedal so the rear brake lights are off BEFORE I switch off the car. This way none of the electrical load, especially of the front and rear lights transfers to the 12V on switch-off, thus conserving as much of the charge as possible. This is critical for me since my commute is 3.7 miles each way, thus barely giving back to the 12V what was taken to switch the system on. I still do every few months put the batteries on the CTEK MUS4.3 charger overnight.

·
Registered
369 Posts
ok here's a tip..
The battery on my 2008 Camry died at 4 years old.
Autozone put an electric load tester on it and pronounced it fine
The main dealer did the same !

Still the Camry kept failing to start on a morning and had to be jump started off wifey's car

I bought a $3 acid tester and checked each cell. The specific gravity in Number 4 cell was VERY bad

Went back to Autozone and told him and bought a new battery. He was still insisting the battery was fine so I told him he could have it personally and sell it to a "friend"

The new battery fixed the problem and the car has been 100% ever since..

You need a $3 battery acid tester - its my favorite tool... I used to use those back in the 60's but then we went all electronic didn't we. Sometimes the old methods are the best.

·
2007 TCH owner
341 Posts
ok here's a tip..
The battery on my 2008 Camry died at 4 years old.
Autozone put an electric load tester on it and pronounced it fine
The main dealer did the same !

Still the Camry kept failing to start on a morning and had to be jump started off wifey's car

I bought a $3 acid tester and checked each cell. The specific gravity in Number 4 cell was VERY bad

Went back to Autozone and told him and bought a new battery. He was still insisting the battery was fine so I told him he could have it personally and sell it to a "friend"

The new battery fixed the problem and the car has been 100% ever since..

You need a $3 battery acid tester - its my favorite tool... I used to use those back in the 60's but then we went all electronic didn't we. Sometimes the old methods are the best.
doesn't apply to hybrid aux battery, they are the sealed gel type, save that $3 for nearly a gallon of gas ;)

the proximity sensors on the car is alway alive, there must be a device nearby that interfered with it and keeps the circuit awake all the time draining the battery. left the key fob close to the car (say on top floor near the garage or floors adjacent) ?

just check for signs of corrosion and/or looseness on the terminals.

·
Registered
2014 Camry Hybrid XL
1,791 Posts
Jump Start stuff.. ((It appears, that you can Jump from it!))

I have two cars, this new Camry Hybrid and an older BMW. I did some work on the BMW. The battery went very low while it sat. I put a battery charger on it. it still was not charged after along while. I thought for a moment, and said hey, I wonder if I can jump the BMW (conventional, non-hybrid, from the Camry Hybrid.)

I changed the following statement: as it appears I was wrong about jumping car with jumper cable and batteries, involving the Hybrid.

Yes..., you can jump from the Hybrid to another car. I did read you can jump to the Hybrid from another car.

Note:
I do not want to nor will I try jumping to or from the Hybrid at all. I only had a moments thought, that I want a quick jump. Then I said, hell no, I am not going to mess with my new virgin Camry Hybrid and chance any damage at all!

So, before anyone does it, to or from, take note. I did read you can jump to it. But I never looked to see where the positive and negative posts are, if any. And, if anything goes wrong, it could be a very costly mistake.

Just an FYI

BTW,
I did get my BMW started after my battery charger was left on a couple hours longer. The discharge was my fault, as the car sat along time while repairs were being done. Also, I did not disconnect the battery while the work was in progress. The battery charger is new, but not the fastest. My other battery charger was from Harbor Freight , and it blew up not long ago. The newest one is from Walmart. But, hopefully, my new 2014 Camry Hybrid will never need help.

·
Registered
2012 TCH
201 Posts
I have two cars, this new Camry Hybrid and an older BMW. I did some work on the BMW. The battery went very low while it sat. I put a battery charger on it. it still was not charged after along while. I thought for a moment, and said hey, I wonder if I can jump the BMW (conventional, non-hybrid, from the Camry Hybrid.)

No, you cannot jump from the Hybrid to another car. I did read you can jump to the Hybrid from another car.
Yes you can jump start another car from the Hybrid. I have done it. Just make sure the TCH is on first. It's just a basic electrical circuit and people overthink this too much. No, you wouldn't want to be doing it 3 times a day, but it is fine for the occasional time when it is required. All that happens if you put too much load on it, is that the vehicle will fail to start and/or a fuse will blow. These are delicate things that need to be nursed through everything...

·
Registered
2014 Camry Hybrid XL
1,791 Posts
Yes you can jump start another car from the Hybrid. I have done it. Just make sure the TCH is on first. It's just a basic electrical circuit and people overthink this too much. No, you wouldn't want to be doing it 3 times a day, but it is fine for the occasional time when it is required. All that happens if you put too much load on it, is that the vehicle will fail to start and/or a fuse will blow. These are delicate things that need to be nursed through everything...
I want to do a correction and say you can jump it, but, from Hybrid to another car, but I don't feel comfortable saying it, I prefer giving a link out to an official stand on the subject. I just don't have such a link. I was only posting my findings, coupled with caution. I just don't feel like I should ever attempt it. Not because I don't understand the process, as I have done it too many times to count, with other cars (just never a hybrid circuit.) Again, I don't want to put out anything that is wrong, and that might cause anyone any problems.

Anyways, it is interesting, as most all of us have either had to jump someone, or get a jump at sometime in their life. if someone asks me to jump them, I will regretfully say no! I have had mostly good experiences jumping others, but I had one bad done that I still get pissed about many, many years later. It is not worth the chance of destroying my Hybrid, so I will just be a jerk and say I can't, if/when the time comes. Better being a jerk than a blown up idiot.
IMHO

·
Retired USN & Civil SVC
2011 Sonata Hybrid
22 Posts
I jumped my Santa Fe from my HSH once and jumped my HSH twice from my Santa Fe but it would not get charged enough to hold a charge the next day until I gave it an overnight charge.

·
6,500 Posts
Well, for starters, you can put TCH into a particular mode, when engine RPMS are not controlled by ECM, but by gas pedal. Lay English, you run RPMs with gas pedal as you wish.
But this does not change the point that engine is not charging the 12V battery anyway.
I'd say, it's a crap shot. As I jumped many cars, and some need just a gentle touch, and some require donor vehicle to step hard onto gas pedal and rev engine to give jumper cables quite a boost. THAT you can not control. So you may simply drain 12V.
Knowing this car and all the computers in it, and overall princess on a pea sensitivity to anything electrical - I'd rather refrain from jumping from TCH. Why? Anything goes wrong and it's mucho mucho dinero in repairs.
Btw, negative for jumps is any solid metal piece - engine, bolts mounted to the frame, and positive is a large copper bus inside fuse box.

·
Registered
2012 TCH
201 Posts
Anyways, it is interesting, as most all of us have either had to jump someone, or get a jump at sometime in their life. if someone asks me to jump them, I will regretfully say no! I have had mostly good experiences jumping others, but I had one bad done that I still get pissed about many, many years later. It is not worth the chance of destroying my Hybrid, so I will just be a jerk and say I can't, if/when the time comes. Better being a jerk than a blown up idiot.
IMHO
If you speak to Toyota, as some journos over in here in Aus have done, they will confirm it is absolutely fine to jump start another vehicle from the TCH. My dealer also confirmed it.

As I said, I have also done it myself.

It just isn't an issue.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Can I use my 08 TCH's 12V battery to jump start another car's battery?

Can I use my 08 TCH's 12V battery to jump start another car's battery? In this case the other car is 08 Sienna.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm curious why you can't? I was in our 09 TCH and jumped a guy in a Gmc Sierra that had left his lights on. Pretty straightforward.

·
6,500 Posts
Traction battery
12V battery in the trunk
Likely some other small back up batteries for all kinds of computers and devices it has. Just like your computer has a CMOS backup battery.
Why you can't jump off 12V? Because it's not charged off engine, even if engine is running. It's charged off traction battery. Because it's all monitored by who knows how many computers. Because you taking chance on draining yours - and why would you? Feeling lucky?

61 - 80 of 96 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.