Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
OK, this looks like as good a place as any to broach this topic: I'm a bit concerned about the 12V battery that came in my 2012 TCH. The voltage, measured at the battery terminals by a digital voltmeter I trust typically shows between 12.3 and 12.4 volts after 48 hours of non-use. My car is a daily driver, and will probably have no longer down time until I vacation in June, but I'm worried that the battery will be flat when I return. I intend to bring it up with the dealer when I go in for my 5000 mi service, but I suspect that sans any incident of an actual problem, they will probably just say it is normal.

Is it? I suspect not, but anyone else (thanks for posting your figures, Ron) measure the voltages after a period of inactivity and see anything close to mine? Anyone have any suggestions for what else I should do for corroborative evidence? What is the new car warranty on the 12V battery anyway? (3 yr / 36k mi?)

BTW, does anyone know the low-end voltage the TCH can tolerate and still start?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Restamp, I think you will be fine down to 12 volts, because the 12 volt battery only powers up electronics and a few lights. See page 478 of your manual. It says 12.2 to 12.4 volts 20 minutes after shutting down indicates 50% capacity. You may want to check at 20 minutes to see if you have any cause to tell the dealer there is a problem. In any case if you have the 20 minute number you can at least have the discussion with them.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Replacement battery

I see from RockAuto's catalog that they now carry remanufactured batteries for the early Prius. Under $1500 with shipping so the fears of $3,000 batteries may be unfounded. Not included is the $1080 core charge and since shipping of the remanufactured unit was just over $200, roughly that same amount needs to be factored in to return the core.
Of course, to have a remanufactured battery, the rebuilder needs cores so for the Camry, that may be a while off.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Remanufactured hybrid traction batteries would seem to be a real pig in a poke purchase. If the battery you get is say 3-5 years old, and had one cell go bad, and it is replaced with another good used cell, then perhaps you have something. But, if the battery is 10 years old, and one or two cells go bad, then what do you have when they replace those one or two cells? A 10 year old battery, and no idea when the next one or two cells will die. The cells in a TCH are all connected in series, like the old Christmas tree lights. One goes, or in the case of a battery goes weak, the whole battery goes.

Seems to me that putting a remanufactured battery into a hybrid is a step you do to get it ready to be traded in or sold. If I planned to keep the car for a much longer time, I think I would try and find a good original complete battery from an auto wrecker that I know the age of, or bite the bullet and buy a new one from Toyota.

·
Registered
368 Posts
But $1500 shipping on Ebay, even though their website says free shipping in some places, $250 in others. And, left unstated is whether this price includes the return charges for the old traction battery.

And I note that the warranty (36 mo, unlimited mileage, in some places; 24 months in another in the Ebay listing, and 18 mo on their website, but in any event invoking it comes with a $250 shipping charge.) lends credence to Ron's conjecture that the the traction battery's lifetime is more related to physical age than usage.

It's possible it might be a viable option, but there are certainly lots of questions.

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Kenundrum
anthing
4 Posts
Hybrid Battery Dies - Did this happen to you too?

My 2007 Camry Hybrid battery died at 102.5K miles. Toyota says this is unusual, but does not replace it.....warranty was over at 100K. Has this happened to anyone else?

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
9,213 Posts
if its the hybrid battery...your 2.5k out and they wont goodwill cover it??? wow

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid
1,442 Posts
My 2007 Camry Hybrid battery died at 102.5K miles. Toyota says this is unusual, but does not replace it.....warranty was over at 100K. Has this happened to anyone else?
My guess is that the dealer diagnosed the problem to be a failed hybrid battery. That's sure rare for a '07 TCH hybrid battery to fail completely with only 102.5K on the TCH.

I wonder if they even checked the hybrid battery's heavy amp fuse. Even though your instrument panel readout may say, 'Check Hybrid Battery' don't mean it's bad.

I would ask the service department the certified hybrid tech's name. Usually you can call and ask for him by name and maybe ask some details about the battery test he did and if the hybrid battery has a fuse.

If the toyota dealer worked on testing it, I would sure want to know what testing that was done. If it's not in writing I would call the toyota customer service and ask for help in this matter about possible help getting a replacement battery.

Another would be to call the dealer and set up a appointment to speak to the owner. Who knows he may help you out to keep you as one of his customers. I have bought 3 toyota's from our local dealer in the last 10 years and I would sure expect them to help me in a matter like your having.

One would think that Toyota would split the cost of a new replacement battery just to keep a toyota owner happy. This is how good companies keep their customers to buy future cars.

As another mentioned if your 12 volt battery in the trunk is down, the headlights should not work when the power button is pressed to power on. The car won't start and will act as if the hybrid battery is dead.

When you press the brake the power button you should show a green led light which may indicates the 12 volt battery is working and pressing it should start the car.

This is if you have your keyfob on your person and it's battery is good. If it's questionable try your other keyfob that came with the TCH.

I will be looking forward to your update..

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a standard battery fail on an '05 Corolla with 36,200 mies on it. Car was 2.5 years old. Took the car to a Toyota dealer who said sorry, car is out of warranty and proceeded to charged me full price for the new battery. A call to customer relations at Toyota yielded better results. They reimbursed me for the full price of the battery and service.
Move paid off for Toyota - last year I replaced that Corolla with a new TCH XLE with all the trimmings.

·
6,500 Posts
1. ARE YOU IN CAFE STATE AND WAS YOUR CAR ORIGINALLY BOUGHT IN IT AND LICENSED THERE? As then you have 150 000 miles warranty of all hybrid components.
2. Those batteries do not just die. They are a pack of batteries and "a" battery usually goes bad. That is said to be easily diagnosed and a bad sub-battery in pack can be easily replaced. Your dealer is doing lousy job and pulling for a quicky on you. Simply look at that battery as a bunch of AA ones. You do not really replace entire battery if say 2 of those AAs are bad, right, mate?

·
ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
09 Avalon XL
826 Posts
Another common problem is the bus bars that connect one battery to the next get corroded. All you need is one half of the bus bar to be corroded to cause voltage drop, since these are wired in series. As ukrkos said, individual batteries can be replaced. There are companies I read about in trade magazines like Motor Age and Motor that spotlight companies that repair/rebuild hybrid batteries, and they end up coming back to you better than new since some improvements have been made. Each individual battery is tested and replaced if needed. New bus bars are installed too.

I am no expert on hybrid vehicles. I know what I have read. Other than replacing an electric water pump on a Prius, the only work I have ever done to a hybrid has been routine maintenance.

·
Kenundrum
anthing
4 Posts
Thanks for all your comments and replies. Here are some more details......

The high voltage battery died, not the 12V.

Before I brought it in to the dealer I read following codes 'POA80: Replace Hybrid Battery Pack' , 'C1259: ABS Hybrid System Control System Regenerative Malfunction' and 'C1320: Hybrid System Malfunction'.

Russel Toyota reported the POA80 code only. They gave no other details.

I am in Maryland, and Toyota stated the warranty was good to 100K miles only, not 150K.

61 - 80 of 198 Posts