Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the garage and had my car in gear (w/parking brake on). Everything is all lit up, power steering is on. I accidentally press the power button (no foot on brake...anyway this is not require to shutdown vehicle, only to start it) and the vehicle and power steering shutoff.

I thought to myself: gee, this could be REALLY dangerous if you were on the highway (boy and what if it is at high speed and going around a curve) and somehow hit the power button. To restart it you have to put foot on brake, shift to park (or neutral...haven't tried this) and press button, all the while the vehicle is moving and there is no power steering, and...is there power brakes at this point???

In a vehicle with a key, you cannot turn the key all the way off without depressing the brake, and it is much harder to accidentally turn a key than bump a button.

(I'm going to copy this in the hybrid forum because it is not strictly related to +08.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think the chance of hitting the button on highway is Very small.. I too have thought about what would happen if someone was to hit the button at high speed but I know I will not be the first to try this..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pressing the button by mistake

I think the chance of hitting the button on highway is Very small.. I too have thought about what would happen if someone was to hit the button at high speed but I know I will not be the first to try this..
I once pressed the On/Off button by mistake when I meant to press the A/C button. Fortunately I was stopped there waiting for a red light. Really scared. Couldn't imagine what would happen if I was moving on highway. Since then, I've been extra careful when trying to press any button while driving the vehicle.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guarantee if someone ever gets harmed this way they will sue Toyota and win. I will bring this up to the Toyota dealer when I take my vehicle in next week. That button should be inactive if the vehicle is moving. Period. There is absolutely no reason that button needs to work when the vehicle is moving. It is just asking for trouble.

I was an engineer at a US car company years ago and this same logic went into disabling various systems (the trunk release was one) when the vehicle shifter (PRNDL) was not in park or neutral.

I will tell you...take it or let it alone: People get distracted, people suffer temporary confusion and activate wrong controls all the time! They hit accelerators when they meant to hit breaks, they shift into drive instead of reverse, they hit manual seat adjustments that send the seat flying backwards away from the steering wheel while they are driving...sometimes their feet don't reach the peddles anymore and they pull on the steering wheel to pull themselves to the edge of the seats then readjust them, etc. THIS POWER BUTTON COULD KILL YOU IF IT IN FACT WORKS WHILE THE VEHICLE IS MOVING.

Just as an aside, the vehicle knows when there is something in the passenger in the seat and it could allow navigation controls. If someone fakes the system by putting something over 50 lbs in the seat AND they fasten the safety belt, in the event of a case they would have to prove that the nav presented an unsafe situation for the driver even though they over-rided the safeguards...not likely.

-Jason.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
Why not just call your local service center and ask the question? Seems to me Toyota would have thought about this issue for moving vehicles and put in a failsafe of sorts. Call and ask.

·
5 Posts
Of course this got me wondering... so I pushed my power button while driving. Twice. Nothing happened. I'll admit I pushed it as quick as I could and I was only driving about 5 mph at the time.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'll find an empty parking lot and try this out.

I am sure the steering still works without power assist - same as if a gas engine stalled. I bet the brakes have all kinds of safeties built in too so that they work. Same sorts of safeties happens if a gas engine stalls at high speed, no power assist on the brakes or steering but you certainly can control the car. The steering wheel should not lock up unless it is in park.

If it does not work this way I bet there will be either a mass recall or a class action law suit coming. This is America after all where we still have the right to sue - so far. I can't imagine the same F'n Toyota lawyers that locked the Nanny Nav would not have caught this.

·
Registered
303 Posts
OK we can put this to rest. I went out and tried this and my 09 HH would not let me shut down the car by pressing the start switch while the truck was in Drive and moving.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
OK we can put this to rest. I went out and tried this and my 09 HH would not let me shut down the car by pressing the start switch while the truck was in Drive and moving.
Figured there would be a failsafe......too much potential for lawsuits if there weren't....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts