Toyota Nation Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
2007 TCH owner
341 Posts
I'm curious why you can't? I was in our 09 TCH and jumped a guy in a Gmc Sierra that had left his lights on. Pretty straightforward.
first of all the aux battery is not designed for cranking and the cca (current needed to crank the vehicle during winter/cold) is very low. the car you jumpstarted probably has a battery that is not completely dead but just partially drained. Note that in conventional cars/trucks, jumpstarting won't work if the battery is completely dead or shorted unless you have a large booster battery such as in tow trucks and dealerships.

on prius owner's manual, they don't recommend jumpstarting another car unless you disconnect the aux battery and use that to charge the dead battery.

·
Registered
2012 TCH
201 Posts
N-O.

Making sure. It's a BIG NO. You can have YOUR battery jump started, and not even via 12 V in the trunk, but do NOT JS anyone else.
Yes you can. It will start it fine. I have done it on a bigger car than that. Jump starting off the hybrid is fine. Toyota even say that it is fine.

·
Registered
2012 TCH
201 Posts
I'm curious why you can't? I was in our 09 TCH and jumped a guy in a Gmc Sierra that had left his lights on. Pretty straightforward.
There is no reason you can't - because you can jumpstart off the hybrid. Absolutely no issues with it. Just make sure the car is turned on.

·
6,491 Posts
Sure. As anything else, DAYOR

Can a hybrid jump-start a NON-hybrid?

[ This was also posted under the Prius group, which is really the wrong place for it. ]

My family has three cars -- an 02 Prius, an 07 Camry Hybrid, and an 05 Honda CRV. Now the battery is weak on the CRV, and it won't start.

I've read (specifically in the jump-starting entry on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_start_(vehicle)) that a hybrid's secondary battery can't be used to jump-start a conventional vehicle, because the hybrid's 12-volt battery just is not designed to provide the surge of current that a starter requires. This seems technically reasonable to me (a software engineer w/o mechanical skills).

Prius manual

Prius manual clearly states that the Prius cannot be used to jump start another car.
S010 manual page 545-547.

No, at least my 07 Camry manual does not say that. But I'll stick to "don't try - don't hurt" principle.

Most people out of habit try to jump start other vehicles with the Prius, in emergency situations. Although some were able to get away with it (when jump starting vehicles with small engines), others have suffered immensely, both financially and time-wise as a result of this.

The Prius 12V auxilary battery which is used to initialize the Hybrid system and to power its accessories, is a Lead-acid AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) Deep-Cyle battery which is not designed to produce a large amount of current at once (which is drawn by most starter motors in conventional vehicles). Thus, attempting to jump start another vehicle with the Prius, would not only impose undue stress on the AGM battery but also burn a few main fuses which are not readily available in most auto parts stores. Please bare in mind that the Prius Deep-cycle battery is more expensive than the conventional sealed type lead-acid version. To make matters even worse, I have seen the dc-dc converter (located within the inverter unit which handles the 12v battery charging cycles) bust in some Prii (plural of Prius). If this happens, the entire inverter unit has to be replaces, which is quite costly.

https://m.facebook.com/notes/kaveens-auto-clinic-specialized-in-hybrids/tip-never-jump-start-another-vehicle-with-your-prius/449293831800222/

Like I said - out of habit or not - DAYOR
Jump-Starting a Car

And whoever wrote this has no idea how hybrids operate, as they simply do NOT idle for 15 minutes. It's ignorant bs.

• Using a hybrid to jump-start a vehicle is no different from using a regular car. Attach the positive or red lead to the positive terminal of the dead battery, and the other positive lead to the positive terminal of the good battery. Follow the same procedure for the negative leads. Let the vehicle idle, charging the dead battery. The dead battery should start after 15 minutes of charging.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/facts_6852414_can-car-jump_start-another-car_.html

·
2007 TCH owner
341 Posts

·
This Space For Rent
14,153 Posts
This has not occurred in this thread yet, but I'd like to put it out there that please do not resort to any name calling or personal attacks in any of these discussions, thanks.

·
Registered
2012 TCH
201 Posts
I'm looking for straight and simple answers, like the below;

https://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080904154014AAamRbb
A question was asked, I provided an answer. I have previously found out from the source what can be done.

I have more important things to do than provide an academic answer with sources. If I did that every time I provided an answer to technical questions I would be here and on other forums forever.

If you want to take answers from 'yahoo answers' then good luck to you. Personally I will use what I have learnt through engineering and from the technical information obtained from the manufacturer. I would strongly discourage the method advised in that link for a few reasons (it is rarely a good idea to leave jumper cables connected for longer than absolutely required).

If the method is to charge the dead battery - then buy a battery charger - do not use jumper cables to do it. There are risks to the electrical system in having batteries in parallel with significantly different voltages for too long, heat issues and voltage fluctuations. For a short period to simply start the car, this is not an issue.

There are even more complications if the other vehicle uses an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery like the camry does. They do not charge well from a low level of charge with a large influx of current and you may damage the battery - many motorcycle batteries have been destroyed through this.

Quite simply - if toyota thought it was an issue in this day and age - it would be highlighted in the manual specific to this car. A camry hyrbid is not a prius - thus it is not appropriate to take stuff out of the prius manual and apply it to the camry.

TL;DR - If you want evidence go and look for it yourself. I have done the research before and obtained an answer - I don't intend repeating the process.I am comfortable with the answer I have given and have personally jump started cars from my hybrid.

If you don't like my answer, then so be it. This has been discussed in detail previously.

·
Registered
18 Posts
After reading this thread, I thought I would share my experiences so far. I bought my TCH new in 2007, it is my main car and has provided me with trouble free transportation for 110,000 miles. Initially, I heeded the "do not jump start" advice. I did not want to take any chances with my new Baby.

I have owned up to 7 cars at one time, parked in as many as 3 different locations at once. I like to tinker with old cars, improve, then sell and move on to the next one. It's a pretty safe bet I do a lot more jumpstarting than most.

I have noticed that jumping from a conventional car is generally quicker, I have also discovered that jumping from the Camry works ok, but can take longer. To start my old Mercedes Diesels (not completely dead) I just have to wait for the Camry to charge up the Mercedes battery, which is 900 CCA, iirc. Between the glow plugs and the 23/1 compression ratio it takes a lot of juice to fire her up on a cold day. Through trial and error, i found out it takes time. I dont even try to fire up my old Mercedes Diesels till they've charged 20 min or more.

I have not noticed any ill effects from this. I'm still on the original 12V Panasonic.
Just recently I made the mistake of hooking up to the wrong terminals when attempting to retrieve an old Lexus from storage. BOY DID I FEEL STUPID! When I discovered I had blown out fuses/ fusible link in the Lexus, I went into a panic. I thought I'd probably damaged the Camry Hybrid as well.

It's been several days and a couple hundred miles so far, with no apparent damage to my Camry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2015 new Camry Hybrid has stranded me away from home 3 times in 20 days. I started it successfully 27 times (brilliant) and then apparently got brain dead for theother three tries as Toyota service said there is nothing wrong with my car. Of course it is "driver error." So why then does the whole dash light up and a print out says "check charging system?" I had to be jumped by Toyota to take the car back to the dealer on day 20 and ate $4000 on depreciation for a car that won't run!!!If their computer diagnostics can't find anything, why does that always mean "DRIVER ERROR?" Then the dumb service guy says, well you blew out the 12 volt sitting there for 2 1/2 hours. If the twelve volt doesn't start the car, how is that relevant? I thought the electric hybrid motor started the car.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Then the dumb service guy says, well you blew out the 12 volt sitting there for 2 1/2 hours. If the twelve volt doesn't start the car, how is that relevant? I thought the electric hybrid motor started the car.
If you are sitting with just the accessories turned on, I assume you could drain the 12 volt battery enough. However, it is a deep cycle battery, so you wouldn't damage the battery like you would on a regular car. If the car started after a 12 volt jump, then the problem was you had a dead 12 volt battery.
That either means you somehow managed to drain it, or you have a bad battery.

If you are sitting in the car waiting for someone, just leave the car running. As long as the Hybrid battery has a charge the ICE will be off, not using any gas, and the 12 volt battery will charge off the Hybrid battery. If the Hybrid battery gets low, then the ICE will start and charge the Hybrid battery.
You can sit for hours, without worrying about the battery draining, as long as you have gas in the tank, and the ICE won't be running most the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was sitting in the car but it was dead except for dash lights and fan. I just gassed up and went into the min mart with car locked. When I tried to restart, no go. This was the third time, same scenario. I can get somewhere but then I can't get home. I drained the 12 volt this time by sitting in car and trying to start it maybe 25 times in that 2 1/2 hrs., fan on as AZ is HOT. So, yes, I drained the 12 volt while sitting there for 2 1/2 hrs AFTER the car didn't start. Thoughts? MD

·
Registered
5 Posts
2012 Camry Hybrid 12V battery story

Hi boys and girls. This is a story about my local stealer , oops I mean dealership and their service dept/parts dept. My 2012 Hybrid sat in the garage unstarted for about 3 months (my bad). When I tried to start it up, i got zip,zero,nada. I jump started it and drove it around for about 45 minutes at highway speeds. I took it to a local auto parts store for a battery load check and it failed. So The wife says replace it with an OEM, get that GREAT Toyota warranty. I said I could get a cheaper Exide but she said no, her car. So I call and prepay/preorder the 12v battery, they won't order it otherwise.( insert sarcasm).I go in and wait 3 HOURS to get the battery changed (all the blind chimpanzees must have been out sick) by a lotboy. I pay $269, special price, today only for best customer, + $ install fee. Service writer says "normally" we don't charge for battery install but yours is in the trunk. It requires our highest trained chimpanzee to do the work. I leave and get home and decide to check out my new battery and guess what my OEM battery is a Panasonic S55D23R. a 24 month warranty battery. The original battery was an S65D23R, a higher CCA/Ah battery but since these cars don't need all that extra we (Panasonic/Toyota) will charge the same money for a smaller battery. And they wonder why people quit going to the dealer. If the picture gets attached, you'll notice the vent tube on the right and no temp sensor, don't know what he did with that.

Attachments

·
6,491 Posts
I understand the sarcasm but be polite. Please. Let's leave calling people apes to less civilized parts of the world.
Go back to dealer and tell them to have thermistor installed. It's no rocket science, it simply glues itself to the battery plastic top. It's STICKY.
The OEM Panasonic - great battery, by the way - may be discontinued by now but indeed, you need very little to none CC but A LOT of storage capacity. I would not be worried.

·
6,491 Posts
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/105-camry-hybrid/418233-how-jump-start-dead-12v-battery.html

Please be fully aware that 12V is NOT engine starting battery. It only restores power to computers and some electronics.

Here's example of what can happen - unfortunately - when 12V is not handled with caution.

Major issue with 2008 Highlander hybrid limited help? Anyone? Please?
Hello, I love forums like these especially with people who take time out of their day to help other with lack of knowledge. I own a 2008 Toyota Highlander hybrid limited. And I'm having starting issue. It's my wives car so I only drive it on the weekends. But yesterday while I was at work my wife informed me it wouldn't start and that my younger daughter had turned on inside rear dome light so my wife stepped out of car and I called my dad to take a look at it. He hooked up the 12v batter which is located towards passenger side under hood and hooked up jumped cables he informed me when he did the horn honked continually...like a long honk, he ended up disconnecting battery and charging it....I got home late and took it off charger. The next day I hooked it up went to start it and got the following messages on dash....these are in order....a brake in red letters followed by brake malfunction stop vehicle In safe place and immediately contact dealer. Then check hybrid system followed by same stop vehicle contact dealership, then abs check abs by dealer. Then check break system have vehicle checked by dealer, then check srs airbag system have vehicle checked by dealer. Then check tire pressure system, have vehicle checked by dealer, and the push to start is orange red not green.
The power seats do not work, the radio does not power on or work, the automatic trunk won't open, the temperature or heat does not work, but the dash has power and indicator lights. I checked all fuses, they are fine, bought a new 12v battery same issues...I don't understand what could be going on?

·
6,491 Posts
Hi all.
12V jumping is extensively discussed in previous threads.
Procedure is same across any Toyota hybrid.
It is same across any model and year.
There is nothing to add or subtract to and from it.
Improper 12V battery handling may result in rather expensive repairs. There is lately Highlander Hybrid owner who messed with 12V and ended just there.

With that in mind, your opinions and desire to contribute is appreciated but - safety first. Should you be sure you have some new constructive development in this process - PM me and I'll gladly ad it to the topic.
Otherwise, topic is closed as exhausted.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.