Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '97 V6 XLE Camry and I been considering putting some money into it and keep it for another 3yrs or so.. So i've been paying close attention to the engine and tranny when driving. My Camry has 150k on it and the engine is wicked strong and the tranny shifts like budda... I have driven the car extremely hard since day one, i change the oil every 6k or so and i can't believe how good shape the motor is in... I'm expecting someting major to happened... Anyway, to get more power out of it i'm planning on putting in one of those TRD superchargers.. Should I do this at 150k or just leave it alone, if i can do it what should i do to the engine?

k....

·
Big Wrench
397 Posts
150K your motor is just getting broken in!:lol: :lol: :lol:

I would do compression check on all cylinders to see the over all health of the motor. If all cylinders are within a few pounds of each other the motor should be fine for a TRD blower. If you have a bad cylinder or two I would overhaul the motor before blowing it.:cool:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL!!! feels like it.. Thankes I'll have that done when I put my suspension in.. Is there anything else I should do to make the Supercharger work better....

·
tC
2007 Scion tC
486 Posts
i would definetly try and keep the boost levels down too prolong engine life. toyotas are very reliable but putting 10psi into a 150K motor, into a engine that had never had boost, may be too much for it to handle.... just my $.02:p:

Casey Caton
95 1MZ-FE
126K miles

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
safc to keep an eye on that air/fuel ratio....don't wanna run lean...

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
If the heads come off have them ported and polish and have your machinst install the largest valves possible. You'll get a huge gain from that and the blower.

·
Whine Connoisseur
6,573 Posts
It's not mandatory, but you could consider getting colder iridium spark plugs. IK22 Denso are popular. A piggy back fuel controller like an Apexi Super Air Fuel Controller (SAFC) is good for 10whp after tuning.

In addition, if you have any intentions of going further with the SC in terms of upgrading pulley, injectors, pump, headers, head...do what you can now and save the labour (asumming you're not DIY).

·
Whine Connoisseur
6,573 Posts
Toysrme said:
If the heads come off have them ported and polish and have your machinst install the largest valves possible. You'll get a huge gain from that and the blower.
Heads don't come off as part of the SC install. Only the intake plenumn.

Just another thought, if you're due for a timing belt and water pump, you might wanna do that at the sametime :)

One more tip, if you're ordering a new kit fromt eh dealer, order the Solara kit. Everything is the same with the exception of a FREE strut tower bar :D

·
yah ..... okay
USE20
383 Posts
Phi said:

One more tip, if you're ordering a new kit fromt eh dealer, order the Solara kit. Everything is the same with the exception of a FREE strut tower bar :D

Only Mr.Phi would know these stuff LoL :D :D :D :D :D but can't go wrong with his advice :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
Also, if you do go ahead with the s/c PLEASE the durtion of your service intervals needs to be reduced from 6K miles! I'd keep it at 3K miles or 5K kms!

·
Diablo
05 Altima SER+93 Cam
353 Posts
My Camry just broke 230k miles this morning and shows NO signs of giving up in the motor/tranny dept *knock on wood* Now my strut mounts and right wheel bearings are a different story..

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
jhbhatia said:
Also, if you do go ahead with the s/c PLEASE the durtion of your service intervals needs to be reduced from 6K miles! I'd keep it at 3K miles or 5K kms!
That all depends on the oil he's using too, and if he gets a turbotimer installed, he'll be perfectly fine.

The oil I'm using right now (Amsoil Turbo 10w30) is rated to 25k miles. Now would I do that on it? No, but 6-10k I'll have no problem with, just keeping an eye on the fluid levels and worrying about my K&N oil filter which should be good for at least 6k.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts