Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE: 5-17-19: I can purchase extra keys/fob from dealer now @ cost. Should I?

The dealership that I am purchasing my Avalon from is a non neogitable dealer.
However i asked about purchasing some extra keys/fobs @ cost.
Our salesman said that'd be ok.

He told us to purchase the Avalon's keys and have programed would be between $400-$500.
He said we could purchase some from him right now @ $180.

To me this sounds like a no brainer and I should do it.

Maybe I'll never need to spare keys but it's hard to pass up.

Would you purchase extras?
Or can OEM keys be purchased cheaper?

·
Registered
738 Posts
You can get it cheaper but lot of steps involve and learning. Are you willing to learn and how much is your time worth? Cheaper like 30 or less but not oem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
This thread just reminds me of how much I love my old cars. I got dealer cut factory keys (not duplicates) for my 3 Toyotas 2001, 2000, 1996. Grand total was just under $30 and now my door locks work like new. My best theft deterrent, manual transmission.

Selling the part at cost, maybe? Then you have to pay for the programming, how much is that?

·
Inveterate Tinkerer
2014 Avalon Limited
1,085 Posts
You should be receiving two fobs/keys with the car so unless you're prone to losing them it shouldn't be necessary. If they're telling you there's only one fob, negotiate the second for free not @ cost.

You should also get all the owner's manuals (yep, plural). Be sure to ask if they aren't in the glove box before you take delivery. If the physical books are missing don't worry, they can be downloaded from Toyota.com as a .pdf file. You'll want to sit in the car with the manuals to discover things you might never notice otherwise.

BTW, you can retrieve the entire service history of the car in the service department. Take them the VIN number and they can print the history (at least work done at a Toyota dealership).

You're really going to enjoy driving an Avalon. Let us know when you get it!

Cheers!

·
Registered
2014 Avalon Hybrid,
495 Posts
New car? Used? what year? What do you mean by "extra keys"?
I agree with gadgetjq: I've never needed more than 2 keys per car.

Also, if you want more accurate help here in the future, it helps to put your location (region) in your signature. There are frequently regional differences when discussing engine temps, tires, oil viscosity. Certainly there are regional differences for purchasing/repair costs.

·
PJSMITH
TAH LTD Tech
1,494 Posts
New car? Used? what year? What do you mean by "extra keys"?
I agree with gadgetjq: I've never needed more than 2 keys per car.

Also, if you want more accurate help here in the future, it helps to put your location (region) in your signature. There are frequently regional differences when discussing engine temps, tires, oil viscosity. Certainly there are regional differences for purchasing/repair costs.
YOUR location and exact model and trim REALLY helps everyone help. We have found that regional temperature and humidity affect the car and mechanicals and body parts. You can go to settings and put your details of location and car type in the side bar (Avatar) and or signature. for privacy concerns we don't want your physical address. Southern California or Florida or St Louis is good. This also helps in that there are a few members that live "near" you and can help with advice of good or friendly dealers or independent mechanics that won't hose you with extra unnecessary work.

·
Registered
2014 Avalon Limited
93 Posts
I agree the car should come with 2 key fobs (preferably new ones) especially a C.P.O if purchased it`s supposed to. A third key programmed for 180 dollars is not outrageous. If the car has the OEM remote start it might be a good idea to have a third fob. As long as you plan on keeping the car for a long time. The 3 press start and hold takes a toll on the button membrane eventually. Also the battery change is a delicate procedure being careful not to break the backboard. I would buy a third if I can find one programmed for $180 dollars.
Without the OEM remote starter the buttons on the fob get very little use. The doors and trunk can open with just a touch of the hand so the fobs gets little use. and should last hopefully a long time . The only negatives are if we lose the fob, and whats the life span of these newer key less transmitters?

Shortstop 2014 Avalon

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hybridgrl,

Did you get your Avalon?

Yes we did finally get the car last week.
2015 Big jump from my '98 LX Accord ( 383k miles and still going strong. Except the mine gasoline smell... We're gonna drive it till it dies. Been in the family since '97. What they say about those Accords is legit ! ).
It's a CPO ( lease return I believe ).
It only came with 1 key. I looked online and from what I read Toyota is only required to give you one key.
So I will be contacting the guy for some extra keys.
What do you think? Should I get 2 or 3 keys? I assume the key comes with the fob...? The key is a 2piece system right? Fob and key?

*** I made a post about getting some better lighting. LED vs HID kit. If anyone wants to chime in ( posy below ).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was wondering the same thing.

Yes we did finally get the car last week.
1992 Blizzard white Hybrid Touring. Black interior.Love it so far.
Big jump from my '98 LX Accord ( 383k miles and still going strong. Except the mine gasoline smell... We're gonna drive it till it dies. Been in the family since '97. What they say about those Accords is legit ! ).
It's a CPO ( lease return I believe ).
It only came with 1 key. I looked online and from what I read Toyota is only required to give you one key.
So I will be contacting the guy for some extra keys.
What do you think? Should I get 2 or 3 keys? I assume the key comes with the fob...? The key is a 2piece system right? Fob and key?

*** I made a post about getting some better lighting. LED vs HID kit. If anyone wants to chime in ( posy below ).

·
Inveterate Tinkerer
2014 Avalon Limited
1,085 Posts
1992 Blizzard white Hybrid Touring.
It might be time for a battery change by now :wink:

Congrats on the new (really old) car. Oh, and the key fits into a slot in the fob. Not that you'll ever actually need to use it but in addition to programming the fob to work with your car the key has to be cut which is often a separate fee. The physical key is handy if you want to leave the car running but lock it when you run into the quickie mart.

Cheers!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess I’m a little confused. I asked the dealer for extra keys to purchase. He said it would be $180. That would be at the cost. He said if I didn’t get them at cost would be close to $400 per key. But what confuses me. Is $180 getting just the physical key. Or does that include a key plus father? And does that $180 include key Fob cutting the new key and programming? Is the fob required to use the key To enter the vehicle or start the vehicle? Or do I just need the physical key for all of that?

·
Registered
2013 Avalon Hybrid
79 Posts
I guess I’m a little confused. I asked the dealer for extra keys to purchase. He said it would be $180. That would be at the cost. He said if I didn’t get them at cost would be close to $400 per key. But what confuses me. Is $180 getting just the physical key. Or does that include a key plus father? And does that $180 include key Fob cutting the new key and programming? Is the fob required to use the key To enter the vehicle or start the vehicle? Or do I just need the physical key for all of that?

Did they have keyless back in 1992 ?

My 1999 Avalon has keyless entry but you need a physical key to start the car.

FWIW I have replaced the Keyless remote for my Avalon and was able to get one on eBay and was able to program it myself. Think that all changed around 2002.

·
Registered
894 Posts
There were no Avalons in 1992. If there were, they wouldn’t have been hybrids, as there were no hybrids in 1992.

I’m trying to figure out how any combination of typing errors would have yielded 1992 for a 4th generation Avalon.

Robert N.

·
Registered
2013 Avalon Hybrid
79 Posts
There were no Avalons in 1992. If there were, they wouldn’t have been hybrids, as there were no hybrids in 1992.

I’m trying to figure out how any combination of typing errors would have yielded 1992 for a 4th generation Avalon.

Robert N.
I believe the OP said she bought a 1992 Blizzard Hybrid Touring. This has to be a typo .

·
Registered
2014 Avalon Limited
93 Posts
The physical key is attached to the plastic key ring. press the push button on the side of the fob, and pull the key out. It is only used for entry to the car`s drivers side key hole, when battery is dead. It won`t start the car . You need to go back to your dealer and ask if the new fob is programmed and laser cut for the key hole for the 180 dollars. Not till after they give you a key fob that opens the doors, trunk, and starts the car you should agree to pay them the 180 dollars.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts