·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 Camry
V6 Automatic
140,000 Miles
Just Serviced by toyota less than 100 miles before this happened

My brother came in for a couple days drove 4 hours to get here. On the way started noticing that his transmission was slipping really bad when he got here. Went to the local toyota dealership and they said that only thing they would do is drive it and see if they could figure out the problem. If not only thing they could do for the transmission is to replace it. We ended up buying the transmission fluid for 40$. Took us about an hour to do it make sure that was done right. When we drained the transmission fluid came out it was coal black. How is this suppose to be lifetime fluid........no such thing, everything breaks down. In the end his car drives better after the change then it ever has. So if your car is shifting bad what do you have to lose change your fluid, take your time and read the forums. I have done this on two toyota vehicles so don't be afraid to try to do it yourself. Thanks for all the help on this forum as it saved my brother 4500$.

·
Toyota Collector
12,119 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Lifetime fluids are not false advertising. The life of your transmission is just shorter. :lol:

Reactions: JimBowNut

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Lifetime fluids are not false advertising. The life of your transmission is just shorter. :lol:

Funniest thing I've heard about this topic. Maybe the toyota service rep's should use this as their selling point...... He made it all the way home after we did this and said that it is still driving better than it ever has. I go up to his house in a couple weeks and we will probably do a complete flush and change the filter. Thanks for the info guys really helped us out alot!!!

·
Registered
08 Camry LE
266 Posts
Last time I heard "lifetime" fluid was still limited to 5 years/100.000 miles. If you just changed it you were over 40,000 miles. I just bought another car and I don't believe half the things the sales guys tell me about the vehicle. I heard one guy at a Nissan dealership tell my mom the maxima's paint was acid rain resistant!

Reactions: JimBowNut

·
Registered
677 Posts
Last time I heard "lifetime" fluid was still limited to 5 years/100.000 miles. If you just changed it you were over 40,000 miles. I just bought another car and I don't believe half the things the sales guys tell me about the vehicle. I heard one guy at a Nissan dealership tell my mom the maxima's paint was acid rain resistant!
You are thinking of warranties, not fluid replacement.

·
Registered
838 Posts
The only problem with changing out the fluid is if you wait (say until 140k, like the OP) your trans is probably so gunked up inside, the new fluid may break some of this down in large chunks. Those can get stuck in the filter, or block passages. Also, with worn out gaskets and seals, the new fluid will eat away at them further. Any leaks that were hiding could show up.

This late in the service life, it's sort of a "you're dammed if you do, you're dammed if you don't" situation.

I'd say do it every 50k.

·
Registered
13 Toyota Tundra
9 Posts
The only problem with changing out the fluid is if you wait (say until 140k, like the OP) your trans is probably so gunked up inside, the new fluid may break some of this down in large chunks. Those can get stuck in the filter, or block passages. Also, with worn out gaskets and seals, the new fluid will eat away at them further. Any leaks that were hiding could show up.

This late in the service life, it's sort of a "you're dammed if you do, you're dammed if you don't" situation.

I'd say do it every 50k.
I full agree. I really would like to change the trans fluid on my wife's Camry (03 SE I4 w/ 132k mi) but I'm afraid it may just do more harm than good at this point. The car still shifts fine, if anything, the shifts are a little harsh, but definitely not slipping, so I may as well keep it as-is.

·
TEXAS Made, love it!
43 Posts
I full agree. I really would like to change the trans fluid on my wife's Camry (03 SE I4 w/ 132k mi) but I'm afraid it may just do more harm than good at this point. The car still shifts fine, if anything, the shifts are a little harsh, but definitely not slipping, so I may as well keep it as-is.
Yep. Ask how I know:headbang:

·
2016 Corolla S Premium
653 Posts
Sneak up on it by doing a drain-and-fill (which only replaces 40% of the entire fluid) a few times over a period of a year. Doing it this way would be the least likely to dislodge debris and have it get trapped in ports, holes, etc.

·
2016 Corolla S Premium
653 Posts
You guys are correct there is no lifetime trans fluid I have been hanging out a transmission shop here in Tustin CA for years since 1975 and have heard all the horrible transmission stories where people just don't change their trans fluid . I have been using Mobil one synthetic trans fluid since 1986 drove a 1986 Toyota Cressida 529,000 with the same trans motor ps and rear end using Mobil one synthetic oils. The new WS oil being used from 2007 and up in Camry's should be changed at 40,000 miles to make sure you tranny last. I have seen the WS trans fluid at 100,000 miles and it is black and burned. My 2006 Camry uses Mobil one trans fluid and I change it every 30,000 miles along with my ps which also uses Mobil one synthetic trans fluid and the Mobil one 5W30 motor oil changed at 15,000 mile and no oil burning. WS is good trans fluid but change it at 40k
When you say 'changed', are you doing a drain-and-fill that replaces about 40% each time it is done...or are you replacing the entire fluid amount with a flushing method or pan drop?

·
Registered
13 Toyota Tundra
9 Posts
Sneak up on it by doing a drain-and-fill (which only replaces 40% of the entire fluid) a few times over a period of a year. Doing it this way would be the least likely to dislodge debris and have it get trapped in ports, holes, etc.
Yeah, I've thought about it. Or the alternative is do nothing, have the tranny turn to crap in a year or two, and voila, new car! I want her to get a new one now, but she doesn't want to...so I just figure I'll do what I can to at least keep it safe and roadworthy. :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts