Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Avalon Hybrid XLE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get over how good of mileage we're getting on our XLE model. It keeps getting better each tank full. When first purchased vehicle, took it on long road trip and got 45mpg mostly highway driving. Now that we are back home and driving approximately 60/40 (city/hwy) we are averaging 54 mpg. We are not using ECO mode and don't really use Sport mode unless we need to (plenty of pickup when needed!). Have over 9000 miles now and absolutely think this is the best car we've ever had and keeps getting better. Just wondering others driving experiences and MPG.

·
Registered
2019 Avalon XSE Hybr
6 Posts
I don't have enough miles to provide a solid MPG average since I've only filled up once since picking up my new '19 XSE Hybrid. I'm pretty happy so far considering tank #2 has yielded over 500 miles with over 100 miles to go until empty. I expect I'll average at least 45mpg over the long haul.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My mileage started out around 45-46, but had declined a bit. I am holding steady at 43.5 for the first 4,000 miles. I drive in normal mode mostly. On long trips I switch to eco and usually average close to 50mpg.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Question for all: Where is the best place to see your specific mileage on a trip and overall? StillLine's screen is a bit of a guess for each trip but does show overall mileage.

·
TableRocked
184 Posts
I'm almost to 3k miles on mine and it appears to vary from 43.2 to 48.6 MPG per tank - I drive like a snail and am not in a hurry to leave my cocoon of comfort..... I'm thrilled beyond belief with my Avalon to date... only thing I wish it had:

• Auto/Manual power folding side mirrors
  • Avalon puddle lamps
  • Panoramic size sunroof
  • Power open/close rear trunk
  • Auto rain sensing wipers
  • Stronger lane keep assist and lane centering like the 2019 Rav 4's I've rented
  • The next step up in interior leather quality
  • Higher/multiple heat settings for the steering wheel with full heating coverage of the steering wheel
  • Partial real wood steering wheel matching the Yamaha wood already in the vehicle
  • A bit more noise diminishing materials
  • An OEM stainless rear bumper garnish/protector like my wife's Highlander instead of the cheezy and flimsy decal.
  • More powerful cooled seats, by at least 1 step up and 1 step up heat setting on all 4 seats
  • Wireless Apple Carplay so I could get rid of the cords and put my phone on the wireless charger and use AppleCarplay
All that said, what a bargain this car is for what it has. I wasn't even tempted to go with it's Lexus twin as the fold down and heated rear seats was a must, and the out the door price of under $37k with all possible OEM accessories included/installed was well below where I could get Lexus to go.

·
Registered
51 Posts
All that said, what a bargain this car is for what it has.
The more I'm reading and learning on this forum, the more I'm coming to the same conclusion (and I'm not even an owner...yet...thinking I probably will be): this car offers so much for the price tag, with some great features (and excellent reviews as well). I've been looking at lots of different brands and models over the past year, and it just seems you could pay 50% more and not get any more than what the Avalon offers.

·
TableRocked
184 Posts
Was reading a Forbes article on the longest lasting cars and the Avalon was rated #1.... lasts a long time, and every mechanic I’ve talked to says they are bulletproof and they’ve seen 350k miles plus on many of these same transmissions, battery packs, engines.... oil, tires, fluid changes, filters, and brake shoes around 150k to 200k miles.... I’ll be doing transmission fluid every 30k miles, coolant and brake fluid every 3 years.... Id like my next car to be a hearse ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is a good thing since, obviously, we tend to keep cars a LONG time!!! LOL about the hearse...AND...if the ride is a bit stiff or bumpy, you really won't mind it... :0)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have owned my avalon limited hybrid for over 7 months now. I am finding that in the winter (pennsylvania), the mileage dropped again down to 41.5 mpg. Anyone else see a drop in the winter?

This makes sense, given the engine starts immediately to warm up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
For those who own these cars, how do you find the traction in winter driving? We are rural with lots of backroads that get snow / ice. If conditions are bad, we generally use our Jeep, but often wind up having to use both vehicles. The Buick is front-wheel drive and does quite well - assuming the Avalon is also pretty good?

·
Registered
8 Posts
For those who own these cars, how do you find the traction in winter driving? We are rural with lots of backroads that get snow / ice. If conditions are bad, we generally use our Jeep, but often wind up having to use both vehicles. The Buick is front-wheel drive and does quite well - assuming the Avalon is also pretty good?
The winter traction is terrible. The energy efficient tires are by their nature hard, which makes them bad in the snow. Even in eco mode, the traction control was unable to get me up a steep hill. I am considering snow tires. Any one else put on snow tires? How are they working? Did you go down a size in wheels? I was thinking of going with 17s

·
Registered
51 Posts
The winter traction is terrible.
Oooh...this is a major disadvantage for where we live. Most disappointing. May have to look at other cars then. We live on top of a reasonably "steep hill". The local township does not always do the best job at clearing the roads either (or cutting the weeds along the bank during the summer for that matter :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oooh...this is a major disadvantage for where we live. Most disappointing. May have to look at other cars then. We live on top of a reasonably "steep hill". The local township does not always do the best job at clearing the roads either (or cutting the weeds along the bank during the summer for that matter :(
Don't give up yet. I am sure that with snow tires the avalon will perform like any other car. I have started a thread with that question so check in there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have no doubt, but, I'm not changing tires around on ANY car. That's too much like going back to the days of having studs put in. May have to look at AWD instead - probably better anyway for where we live.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am finding that in the winter (pennsylvania), the mileage dropped again down to 41.5 mpg. Anyone else see a drop in the winter?
I got my vehicle last month, in NY winter averaging 42 with gentle driving.

Avalon AWD coming, I'm assuming it'll be available in hybrid. The best value though will be the upcoming RAV4 Prime if you qualify for the Federal tax credit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
So might be worth it to wait till the AWD comes along...wonder how long it'll be though. Then again, if I wait long enough, there might be a better number of charging stations and then I can go EV. Then again, if I wait even longer and just keep driving the Buick till I'm no longer driving at all.....;0]

·
Registered
88 Posts
So might be worth it to wait till the AWD comes along...wonder how long it'll be though. Then again, if I wait long enough, there might be a better number of charging stations and then I can go EV. Then again, if I wait even longer and just keep driving the Buick till I'm no longer driving at all.....;0]
Do you really need awd - I mean, did you get stuck often with the Riviera? Fwd with traction control is usually good enough for most in the rust belt...

·
Registered
51 Posts
You got a point....as I think I mentioned in one of the posts - the Buick has actually done quite well over the years with, as you say, the traction control which often engages (with a rather annoying warning sound :). What got me going here a bit is avalonlimitedpa's post indicating that the traction is "terrible" due to the "energy efficient tires" being too hard and also his saying about not being "able to get up a steep hill" even with traction control. We live at the top of one of those fairly steep hills.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You got a point....as I think I mentioned in one of the posts - the Buick has actually done quite well over the years with, as you say, the traction control which often engages (with a rather annoying warning sound :). What got me going here a bit is avalonlimitedpa's post indicating that the traction is "terrible" due to the "energy efficient tires" being too hard and also his saying about not being "able to get up a steep hill" even with traction control. We live at the top of one of those fairly steep hills.
If your Riviera can do it, I'd be very surprised if the Avalon can't, even with energy tires.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts