Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some people know, the SC400 never was sold in the US as a five speed manual. Before some people say the SC300 did, yes you are correct but that had the 2JZGE(I6 3.0L) and the SC400 has the 1UZFE(V8 4.0L). I bought my 1995 SC400 almost a year ago and knew but didn't really care that it is considered the poor man's Supra and that it shared the same ability to have the 2JZ and be one hell of a car. I had different plans for it and did some research and found it was possible to install a MKIV five speed to the 1UZFE. Enough of the talk on to photos of how you can turn the boring auto V8 into a fun responsive and torquey V8.

Clutch pedal.

Bullet Cars Custom Bellhousing!

New slave cylinder

1UZFE prepped W58

TRD short throw shifter on MKIV shift adapter.

Exedy Sports Tuff Clutch Kit.

SC300 shift bezel

How to install a clutch pedal......the right way.
This kit is essential, makes it so much cleaner and its easy to use.

First pre-drill holes for your two mounting brackets and one for your clutch linkage and boot.

install the punch with cookie cut bit inside the car and flat bit on the outside and tighten till it pulls through and looks like this.

bay view

inside view

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Install master cylinder

route linkage through pedal bracket and install nuts

route the hydraulic line to the transmission.

Remove center console and undo all connectors to the shifter

Lift the car via jack stands, lift or whatever you have.

Remove exhaust.

Remove drive shaft

Now you can remove the bottom bolt for the shifter

Disconnect electrical connections, hydro lines and lower the transmission

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
I'm impressed! I always wanted to do a 5 speed swap into a Lincoln Mark VII, it is mechanically the same as the old Fox Body Mustangs. It's neat to see someone finally see through with something this cool!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I had to source a few parts from the SC300 and some from the MKIV Supra, next I plan to do the LS400 or TT Supra brake upgrade. As you can tell I like to stick with Toyota OEM parts for most of my build, but will go aftermarket if needed.

·
iAzn
1988 toyo Corolla DX
1,492 Posts
I know this thread is a year old, but still on the first page...

I'm actually more compelled to get an SC300/400 now, hopefully as an MT but this is good because I can find nothing but AT. I did a swap on my AE92 corolla, looks just as simple :)

An SCx is my next car planned.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks man, they really are great cars and not to bad to work on them if you know your way around a toolbox, most of the guys that have problems with them either don't know what to look for in a good one or never actually work on it themselves. Get one, just do your research or expect to work on it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Impressive..I was a Lexus Tech for 6 years and I've never seen one done ! How many clutches have you gone thru so far ? The reason I ask is because as far as we were told the V8 had so much torque that a clutch would just burn up , so thats why they never offered one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts