·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proposals to 'Buy American' cause fear in Japan

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Bryce G. Hoffman / The Detroit News
Tokyo

The Japanese government is willing to turn a blind eye to the U.S. government's efforts to save General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC, but "Buy American" programs being proposed by some in Congress are causing anxiety here.

Officials object to proposals for a government-funded scrappage program that would encourage Americans to replace their old clunkers with new cars and trucks if those incentives are limited to vehicles built in the United States.

"Protectionism is our biggest concern," said Akira Matsunaga, director of the powerful Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry's automobile division. "If such regulations pass Congress, we can't survive. We are hoping it will not come to that. If it does, we may have to say something."

He said such moves could trigger a global trade war, adding that protectionism helped lay the foundation for World War II.

U.S. Rep. Candice Miller, R-Harrison Township, co-sponsored a bill last month with two Democratic colleagues that would give U.S. consumers as much as $7,500 to turn in their older models for new vehicles -- but only if they are manufactured in North America.

"Americans cannot be expected to use their tax dollars to incent purchasing foreign cars," she told The Detroit News. "However, we would welcome them to build a plant in North America so their product would qualify for vouchers under our plan. We don't want a trade war, we just want to stimulate our economy."

Japanese automakers say they have invested plenty in U.S. factories over the past two decades.

"It's alarming for the whole world," said Toshihiro Iwatake, executive director of the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association Inc., or JAMA. "Protectionism will halt the free flow of products."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090409/AUTO01/904090384

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
Yeah! I don't see the big deal?

Even if they gave the incentive? I would still buy a Toytota.
If the US automakers want to have a strong future? They really need to improve their quailty control.
The design of a Chevy or GM truck is far superior to any other full size on the market. iMHO
But the quality in how it is put together is piss poor!
It's the poor workmanship that is what is killing the US automakers.
Unless they improve that area? All the incentives in the world won't help!
It will just prolong the inevetable.:disappoin

·
Every road's a playground
2000 camry ce
1,338 Posts
Even if they gave the incentive? I would still buy a Toytota.
If the US automakers want to have a strong future? They really need to improve their quailty control.
The design of a Chevy or GM truck is far superior to any other full size on the market. iMHO
It will just prolong the inevetable.
i completely agree. if they want to protect the "american" brands from foreign companies i say pass this bill because they are in for a big surprise.

·
07 Tundra DC 5.7 4WD TRD
406 Posts
Yeah, and back up the time allowance so I can write off taxes on my Indiana built 2007 Tundra and 2009 Canadian Corolla! Spread me some wealth!

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It will just prolong the inevetable.:disappoin
Oh Really? I disagree and will compare the build quality of my GM truck against it's Toyota counterpart ANY day.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I dunno, I think you're lying if you say $7,000 wouldn't sway your decision, especially given that Toyota, Hyundai, and Honda tend not to deal as much as other makes due to their better financial situation. That said, if I could get $7,000 for my new Corolla, we would trade it in a heart beat, so there is no way it's that easy LOL

Also, let's ignore the fact that this would never work money wise, as the government would take a huge loss on every car. These protectionism plans have never worked, so why try to repeat history?

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,630 Posts
The Cash for Clunkers bill works for any car built in N. America. I don't see the point in this article considering plenty of Toyotas, Hondas, and Nissans are built here and would qualify. Not to mention the ones built here are for the most part their main cash cows for the US market.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Cash for Clunkers bill works for any car built in N. America. I don't see the point in this article considering plenty of Toyotas, Hondas, and Nissans are built here and would qualify. Not to mention the ones built here are for the most part their main cash cows for the US market.
Maybe because Toyota still imports about 75% of the cars it sells in NA?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Camry,Corolla,Matrix,Tundra,Tacoma,Sienna,Avalon,Venza,Sequoia,Rav4 are built in NA. Factory to build Prius and Highlander in NA pushed back because of economic slowdown.

FJ, 4Runner, Yaris, Prius, Highlander built in Japan.

50% of Toyota's sold in Canada are built in Canada. That number increases dramatically if you include cars built in NA.

·
GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,676 Posts

Not true.

The only hypocrisy I see in that article is the fact that it is not USA manufactured vehicles but North America. Got to support that Mexican economy :disappoin

"However, we would welcome them to build a plant in North America so their product would qualify for vouchers under our plan"

Nothing like adding more money to the fire, can't wait for taxes to go up :headbang:

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The hypocrisy is Japan whining about "Protectionism". They are the epitome of protectionism.

You are right though Dana, I was wrong about 75%. It is actually about 40%. Still a considerable number of imports though.

Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A. (TMS) is the US sales, distribution, and marketing unit for Toyota Motor's Toyota, Lexus, and Scion brands. More than 60% of the 2.6 million Toyotas sold in the US also are made in North America, and Toyota employs more than 36,000 Americans involved in the manufacture, research, financing, marketing, and sales of its cars, light trucks, and SUVs. Sales are conducted through about 1,500 dealerships throughout the US. Founded in 1957, TMS and its subsidiaries are also involved in distribution logistics, motorsports, and general aviation.
Oh and Dana, Toyota also manufactures in Mexico.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Camry,Corolla,Matrix,Tundra,Tacoma,Sienna,Avalon,Venza,Sequoia,Rav4 are built in NA. Factory to build Prius and Highlander in NA pushed back because of economic slowdown.

FJ, 4Runner, Yaris, Prius, Highlander built in Japan.

50% of Toyota's sold in Canada are built in Canada. That number increases dramatically if you include cars built in NA.
In 2008, over one-half of the Toyota vehicles sold in the USA were built in North America. Sales of North American-produced vehicles in 2008 came to 54.9% of the total (1,218,378 out of 2,217,662).

Toyota's most popular models are largely built in North America (including the Corolla and Camry cars, and its pickup trucks, models that would not sell in Japan). The RAV4 is popular, and that is why it has started production in Ontario, Canada. The RX is the most popular Lexus model and it is produced in Ontario, Canada. The Highlander is popular also, and why Toyota originally wanted to build the Highlander in North America, before they decided to build the Prius here (Prius sales in 2008 were greater than Highlander sales). But it seems that North American plants cannot keep up with the demand for Corolla and Camry sales, as there are still a few imported to the USA. So sales of North American-produced vehicles could be higher if Toyota could just build all Corollas and Camrys here in North America.

Source: http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/08-december-sales.aspx

·
GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,676 Posts
as much as $7500 to trade in my kentucky-built camry if i wanted to trade-in for another NA-built vehicle? call me ignorant, but that's cool with me.
lol, same here. But nothing is "free" and that is my point. Is this another "bailout" in the making? I don't trust the guy in office, someone has to pay the Piper someday, and that person is you and I.

·
Noob
469 Posts
The problem I have with this is that eventually the American taxpayers finance this. Why is a portion of my tax dollars going into some other guy's new car?

It's the same argument as the one with the banks, why is my tax dollars going to pay the salaries of failed executives who totally screwed their bank up?

·
Registered
502 Posts
The hypocrisy is Japan whining about "Protectionism". They are the epitome of protectionism.

You are right though Dana, I was wrong about 75%. It is actually about 40%. Still a considerable number of imports though.

Oh and Dana, Toyota also manufactures in Mexico.
So does GM.

How many GM cars and trucks are built in Canada or Mexico and sold here with the good 'ol Stars and Stripes waving in the background?

Last I checked, Canada and Mexico weren't part of the United States.

(Are we going to see silly protests like 25 years ago, then asking people to park their Toyotas & Hondas in Japan; this time asking people to leave their Chevy Suburbans and HHRs in Tijuana?)

Protectionism, by the way, was rampant when imported Japanese trucks were charged a 25% tariff upon arrival in the U.S. in order to protect the Big 3's delicate truck market. That's why we don't see Hino and other high-quality commercial and light trucks. If that doesn't count as a subsidy to U.S. manufacturers, nothing does.

Why is the concept of a multinational corporation such a challenge to some people? A previous post mentioned GM's European operations which, if I'm not mistaken, actually have kept it afloat far longer than its North American operations would have allowed. (Translation: European management isn't as stupid and inbred as North America's.)

Is GM incrementally more patriotic because its multinational headquarters happen to be in Michigan?

I think not.

C

1 - 20 of 33 Posts