Toyota Nation Forum banner

81 - 100 of 198 Posts

·
2007 TCH owner
341 Posts
You could probably try other Toyota dealership and talk to them about the warranty issue, it seems that extra 2.5k might be ok for them to consider. Did it just show the problem suddenly without any warning? such as not showing 7 bars all the time or inconsistent charging status.

·
6,481 Posts
you mean CARB states?

It's wishful thinking that a dealer will just replace 1 cell or more for the HV battery. They'd rather slap in a new unit rather than spend all the labor figuring out what cell is bad. Fixing the bad cell is what re-manufacturers do.
Yes, you right. So many darn acronyms around, keep confusing them. Thank you.

·
6,481 Posts
I am in Maryland, and Toyota stated the warranty was good to 100K miles only, not 150K.

Yep, no luck there:

Connecticut
Oregon
Washington
Rhode Island
New York
Maine
Massachusetts
Pennsylvania
New Mexico
Florida

http://redgreenandblue.org/2009/04/03/carb-states-to-dictate-tailpipe-ghg-emissions-for-nationits-a-good-thing/

I still don't get, why you so easily succumb to what they tell you, instead of making them locate bad cells in that battery - and yes, we get it, it's traction battery - and replace that/those cell/-s only.

·
6,481 Posts
For adventures ones:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/diy-solutions-honda-hybrid-battery-problems-insight-civic-13610.html

I know it's Honda, but it sounds like very similar NiMeHi battery pack.

And this:

Eric Sumpter, owner of Mile Hybrid, said he's seeing hybrids that need new packs as early as 70,000 miles or as late as 200,000 miles. Toyota said even 300,000 or 400,000 miles on one set of batteries is possible, depending on how the vehicle is driven—that's the all-important factor.
Mile Hybrid sells Civic packs for $2,200 and charges $200 labor for installation. "We think our units offer better power handling characteristics," Mr. Sumpter said, "and some owners report better fuel economy, although we don't guarantee that."
For a refurbished Prius pack that fits 2000 to 2003 cars, Mile Hybrid charges $1,400 and $1,500 for the second generation (2004 to 2010). They're usually sent via truck freight to local garages. Some buyers opt to install the packs themselves, though Mr. Sumpter pointed out that there are some safety concerns and shock hazards.
It's possible to find individual battery cells for sale on the Internet, which can seem like a low-cost way of getting back on the road. But experts say that hybrid cells need to be balanced properly with professional equipment. Skipping that step can lead to overcharged cells and a hydrogen fire, which is very dangerous.
Another hybrid-battery supplier is Re-Involt Technologies in Sanford, N.C. According to Cliff Deming, a service writer there, remanufactured first- or second-generation Prius packs are $1,875 with an 18-month unlimited-mileage warranty. Packs for the Honda Civic hybrid and first-generation Insight are $2,595 from Re-Involt, with a three-year warranty.
Yet another alternative is buying a used battery via eBay or other suppliers—with some replacement Prius batteries available in junkyards for less than $600. But, of course, caveat emptor applies: There's no way to know how long batteries sourced that way will last.

·
Kenundrum
anthing
4 Posts
I still don't get, why you so easily succumb to what they tell you, instead of making them locate bad cells in that battery - and yes, we get it, it's traction battery - and replace that/those cell/-s only.
I was looking to see what Toyota would tell me, and what they would do.
I am still negotiating.....

Toyota offers me $2000 for customer 'Goodwill'. That goodwill is really only $177 !

Toyota quoted me a new HV Battery for $4108, and installation for $797 (7.5hours). Toyota wholesales the battery for $2832, and others (Greentec) installs it for $250 (2.5 hours). Where is the goodwill in that meager offer?

·
6,481 Posts
None. Toyota dropped battery cost for Prius almost a half, to $2297. That's why I sent you some info on alternative ways.
Battery swap is really not that hard, actually. You can buy refurbished or used one and have someone drop it in for you.
Once again, best route is finding someone who can spot bad cells and swap them out. Or, contact folks I mentioned in article I posted, in CO and NC.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep, no luck there:

Connecticut
Oregon
Washington
Rhode Island
New York
Maine
Massachusetts
Pennsylvania
New Mexico
Florida

http://redgreenandblue.org/2009/04/03/carb-states-to-dictate-tailpipe-ghg-emissions-for-nationits-a-good-thing/

Actually, Maryland is now one of the CARB states.

The 13 states adopting the California Clean Car standards are Arizona, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/epa-approves-california-emission-standard-8312.html

Edit to add.: that Maryland has been a CARB state, since 2007, taking effect in Model Year 2011. So prior model years (2010 and before) aren't covered.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I was looking to see what Toyota would tell me, and what they would do.
I am still negotiating.....

Toyota offers me $2000 for customer 'Goodwill'. That goodwill is really only $177 !

Toyota quoted me a new HV Battery for $4108, and installation for $797 (7.5hours). Toyota wholesales the battery for $2832, and others (Greentec) installs it for $250 (2.5 hours). Where is the goodwill in that meager offer?
I would ask to speak to a higher Manager and yet higher with this same question. You might also mention, other Toyota Hybrid owners online that you interact with are fully expecting Toyota being a customer-oriented company to pickup the full cost of replacement in this case, considering you are barely out of warranty. FWIW, one of my friends had a HV battery failure at 101K miles in his Prius and Toyota picked up the entire cost of the battery + labor.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
203 Posts
1. ARE YOU IN CAFE STATE AND WAS YOUR CAR ORIGINALLY BOUGHT IN IT AND LICENSED THERE? As then you have 150 000 miles warranty of all hybrid components.
This is true (assuming you mean CA emissions, not Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency), but I think the OP is in Maryland which only joined starting with the 2011 model year - too late for the OP's 2007.

2. Those batteries do not just die. They are a pack of batteries and "a" battery usually goes bad. That is said to be easily diagnosed and a bad sub-battery in pack can be easily replaced. Your dealer is doing lousy job and pulling for a quicky on you. Simply look at that battery as a bunch of AA ones. You do not really replace entire battery if say 2 of those AAs are bad, right, mate?
You have your definitions of battery and cell exactly reversed. And no the dealer isn't doing anything dishonest here, the battery *is* replaced as a unit just as they would replace a brake caliper if only the square cut seal is leaking or say a starter motor or alternator if only a brush is worn out.

bat·ter·y [bat-uh-ree]
noun, plural bat·ter·ies.
1. Electricity: Also called galvanic battery, voltaic battery. a combination of two or more cells electrically connected to work together to produce electric energy.
2. any large group or series of related things: a battery of questions.
3 Military: two or more pieces of artillery used for combined action.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is true (assuming you mean CA emissions, not Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency), but I think the OP is in Maryland which only joined starting with the 2011 model year - too late for the OP's 2007.

You have your definitions of battery and cell exactly reversed. And no the dealer isn't doing anything dishonest here, the battery *is* replaced as a unit just as they would replace a brake caliper if only the square cut seal is leaking or say a starter motor or alternator if only a brush is worn out.

bat·ter·y [bat-uh-ree]
noun, plural bat·ter·ies.
1. Electricity: Also called galvanic battery, voltaic battery. a combination of two or more cells electrically connected to work together to produce electric energy.
2. any large group or series of related things: a battery of questions.
3 Military: two or more pieces of artillery used for combined action.
Yes they just wouldn't want to give a warranty on the changing of a pak or two out of the group.
Its a complete unit and sold as that way.
And you never know you could change out just a part or two of the group and have another failure in a short time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Need suggestions.My '07 130k battery replacement $4,500

Bought my '07 hybrid just 3 months ago, and has been great....until the hybrid error comes up. Taking it to the dealership, they just informed me that I need a new battery for $4,500 , ouch. I dont have the ability to pay that, what can I do?

Vehicle has 130k on it, and while I know things can break on cars, this is very disappointing, akin to an engine going out with this amount of miles. Its over the 100K warranty period, and Texas doesn't have the California laws on emissions that extend that. So my questions:

1)Will it hurt it to drive basically as a gas vehicle for a while
2) Do dealerships typically take off the "core cost" on my quoted price?
3) Is there any way to talk to someone higher up in Toyota to get this price down?

Thanks everyone in advance

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
9,213 Posts
Ouch is right. I'll let the experts weigh in here, but just want to say I feel for you.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
The quoted price seems high compared to what it reported in this article. Have they subtracted the core credit? How much is labor? This article suggests 1.7 hours of labor.

Then there is the murky world of used batteries. I wouldn't be afraid to try a battery from a credible auto wrecker providing it is not rebuilt. Buying something rebuilt is a bit of a pig in a poke.

·
Registered
2013 TCH LE
208 Posts
1)Will it hurt it to drive basically as a gas vehicle for a while
This can't be done on a TCH as the main electric motor is directly connected to the wheels so it's always involved in making the car move; which is not necessarily true with the gas engine.

I wonder how much actually still works once the traction battery is dead. I'm guessing not much.

I've heard the individual faulty cells could be replaced so you don't have to replace the whole thing. I also think that you should shop around, $4500 seems a bit high.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This can't be done on a TCH as the main electric motor is directly connected to the wheels so it's always involved in making the car move; which is not necessarily true with the gas engine.

I wonder how much actually still works once the traction battery is dead. I'm guessing not much.

I've heard the individual faulty cells could be replaced so you don't have to replace the whole thing. I also think that you should shop around, $4500 seems a bit high.
Thanks for the responses from everyone. I actually drove it for a few days (probably around 30 miles) after the hybrid system wasn't working. Other then the initial acceleration being sluggish from a stop there wasn't much difference (other than the obvious). My cruise control also stopped, they said it was something else unrelated, which I find is an extremely unlikely coincidence.

I've checked that website ( http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1078138_toyota-hybrid-battery-replacement-cost-guide) some referenced, and my quote seems a bit high. Looked at a few refurb places, and will have to check into them more. There is a guy in Dallas (I'm in Austin) that will get one set up for $1200 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/291117723090) but am a little skeptical.

I called Toyota service and logged a complaint/asked what they can do for me. He was fairly helpful, asked what I would like them to do, I told them to help with a large offset of the cost, or all of it if they are feeling generous, haha. Very disappointing that such a key component would go out with relatively low miles. He is going to get back to me on Monday.

·
6,481 Posts
Are you in CARB state? In CARB states you have 150 000 miles warranty on hybrid system, IF the car was originally licensed and sold to you in CARB state.
Also, vist Greenhybrid. Battery replacements wete discussed there in depth, you may find helpful info. Many went refurbished route, it's reliable, but time taking. I think, they actually make traction battery better than factory one.
Also, good technician can scope which cells in battery are bad, it does not go bad ENTIRELY, and they can be replaced. Dealer simply does not want to hassle with this.

81 - 100 of 198 Posts